“Canyons Resort Spa”

Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Madison, Wisconsin
“Canyons Resort Spa”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We've been to a number of resort & spa locations. We're apprehensive when we book deep tissue massages, this was not the case at this location. From the minute we walked in we felt we may have hit this one right. My therapist Wendy was an accomplished therapist with 12 years of experience that in a limited time frame (50 minutes,) was able to hit all the muscles that needed attention.
My wife had Sarah sp?, who according to KJ, was awesome. She had an exfoliation seaweed wrap prior to the massage and was given the ultimate compliment, "she knows muscles." The swim through pool to the hot tubs is a cool feature. Small and less tha some of the Relais & Chateaux locations we've been to in the past, this is a great après ski activity.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Jimmienay
GenManager1, General Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
What a great review on our Canyons Resort Spa! I was so pleased to hear that Wendy and Sarah did such a great job eliminating your apprehension with a deep tissue massage. It sounds like these ladies hit all of those "muscles that needed attention".
Also glad that you felt that the "swim through pool to the hot tubs is a cool feature".....one of the many great attractions that we offer at The Grand Summit and Canyons Resort.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
All the Best
Canyons Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Jersey
Reviewed 28 February 2012

The locals were complaining about a lack of snow - but don't they always? We thought there wasmore than enough of the white stuff at The Canyons for us to enjoy 8 uninterrupted days of skiing. Whatever the conditions, Grand Summit Hotel is perfectly located to enjoy them. The two principal lifts - an 8 person gondola and a 4 seater covered chair - are literally on the doorstep: when the brochure says, "ski in, ski out" on this occasion it doesn't lie. Ours was a one bedroom suite of generous proportions - we could have entertained 6 guests to dinner in comfort - which was adequately, if unimaginatively furnished and decorated. There was generous storage space. The staff were smiley, friendly and helpful and the restaurants on the property were of a good standard.

We skied Deer Valley, 15 minutes away, but for us The Canyons rated a better option and in Grand Summit we think we were introduced to Utah's ideal ski lodge.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Bobsbest
Thank you for taking the time to write about The Grand Summit being "The Ideal Utah Ski Lodge". Wow! 8 uninterrupted days of skiing and that we were in the perfect location to enjoy them. I was also pleased to hear that our staff members were "smiley, friendly and helpful" and that you enjoyed our wide variety of restaurants. Hearing that The Canyons was a better option than Deer Valley brought a big smile to my face.........
Thank you again for your most positive comments.
Sincerely
Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Canyons is a fantastic place to stay if you are a skiier/snowboarder. The balcony from our room looked out at the Canyon's Orange Bubble lift chair. It was a blast to wake up, run outside and hope on the lift. I think our room was smaller than most (our friend's room was 3x the size), the only downfall was that the fireplace was beautiful but in order to use it, we had to keep the balcony door open because it warmed up the room way too quickly. The hotel itself is a classic, upscale ski resort- super comfortable beds, quiet at night so you can get a good night's rest, lots of places to eat, and a great spa.

The ski mountain itself is my favorite in Park City. It's an incredible experience; great snow, amazing trails and fun restaurants strategically placed throughout the mountain so you can stop and have a beer with a chicken sandwich. I think there are over 8 mountains and 4000 acres- you can easily find a place and feel like you are the only one on the mountain.

I'd highly recommend this hotel and mountain if you are looking to enjoy a ski trip out to Park City!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the corner rooms...they are small.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cynd113
Glad to hear that you felt "Canyons is a great place to stay if you are a skier/snowboarder". Your comments on Grand Summit being a "classic, upscale ski resort...super comfortable beds, quiet at night, with lots of place to eat and a great spa". I was also pleased to hear that our mountain was an incredible experience with great snow, amazing trails and fun restaurants placed throughout the mountain.......I couldn't have said it any better!
Thanks for taking the time to write about your outstanding experience and for "highly recommending our hotel and mountain"......
Hope to see you back in Park City again soon!
Sincerely
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This review applies to the "hotel" room stay, not the parlor or suite stay. We had no idea that the room we reserved was really part of a condominium unit. It smaller than ANY hotel/motel room I have ever stayed in. My college dorm room was larger. It had two beds and a small student desk and chair, NO chair to sit comfortably. The room was too small to fit a chair into it! In fact, there is no comfortable place to sit in the entire Grand Summit. Why?

1) The lobby has a few large leather chairs and couch. However, it is not heated sufficiently. There is a small gas fireplace that provides no heat. The lobby is so small that the front door constantly lets in the cold. Most guests wear their parkas if sitting on those chairs.

2) I asked at the front desk where I could sit and read a book, relax, given there was no chair in my room. I was actually told to sit by the elevators! There is a lounge but it is for "owners only."

3) The First Track Cafe in the lobby is a small room with counter service. It has metal chairs and small tables. It is so cold in there, that my fingers were BLUE while I ate! There is no place to order a "made to order" breakfast. There is a wonderful buffet in the Cabin restaurant if you want a large meal.

4) The Red Tail restaurant (open for lunch and dinner) has excellent food, and we would have enjoyed eating many meals there. However, the music is so loud that our large group couldn't talk at our table. We went twice, never went back. No place for children. It is basically a bar on the slopes. No comfortable place for a leisurely meal. I guess they want to turn the tables quickly, encourage drinking. The food is very good, though.

5) We wanted to order room service but again, no table, no chair to at which to sit and eat! Dinner in bed makes me feel like I am a hospital patient.

The sheets were not changed during the entire stay. I asked at the front desk and was told that they are changed ever three days. In fact, this never happened. The room is very clean and the towels are very nice.

The Grand Summit has an excellent executive chef. The new Farm Restaurant is the best part of the "hotel". It is worth eating there, even if you stay in town. In fact, the food is the saving grace of this place.

I had read that the "hotel" included HBO service. This is no longer true. Bring your DVD's.

In summary, if you are used to staying at a nice hotel, this is not it. It might be great as a condo unit, where you have a place to sit and relax other than a motel bed.

Room Tip: Stay in a large condo or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank PSO123
GenManager1, General Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience at the Grand Summit. Regarding the size of your room, I can tell you that some of our single hotel rooms that connect to a large living room and kitchen are in fact quite small. Many of our guests appreciate the coziness of a small room with a fireplace, however in your case I can certainly understand your concern.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food in our restaurants, however sorry to hear that the noise level made it difficult to enjoy.
I would like to speak with you personally regarding your stay, which will allow me to offer some type of compensation for your less than perfect visit. I'm confident that we will be able to convince you to return to Grand Summit, where we will have the opportunity of creating an Extraordinary Experience for you and your family. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Vice President of Lodging
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This resort will bill your credit card in full for your visit before you even have arrived.($1300.00) Once I arrived, I was given a small room with no working TV, across from the maids room and over the maintenance shed. I called and spoke to 3 different people requesting any other room anywhere is the resort and no effort was made to accomodate my request. My calls were not returned over the four days I was registered there. They have a 45 day cancellation rule so I had no options and they knew it. I stayed at a friends 30 minutes away for the entire stay. I personally went in to get my reciept on the day before sign out and it was noted I was not happy with the room..I told them I actually stayed elsewhere and they stated they would review my charges and took my cell number. At no time was I ever called about the room or the charges to my credit card. I would never stay here again. They do not care about their services to their guests...It is all about the bucks!. TERRIBLE!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank cs p
IDailey, Front Office Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
I am sorry to hear about your experience at the Grand Summit. It is unfortunate that you encountered such obstacles on what should have been a relaxing and enjoyable trip. We always do our best to accommodate all of our guest requests. Several of our rooms are smaller as they connect to parlor units to create suites and many of our guests appreciate the intimacy of a smaller room with a fireplace and a flat screen television. However, I can see that in your situation this was obviously not appropriate.
We do maintain a cancellation policy that is standard in our industry. Our units are individually owned and as we are booking reservations in these units, we must enforce a strict policy to protect our owners from losing rental opportunities. What I find most unfortunate in this case is that we were unable to meet your needs and find you an appropriate room type. January is a very busy month at our Resort but we should be able to, and typically do, meet our guest’s requests for appropriate accommodations.
Should you wish, I would happily speak with you further regarding your stay. Our mission at Canyons is to provide extraordinary experiences to all our guests and I am confident that, given the opportunity, we could provide you with the experience you expect at our property. I respectfully invite you to return to Canyons and please contact me at your convenience.

Best regards,