“Nice hotel. Not so nice location.”

Hyatt House Salt Lake City/Sandy
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Reviewed 13 August 2017

I will start with this...I would give the hotel 3.5 stars if it were possible. It's not average (3) but it's not really very good (4) either. But because the staff were generally very friendly and helpful and the hotel was nice and clean, I will give it 4. Please read through to understand why I am struggled to give it a 4, particularly the last paragraph.

The hotel is quite nice. The lobby is sleek and modern and the front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a one bedroom suite which was large and very clean. It had a full kitchen with a small dining table, bench and chair. The floor was laminate which was good for us since we had our dogs with us. A big sectional with a ottoman was in the living area and it made into a bed. I know that sofa beds are rarely comfortable but this one was particularly uncomfortable according to my 15 year old son. The only problem with the living/dining area was that the sectional is right up against the kitchen island and our dogs were unfortunately able to easily get from the back of the sectional up on to the kitchen counter. The bed in the bedroom was very comfortable with nice sheets. There was a vanity next to the bed with a chair. The bathroom was very large. Decent counter space, big shower, closet and toilet. Much bigger than a lot of hotels in this price range. We were a bit surprised that they only provided a little bottle of shampoo and conditioner and two bars of soap. No shower gel, Q-tips, cotton balls, etc. Unless I completely missed it, there was no safe in the room. There were lots of choices for breakfast but it was pretty standard. There was a woman working the omelette station and cleaning the tables. I made a point to be friendly since she seemed kind of miserable but my gesture was met with little in return. There is no room service which can be a pain. We did not eat in the restaurant nor did we use the pool but it looked nice. The laundry facilities were good; three washing machines and six dryers (although two were out of order). I think there must be several laundry facilities on the property. The grounds are nicely maintained. There is an area in the back corner of the parking lot for the dogs to do their business. The hotel even provides bags for the waste. The only issues was some old garbage under the bushes which a dog could easily eat and that there was a big gapping hole in the fence which could allow a dog to slip through easily if off leash. Getting over to the other side of the fence would take a lot of time and effort on the owner's part and could be very dangerous for the dog since that is a construction area right now. (Yes, I know - dogs should be on leash...). After the second night of seeing the same man and woman in a truck at the back of the parking lot, we told the front desk and they said they'd call the police. When we took the dogs out later, the truck was gone. Made we think that the hotel wasn't patrolling the hotel/parking lot enough if I was able to notice but they weren't.

I would consider staying at the hotel again but for one thing...the location. There is absolutely nothing around but construction and large businesses. No restaurants, coffee shops, etc. You have to get in your car and drive for everything. And I would never stay in a room facing the freeway. It is an incredibly loud freeway even at night when traffic is light because there is absolutely no sound barrier/wall. I would say that isn't the hotel's fault but I'm 100% positive that the freeway was there before the hotel. So if you are staying there and are a light sleeper, take a room on of the sides or at the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: The freeway is very loud so don't take a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
HhSandyGeneralMgr, General Manager at Hyatt House Salt Lake City/Sandy, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Dear McClintockZoo,

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words regarding our property and team. We will be sharing your experience with our entire team, and will continue to focus on ensuring each guest stay is the very best it can be.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I am a light sleeper and getting a good night's sleep is pretty important to me. I asked for a quiet room but there are only so many two-bedroom "trio" suites in the hotel so was given a room facing I-15. As others have reviewed, and I will attest, light sleepers will absolutely not get a good night's sleep in a room facing I-15 in this hotel. One of my fellow travelers in my party, announced that he found ear plugs in the drawer so that was a bit of a warning sign. (I don't wear ear plugs when sleeping.) Around 2 am, on the first night, I finally turned on the fan for the rest of the night and that did help drown out the awful highway drone.

The next morning, I was able to switch rooms to a suite in the corner of the hotel on the ground floor. And I ran the fan all night the next night in that room. So, it was nice that the front desk person was helpful and able to accommodate my request to switch to another, more isolated (from I-15) room. However, as that room faced the parking lot and was on the ground floor, the bright light from the parking lot made for quite a bright room in the kitchen/living room area overnight. So with a sleeping person on the pull-out that could potentially be a nuisance. Perhaps, so black out curtains are needed for that kitchen window or were missing?

The hotel does look very nice throughout, to include the rooms. And the rooms are very spacious. The kitchen is nice and well stocked. There is plenty of seating in the kitchen and living area of the suites for a party of 4-6, so that is appreciated as well. And the breakfast, a.k.a., the morning spread was pretty decent. We also enjoyed the outdoor pool and appreciated that it was a salt water pool.

As I was the only one in my traveling party who is a light sleeper and so had an issue with the highway noise, we would likely return here again in the future. I just wished it had better soundproofing so that I wouldn't have to worry if I will get a quiet room or a room directly facing I-15 when staying here next time.

Room Tip: light sleepers should reuquest a room not facing I-15

Dear ChillaxingDog,

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review our property. We will continue to focus on ensuring each guest stay is the very best it can be. Thank you for your kind words regarding your overall experience at our hotel. We always appreciate the opportunity to improve our property and services, and look forward to welcoming you again the next time your travels bring you to the Sandy area.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2017

My daughter and I were in town for a Perfectly Posh convention. This hotel was extremely convenient to the south town expo center. The hotel was very clean. Will only warn that they allow pets. The room was big with a kitchen. Comfortable bed and nice couch. Even has a DVD player.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Dear U2087WLelizabethh,

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review our hotel. We are delighted to know that we have exceeded your expectations, and look forward to welcoming you again when your travels bring you to Sandy!

Warm regards, General Manager - Hyatt House, Salt Lake City/Sandy

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy
0.7 km away
2 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandy
2.4 km away
Home2 Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City/South Jordan, UT

Been to Hyatt House Salt Lake City/Sandy? Share your experiences!