Amber Inn B&B(Rockville)
Travelocity
All reviewsanniversary suitesun roomprivate bathroompool arearelaxing stayemerald poolspringdale restaurantsevery morningvisiting zionthree nightsday hikingpark entrancewarnermaureenbackyardoscarsaccommodations
Reviewed 26 May 2017

My husband and I recently spent a week at the Desert Thistle Inn. It was a wonderful and relaxing experience all around. As a matter of fact, I remembered how to relax for the first time in 15 years. I attribute this to not just the ambience of the inn, but even more so to Maureen. We read many reviews about how wonderful Maureen and Warner are, how welcoming and special they are. We liked the looks of the inn and it's rooms in the pictures online and decided to book the Emerald Pool room for a week.

This was our first vacation in four years, so it was important to us that it be special. Unfortunately Warner was not there as he was in the hospital at that time; so we were very sorry not to meet him and hope to next time we go, which we surely will. Maureen more than made up for it with her interesting and easy conversations. I enjoyed my visits with her every bit as much as spending time in Zion or Bryce Canyon. She had so many interesting stories and she was one of those rare folk who make you feel as though listening to what you have to say is the most important thing in the world. A rare gift indeed!

Her dogs were awesome and helped alleviate the missing of our own four pets. Maureen only let them into the back yard when we asked for them and only when we were the only guests out back. They were so well mannered and quiet, A real joy.

After long days of activity, there was nothing more relaxing than sitting in the backyard by the pool, the vista of the beautiful rock formations spread out in front of us. It was wonderful! We'd stay out there until it got dark and the stars came out.

Maureen gave us vouchers for breakfast at a local eatery (the best in town) and we could get up whenever we wanted and meander into town and over to Oscars for breakfast (as long as it was before 11am). The breakfasts were great and they were filling. In fact, we found that Oscar's breakfasts pretty much filled us up for the rest of the day, so we never did try any of the other local restaurants for dinner.

Our room at the inn was very comfortable, the bed was equal in comfort to our new temperpedic mattress at home, and the bathroom with it's huge tub was perfect.

Maureen, I can't thank you enough for giving me the gift of your friendship and the most relaxing stay in many, many years. We hope to be back soon!

Kay

Sent from my iPad

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

I would give it more than 5 stars, if I was allowed to. The B&B is well decorated, has comfortable beds and the perfect host.
We stayed in the anniversary suite with a private bathroom and a hot tub. The pictures online dont do justice to the room.
Maureen is a very sweet lady and fun to talk to. She adds to the overall positive experience of the B&B. Desert Thistle, you have a repeating visitor.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

I didn't actually get to stay here. I booked a weekend trip for my anniversary for March, booked on Valentine's Day. I called a couple of days later to find out if it was okay that we were arriving in the evening to see if anyone would be there or what we need to do. The voicemail was full and no one picked up. I thought it was odd, but forgot about it.

Fast forward to the week before my anniversary and I found out my husband had to work. I tried calling multiple times to cancel our reservation. Again, no one ever answered and the voicemail was full. I tried emailing the address on the website and it got kicked back. I also emailed Maureen's personal email that I found on the reservations site and got no answer. Panicking, I wasn't sure what to do as I didn't want to be charged $300 for a trip I wasn't taking.

I ended up messaging the Facebook page. It showed my message was read but no one ever responded to me. I ended up getting three auto generated emails that the charge and deposit for the room was $0. I assumed this was my cancellation.

I never heard from anyone at all throughout this entire process. I would not recommend as this is horrible customer service and I imagine if you have any kind of problem you are going to be completely out of luck. I was really disappointed because of the high ratings.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wwanderlustt
Reviewed 5 November 2016

We stayed here for 4 nights while we hiked in Zion National Park during each day. We found the owner to be pleasant and helpful. The room was clean and provided what we needed, including a good-sized refrigerator, king-size bed, and private bathroom. Breakfast is provided by a voucher for Oscar's restaurant in Springdale (4 miles away and near Zion), which turned out to be a great place to eat.

Some B&B's are more social places that others. We found this one to be quiet and undemanding of our time. No one expected us to entertain them with our conversation, which was fine with us. There were areas where you could play a game or watch TV or socialize if you wanted to do that, but you had a TV in your room and could spend time there if you preferred to do that.

I think this B&B suffers from what some others do in that our room was a bit over-decorated. Sometimes it is best to have plenty of counter space and real towel racks rather than decorative racks and lots of big candles and other things here and there. We moved some of the things out of the way and managed just fine. There were empty drawers for our clothes and the refrigerator was inside a piece of furniture which eliminated any noise.

There was plenty of parking. Even though this was near the highway that goes toward Zion National Park, it was a quiet place to stay.

The price seemed high, but it was pretty much in line with other hotels and B&Bs in the area.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BJW17
Reviewed 21 October 2016

We enjoyed a couple of days here. The home is beautiful with amazing views. Maureen and her dogs were very sweet. Our room was very lovely. The bed was so soft and made for a relaxing retreat after spending our days hiking through Zion. Maureen gave us great recommendations for food.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple