1,620 results
All reviews cooking class chef's table culinary institute outlet mall tavern restaurant main building indoor pool hot tub steam room couples massage tennis courts grounds are beautiful room was large great weekend fitness center cookies spent two nights
Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

We chanced upon staying here thanks to a Groupon Boston alert and offer. We could stay for just two nights but it would be great for a longer stay too. The room we had was well furnished and well-equipped. Quiet, comfortable--if not a bit too warm for folks who live in cooler rooms at home--but very accommodating. We used the pool and hot tub after a day of sightseeing and shopping, but others there had been out skiing too! We wished we could have done more, but time was short. Worth a careful look and longer stay next time!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GuestExperience_2016, General Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2017

Thanks for getting away at The Essex Clara B. We love helping guests make the most out of quick getaways and longer vacations as well. Mother Nature has certainly made this a fabulous year for skiing, and hopefully that will make a great summer for exploring. From tennis to golf to hiking and biking, we can keep you busy for a summer. Hopefully, we can welcome you back again soon.

Nic B

Reviewed 8 March 2017

Great weekend escape for anyone who enjoys food, cooking, relaxing. Can't say enough wonderful things about this place. The Tavern was excellent on food quality, service, drinks, and selections. One of the most elegant burgers I have ever eaten. Highly recommend the Vermont mule, an excellent drink choice. The Spa was relaxing and soothing. One of the best yoga classes I have ever taken. The cooking class was fun, professional but not stiff, and engaging. Felt we learned a lot from Chef Lisa.

Room tip: Closest to the main lodge is helpful in the cold weather
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

It sounds like you enjoyed a full Vermont experience during your visit staceyfinn. Thank you for allowing us to be your home away from home for the weekend. Vermont Mules are definitely a favorite recommendation of our bartenders - we are glad to hear that you liked them. If you didn't have a chance on this visit, be sure to try some of our Vermont local beers on your next visit. Heady Topper is definitely a fan favorite, but there are quite a few others that you will only find in VT.

See you soon,

Nic B.

Reviewed 7 March 2017

Three of us decided to have a girls weekend. I had purchased a Groupon for the Essex two years ago and had a very nice time, so I figured I'd see if they were offering the same Groupon this year. I purchased the Groupon and called reservations for help in picking dates and getting a room assignment. To my delight I got Lindsey Haddock on the line! Via the phone and emails, she helped me every step of the way with extraordinary service! She was pleasant, funny, and thorough!! She was able to provide us with an upgraded room and even sent us a plate of chocolate covered strawberries upon our arrival! I sincerely wish that every hotel stay experience could be put together by her, it was perfection!!! And, I believe I've made a friend during the process too!!

Our room was so nice! Clean, lots of space, and a fireplace! The beds were soft and so, so comfy! We participated in a cooking class on Friday night. Italian Winter was the class and Chef Stephen Schneider and his assistant Justin were our hosts. What adorable and knowledgeable gentlemen! The food was fantastic and fun was had by all!

On Sunday we had a spa day. And so we didn't have to rush, Lindsey arranged for us to have late checkout (what a perfect angel)! I had a deep tissue massage by Brian. I've had a massage at pretty much every destination I've visited and Brian's technique is definitely in my top five massages ever! He was phenomenal...magic in his hands! I wish he lived much closer to me!!

Overall we had a fantastic weekend in beautiful Vermont and at the Essex! I can't wait to return!!!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thanks to you and your girlfriends for returning to The Essex rayne1269! Our entire team was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially Lindsey, Stephen and Brian. Your kind words made their day. We have lots of great activities coming up over the summer - be sure to watch our website and social media. It would be great to welcome you back again soon.

Nic B.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I live 20 mins down the road and wanted a short and fun get away. The only positive part of the stay was the outdoor hot tub. I've stayed here many times over the past six years in Burlington, with countless reassurances that they are revamping the hotel and focusing on customer service. This visit assured me that they may say they are trying to get better, but it's not showing at all to the guests.

The two people at the front desk when we checked in could not have been more ambivalent and passive. They were not friendly or welcoming at all and seemed annoyed that we were there. There was a long awkward silence when they were "looking" for a room to assign us.

The room we stayed in was uninspiring and outdated. It had a small, queen bed, and the mattress was awful. It didn't feel cozy or romantic.

We took a quick dip in the hot tub, which was awesome, and headed to dinner at the Tavern. We ordered a salad, nachos, and a burger, and it was just icky and greasy pub food. Not at all "culinary," special, or memorable.

When we woke up in the morning, I realized the comforter was loosely covered with only flat bed sheets, and when they slipped off, the comforter underneath was dirty and had brown stains all over - gross!

Breakfast that morning was also sub par. I ordered the eggs Benedict, which was swimming in water on my plate. I don't know if it was from the poached eggs or the steamed kale, but it was like eating out of a puddle.

Overall, it was a disappointing experience, and this feels like the last straw after years of promises of improvement. None of the staff we encountered was friendly, said hello in the halls, or asked us if we were enjoying our stay. The mediocre room and food certainly didn't make up for it. For the cost of the trip, I wish we had just stayed at home.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jordan R
Reviewed 2 March 2017

Certainly more pros than cons on this trip. We had a nice little couples retreat for some vacation fun. The outdoor hot tub was fantastic, the pool was nice, the rooms were extremely nice and clean, overall the place was very inviting. We ate at both the tavern and the Junction (fancier restaurant) and both with excellent. Our waiter (David maybe) was quite possibly the best waiter I've ever experienced. The only issue I have with our room was it's location next to the cooking classes that are offered. When we entered the room it smelled like pizza (garlic mostly). The kitchen for the classes was right next door and A LOT of the smells from the kitchen drifted over. We went "nose blind" to it after a little while but every time we came back into the room we had to get used to it again. When there was actually a class going on the smell was even more. It smelled pretty good but we didn't get to eat any of it so that was a bummer, perhaps we should have signed up. The bed was comfortable and clean. The shower was OK but would have liked a little more water pressure. Overall I would have absolutely no problem going back to this property. It was really nice.

Room tip: Ask if you can be away from the kitchen(s).
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank OswegoMatt

Thank you for visiting us OswegoMatt. We are honored to hear that you enjoyed some couples time! It sounds like you found many of the amenities that we are excited to share with our guests as Vermont's Culinary Resort. The next time you visit, be sure to book a spot in Cook Academy - you won't be disappointed. But also tell us you prefer a room a bit farther from the kitchens. We are always happy to help guests find the perfect room.

Nic B