“I had a pleasant stay and I look forward to returning!”
Review of Nights Inn

Nights Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Richfield
Barstow, Calif.
“I had a pleasant stay and I look forward to returning!”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I stayed at the Nights Inn on my birthday(June 25) and it was a very nice stay. The room (#14) was spotless, the shower and TV were perfect. No noise from other guests (hotel was sold out) and the street was so far away that I did not hear anything. I travel a lot and I can't remember a better free breakfast at a hotel. The breakfast is in a restaurant sized area within the hotel. The bed was perfect and I got a great nights sleep. You can go up the street and pay twice as much (I checked) for an experience that is no better and for a breakfast that is nowhere near as good. Give the Nights Inn a try and you'll have a nice experience there.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Bruceline100
BHrich, Manager at Nights Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi, Bruceline100. We are very pleased to know about your memorable stay at our Hotel. Thank you for sharing. Recently we have upgraded our hotel rooms and other amenities. So, next time if you are around, please visit our hotel to experience comfort, clean and memorable stay. Wish you a happy holidays!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Our family has been staying at this Budget Host Nights Inn for over 30 years now, and we have perhaps an expert's take on this lodging. I wish I could recommend it as I have done so in the past, but to be bluntly honest, I can't anymore.

Our experience from the drive up, in sequence: "Always the lowest rates" beckons the white neon sign below the "(K)Nights Inn" streetside sign. Looks the same from the street as it always has, so I pull up to the driveway. Checking in was easy and courteous enough, and the rate - *including* tax - for two was $52. Seems fine by me so far.

Getting to the room, I noticed that the parking lot was very empty, even though it was suppertime. The parking lot felt rough and uneven to my feet, which were in sandals. No repaving in many years, I would say. Not a good start.

Inside the room, I noticed right away that the red carpet, first laid down in probably circa 1980, was still there. Still in one piece, but well worn (not bare, though) and soft to the touch. Shedding, even. We tested all items in the room (plumbing, light fixtures, etc.) as we always do upon getting a room, and we found that one light by the side of the queen size bed was not working. Replacing bulbs didn't help. Checked the outlet, it was plugged in. So the light fixture needed repair/replacement. Everything else worked fine, including the television (which included cable channels such as several ESPN offerings as well as Fox News), microwave and dormitory size refrigerator. We had to set the time to the microwave, and the refrigerator had to be plugged in. No biggie on those. The television channel lineup was way out of date - we had to find our preferred programming by channel surfing on our own. Another sign of cheapness.

Mattress and pillows were fine - in fact, the pillows were on the large size. When it came to the blanket and bedspread, however, we were disappointed in the thinness of each. In fact, we could see through the blanket! Good thing it was almost Summer. Air conditioner/heating system built in below the windows worked fine, but it is obvious to us, veteran, seasoned travelers, that this unit has been in this location for a long time. The fan speed and quietness are no match for say, a newer remodeled Motel 6 accommodation (of which there are none in Richfield).

The room furniture is worn to the point where the bed side stand drawer wouldn't open and shut freely. It worked, but was warped. Yes, it worked, but this drawer was way past its prime. Other wood type furniture is likewise worn and in need of replacement.

Bathroom towels were all complete, with the right number, sizes and appropriate quality. The marble vanity is a quality plus - and a harbinger of bygone days when this place kept out the competition offered by folks such as Super 8 next to Interstate 70. But no more. Too many little things that are no longer at the same level of quality as they always used to be here. Too much deferred remodeling and maintenance

For the final touches on how this place has gone downhill, let's discuss a relatively minor offering: the complimentary continental breakfast. Decades ago, the historic building which houses the front desk, breakfast dining room, and still houses the now off limits nonworking toilets and restaurant was in better upkeep and repair. What doesn't work up to snuff or is unused is now chained off to guests. All that remains is the front desk and the breakfast room. My memories of what was offered for breakfast at Nights Inn are much more than what is offered now. Missing: waffles, pancakes, bagels, cream cheese, real butter, real orange juice, and real silverware. Now all that remains is cheap WalMart foodstuffs such as the bread, cold cereal, hot oatmeal packets, milk, fake orange juice, and Parkay squeeze margarine. It's nice they still have the cinnamon sugar container out for cinnamon toast like in the old days, but it's not going to make me believe this is a worthwhile continental breakfast. Yes, there's fresh coffee and hot chocolate packets, teabags with hot water and styrofoam plates and cups (and sturdier paper cups for the coffee) but it's simply not what was offered in years and decades past. Reeks of cheapness.

A lot of the clientele here for many years has been contractors and building tradesmen traveling for the work they provide to the rural areas they service. Much like Holbrook, Arizona. They were not present this particular Father's Day Sunday evening. Wonder if they are still coming here.

In summary, too many small details show there is a definite decline in quality lodging here. There's competition in Richfield, and worth your kind consideration. Please continue on south to a place I had forgotten about in the midst of returning home, but remembered again the morning we left Richfield. It's my next review.

If you had to stay here for a night, you'd do alright.. It's just that there's better offerings available. I am trying to be kind, because this place was once the gold standard for quality and economy on the road for our family. I don't know why the decline happened. It saddens me.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms probably get less use/wear and tear
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Underdog_SPP
BHrich, Manager at Nights Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi, Underdog_SPP. We are extremely sorry to know about the problems you have faced during your stay at our hotel. As now the hotel is run by a new management, we have already made sure all the feedbacks and comments from our customers have been properly addressed. Next time if you are around, I want you to visit our hotel and see the difference. Thank you for your response. Wish you a happy holidays!

Travellers are raving about these Richfield hotels

Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed there for one night. The room smelled stale. There were webs everywhere. And no, not cob webs.. there were a few unwanted spiders with us. The towels in the bathroom were dirty. Rust stains and black stuff on the towels. The tub was terrible! When we turned on the faucet brown stuff came out, along with a hairy, large spider. There was dust on the bed spread... the heater made an awful noise. The remote didn't work. And the staff was rude!

I'm wishing I could have given a score of 0 rather then having to put a 1. Don't stay here!!!

J.Knight

• Stayed October 2010
BHrich, Manager at Nights Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi, mrsjknight. We are extremely sorry to know about the problems you have faced during your stay at our hotel. As now the hotel is run by a new management, we have already made sure all the feedbacks and comments from our customers have been properly addressed. Next time if you are around, I want you to visit our hotel and see the difference. Thank you for your response. Wish you a happy holidays!
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I stayed here reluctantly because of the bad reviews, but our car had broke down and we were short on cash and did not have much of a choice. I was very pleasantly suprized! The room was very clean and comfortable. Staff went out of there way to help us. Breakfast was small but adaquate. Cute little coffee shop and boutique attached to the motel. The motel was centrally located, which was nice since we had to walk everywhere while our car was getting fixed. Small Quiet town, we were lucky to have car problems here, everyone was so nice to a family in need. We had a wonderful stay! I would defenately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank dandkburt4
BHrich, Manager at Nights Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi, dandkburt4. We are very pleased to know about your memorable stay at our Hotel. Thank you for sharing. Recently we have upgraded our hotel rooms and other amenities. So, next time if you are around, please visit our hotel to experience comfort, clean and memorable stay. Wish you a happy holidays!
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Arrived in Richfield late at night, decided on a cheap stay with Budget Host Nights Inn. Big mistake! I don't mind a cheap, Motel 6-like place, especially for just one night, but this place was disgusting. The wall plate for the outlet was dangling out of the wall, I think a couple of the lights didn't work, there were stains all over, and worst of all, it looked like there were splashes of puke around the toilet rim. Nice cleaning job! Plus, as I was lugging my bags upstairs (from the last parking spot in their cramped lot), there were a couple of teenaged/young 20-something guys outside who seemed a bit sketchy--made me nervous about my car.

It was so bad that after arriving very late at night, exhausted, and lugging all of my stuff up to the room, I decided to leave. I went and got my money back and went to the Quality Inn, which is now one of my favorite hotels--it's wonderful!

I will say at least the lady at the front desk of the BH Nights Inn was nice about giving me my money back. She offered to change my room, but I declined. (Why would the maids do a better job cleaning one room than another? Ew.)

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
BHrich, Manager at Nights Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi, roadgal12. We are extremely sorry to know about the problems you have faced during your stay at our hotel. As now the hotel is run by a new management, we have already made sure all the feedbacks and comments from our customers have been properly addressed. Next time if you are around, I want you to visit our hotel and see the difference. Thank you for your response. Wish you a happy holidays!