“Great Greek”

University Broiler & Grill
Ranked #32 of 372 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: Barbecue, Greek, Seafood
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I learned to love gyros in Sydney--problem is it's hard to find a good one in Utah. University Broiler & Grill knows how to make an authentic gyro. Cannot miss with the Gyro Plate. The kebabs are good as well. The side salad and potatoes make it a solid meal.

Reviewed 2 July 2017

Positive: The food is delicious. My husband and I ate every morsel of our dinner (a lamb kabob platter for him; an gyro with rice for me).

Less-than-perfect: Last night (Saturday), my husband and I dined in at the University Broiler & Grill. Our observation is that the restaurant could use a dedicated hostess (particularly during busy shifts). We didn't see a sign that indicated whether patrons are to seat themselves or wait to be seated. We saw one couple stand near the entrance for awhile before being asked by a server if they wanted a table.

The dining area business was steady but not overly busy. Nevertheless, our food took awhile to be served. Our server explained that they'd received a lot of To Go orders. We'd ordered an appetizer of hummus and pita bread. That's an order that a server can (I would think) prepare and serve almost instantaneously, but that took awhile. On the positive side, when it was served the pita bread was warm and fresh and the food was delicious. Our entrees took long enough that my husband asked to see the manager. The server explained the manager was "on the grill" and would come out as soon as possible. In the meantime, we ate our delicious meals. The manager came out of the kitchen. After seeing the older, seemingly authentic Greek owner, my husband felt bad about complaining. Clearly, the owner is a hard-working man who was having a busy Saturday night and was doing his best to juggle dine-in and To Go orders. We appreciated him coming out of the kitchen -- it's almost never a good thing when a customer asks to see the manager. We appreciated our server as well who must have sensed my husband's displeasure with the pace of food service but continued to come to our table to ask if we wanted more tea and if we liked our food. The owner had our server bring out a couple of complementary and DELICIOUS pieces of baklava for our bother. We were appreciative, surprised and charmed. We felt the price of our dinner for two teas, two entrees and an appetizer was very reasonable ($28 before tip).

As one can tell from this TripAdvisor page, the University Broiler & Grill is a casual dining restaurant. You don't take the boss and her/his spouse here if you aim to impress. But for good Greek food in a casual atmosphere with family and friends, I encourage readers to go here. The owner is obviously working hard to put out delicious food. With a little tweaking in organization, this restaurant could easily receive a 5th "star."

Note: One enters the restaurant from the back (the side furthest from Harrison Boulevard). Be sure to look up as you exit. Don't miss that mountain view.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

I love going to this place every time I am down in Ogden. I have taken a few people here and they all have loved it as well. I will be back again.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

Really a wonderful experience. They make their own dolmades and have a great variety of Greek dishes. The nut roll dessert is to die for. Two of us had the trout, which was beautifully prepared and seasoned. The rice has a hint of mint and is delicious. Best Greek food I have had in years!

Reviewed 11 February 2017

This place is fantastic. Family run and owners take great pride in their restaurant. They prepare the lamb for gyros on site...you can even see the rotisserie in the back. Great price for food prepared fresh in house. The falafel is great also.