“A step back in time - four stars”
Review of Wilburton Inn

Wilburton Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rowley, Massachusetts
“A step back in time - four stars”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

After booking two days here, I made the mistake of reading reviews.....
Buyer's doubts but I kept an open-mind on this historic inn/hotel.
The whole experience was like a step back in time, back to when travel was an adventure, back to when civility counted, back to when grace mattered.
Even if we hadn't gotten a discount through and online promotion, this stay would have been worth the money.
In the absence of co-owner/hostess Georgette, Jayson filled in admirable. Very helpful, very chatty, very warm and welcoming.
This historic inn reminds me of the mansion in Newport, RI. The dark woodwork, the ornate carving, the elegance.
Every bit of the property is an amazement. The artwork, the sculpture, the atmosphere was amazing. The stately manor, with it's sitting rooms, the original billards room (now serving as a four-star restaurant, the oversized fireplaces, the heavenly smell of sage/herbs filling the air.
The room, No. 12, was delightful. The bed comfortable, the bathroom squeaky clean, plenty of hotwater and comfy towels.
Breakfasts were wonderful. A French chef is a big bonus to the dining experience there. Made to order omlettes, french toast, real homemade grain breads, great Green Mountain coffee. Couldn't have asked for more.
Usually, I begin my reviews with what the experience was not.....This is not a Holiday Inn Express, no indoor pool, no sauna, no fitness center, no business center, but who needs them when you have turn-of-the-century elegance?
Definitely four-stars. Great value, great experience, great lodging.

Room Tip: Main house.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank newzmanpro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This past weekend I celebrated my birthday in Manchester VT. The Wilburton inn was the perfect choice ! The location was perfection ! Close to town yet not amongst the shops and main streets ,nice views of the country side and the staff was warm and inviting ..great for all ages ..beautiful rooms and a warm toasty fire in the great room .I will most definitely go back and recommend to friends. Cozy and filled with character and ambience .

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Christineg28
Bath, Maine
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This is the kind of place that you tell your family & friends about - and hope to share with all of them..
After my husband and I enjoyed a romantic stay in early September 2011, I returned at the end of October the same year with one of my best friends for a "girl's getaway". This time, we enjoyed the elegant ambience and service in the dining room (the Banquet & Service Manager at this establishment is professional and truly exceptional in his attention to detail) - it turned into a 3-hour culinary experience I shall not forget!
Just like last time, our rooms were deliciously appointed and clean - both were located in the main mansion.
If I am able to make it back this winter, I plan to bring my cross country skis to explore the area around the beautiful town of Manchester - one of my favorite little corners of New England.
Thank you, Wilburton Inn - Owners, Management & Crew - for sharing this gem in such a loving fashion!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Reiselysten777
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I've never written a review before but this place was so horrible I had to warn others not to stay here! The smell when you walk in the room is so overwhelming with cleaning chemicals we had to leave and go into town immediately with all the windows open to air out the place. The service was horrible. The owner was so rude. The rooms were sooo overpriced you get fooled online into thinking it will be beautiful Inn. The carpet on the floor is so gross- we made sure to wear our socks when we walked to the bathroom we were so grossed out. We had friends staying in another room and we compared to see which room was worse—I think they may have actually won since their bedspread was disgusting (I won’t even go into detail). We both tried to get out of our second night and go stay at the Equinox but they wouldn’t let us cancel the reservation. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Equinox Resort a mile down the street- it’s more expensive but worth it for a clean, beautiful room---great service, great facility, and an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Meg T
wilburton1, Owner at Wilburton Inn, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
This guests stayed with us during the busy vacation week. It is comforting to me that the same day this review was posted, a guest who had stayed in the same room earlier in the week emailed to book a family reunion. I don't believe I was rude to the reviewer. I invited her to sit in the living room, but i said that she could not bring in her own beer because our liquor license includes service in the living room. I should have offered to buy her and her husband a beer and wished them a Happy New Year.
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We recently visited the beautiful Wilburton Inn for a weekend. We were warmly welcomed by the owner, Georgette, and she immediately made us feel comfortable and at home. Our room was the perfect size for us two. The furniture had an antiquey feel that you can't get in a corporate hotel. The decor of the inn was exquisite, with paintings and other art valuables that had us wandering around all the floors exploring. The grounds were beautiful, and even in the cold November, we felt we had to roam around and enjoy the gorgeous atmosphere. We would definitely return if we had the opportunity!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple