“Clean, cute, cheap, dog friendly, and no frills -- perfect for what it is, between Bryce and Zion”
Review of Hatch Station

Hatch Station
Ranked #2 of 2 Hatch B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
all around
Reviewed 16 August 2011

A simple, extremely clean roadside motel within easy reach of Zion and Bryce. This place is well-located if you're in the area for the parks, and the staff is nice and laid back. The owner recently bought it and gutted it, and he's in the midst of renovating, and he has a great cleaning person -- so the rooms are all fresh. Some have mini fridges; all have little TVs and working a/c and heat. The motel offers wifi, though rooms far from the office will have trouble getting a signal (I just walked over to get closer with my laptop). The small bathroom (just a shower stall, sink, and toilet) was spotless, with good water pressure and hot water. We lucked out and got one of the rooms off the main road, set back a bit by a field, so it wasn't noisy. I'd request one of these rooms if possible. There's a laundry room on property, which was super handy for us, as we'd been traveling. Across the street is a gas station/convenience store with some candy bars, snacks, drinks. There is an attached steak house to the motel, but by this time, Utah had caused us to overdose on steak so we just ate cereal in the room for the most part (this is not an area of the world that will thrill foodies). Another major bonus: The motel was dog-friendly, with no added fee. But keep in mind: There are no frills -- no flat screen, no super soft sheets, none of that. But for $50, I don't expect any of that. This place hit the spot. If we were in the area again, we'd stay here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gijon, Spain
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Don't expect anything fancy. It's a typical road motel in a small village between Zion and Bryce Canyon parks. Rooms and bathroom were clean, comfortable beds and pretty quiet location. Not luxury at all but pretty good for a night stay. Internet worked slow but stable. Price seemed fair to me. I could only complaint about that reception is not open at night (or sunday morning) and that there is no complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
London, UK
Reviewed 16 June 2011

This review (it starts after the dashed lines below if you want to straight to it) is part of a 'set' of hotels/motels/attractions I stayed in/experienced whilst touring the region in and around southern Utah, aiming to visit the fantastic National Parks there, by hire car in May 2011.

I have created an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' which details the numerous significant attractions I visited/the places I stayed in enroute and includes a tour map and (hopefully) lots of helpful information/Internet/Trip Advisor links.

Trip Advisor haven't (yet ?) properly integrated it for direct access: to get to it you start by doing the required action to see my individual TA reviews/photos/videos (which I hope you will !) by mouse-clicking my profile 'name' located in the top-left corner of this review, below my profile picture of the Giza Pyramids, then mouse-clicking the blue 'Reviews' link from the resulting pop-up window. As well now being able to see my reviews, you can then access my Trip List by looking in the left-hand 'Contributions list (there you can also see my photos/videos direct) and select 'Trip List' - it is entitled 'Las Vegas + South Utah National Parks + Monument Valley, Arizona - May 2011'; click the title link and away you go - easy, NOT ! (TA admin please note !)

For accommodation my price range was $50-$60incl/night (occasionally up to $90incl due to local 'inflation'), for non-smoking rooms in establishments which were best located for visiting the nearby venue (sometimes for several days), that were TA reviewed as quiet/clean and should be well-equipped (eg fridge, wi-fi); I was not too bothered about what eateries etc were in the local area, nor if there were things like a swimming pool, as my days were maximised for visiting the associated National Park/hiking etc, the room being used to reflect on the day/'unwind'/sleep in !

-------------

For a 1-night stopover from Zion NP enroute to visiting Bryce Canyon I arrived at the Hatch Station mid-afternoon on a weekday, having reserved a room direct, and on arrival thought I was going to be the only person staying the night due to the relatively remote location, empty parking area and the fact that reception was locked-up ! Happily, as if by magic someone appeared quite soon and sorted me out with my room and thereafter the motel 'population' grew steadily from what I presume were opportunity arrivals. Unfortunately, fast-forwarding 12hrs, that didn't stop reception being closed/vacant once again in the morning leaving me and everyone hoping to formally check-out somewhat bemused. I assume me leaving the key in the room and locking it as I left was the right thing to do.....

That experience explains one facet of a stay at the Hatch Station ie a bit shambolic and unprofessional. Add to that continual wi-fi problems (no help from the clueless, but now present reception staff) and a decidedly weird setup for the TV/cable box which again required reception assistance (this time from a specially-drafted in TV 'expert' !) and you will see some patience may be required if you stay here.

On the positive side, I was pleasantly surprised to find the large double-bed room (Room 8) was extremely clean, comfortable and well presented/appointed; it seemed to be newly renovated. So the relatively steep nightly charge of $70incl seemed less of a rip-off once properly installed. There was a small, separate, side-area with a minute fridge/small microwave and a decent clothes hanging/luggage space; no coffee maker. The opposite-located ensuite was not a bathroom, but a smart shower room with hand basin and WC. The bedroom area had the TV stand and a small table/chair arrangement. The bed was comfy and no bed bugs (I have never had them in ANY bed in ANY hotel and am of the opinion that reviews which mention them are malicious !).

The motel setting is right next to the seemingly lightly-used US-89 highway which runs right through Hatch (or is it that Hatch sits either side of the US-89 ?), so it easy to find and access. Unfortunately, despite knowing this beforehand and with my plan of getting a room at right-angles to the road in case of road noise intrusion, I experienced what was easily my worst night's sleep here. US-89 might not be that busy, but trucks maintain their regularity of passing-through, and at night they do so at high-speed. I could hear the resulting noise well before they passed the front of the motel and for at least a minute as they drove into the distance; with hindsight my plan was wrong, get a front-facing room and it is possible the experience will be less unpleasant as the bedroom windows don't face the direction of travel and hence 'collect' the noise for so long....

Another unpleasant surprise, the fault of nobody, was that the air temperature dropped dramatically overnight making the aircon redundant and the bedroom/shower room heating welcome. I couldn't believe that I was having to scrape thick ice off the hire car windscreen the next morning, then revert back to 'heatwave' hiking in the daytime again !

Breakfast is not included (another reminder of the rather steep $70/night cost), but you are given a 20% voucher for the nearby, smartly furnished, 'Galaxy' diner - recommended for steak & eggs to start the day.

I found the Hatch Station to provide a tidy, clean and well-appointed room which was unfortunately blighted by noise intrusion from overnight trucks driving past; I can't speak for anything other than location, but the nearby Harold's Place Inn seems likely to offer a better chance of a quiet night as it is on the adjacent Highway 12, further towards Bryce, which didn't seem to get the truck traffic US-89 did. On reflection, I think the cost per night is a little steep for what you get - especially as no breakfast is included. Also, some attention needs to be given by staff to ensuring that the wi-fi and TV is easier to access by customers, without having to resort to getting assistance, and that if the reception will be closed in the morning everyone is aware beforehand and/or knows what to do for 'self check-out' !

Room Tip: Facing the highway.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Stayed here 1 night while traveling to Zion. Stayed in unit 4. Price seemed a tad high for what we got. Host was very friendly. Room was average. No complimentary breakfast. The bathroom seemed to have been redone recently and was pretty nice, although very small. Floor seemed to be sloped or warped, creaked a lot while walking around. Bed was fine. Pretty close to the highway, so don't plan on sleeping in. Once the semis start rolling through at the crack of dawn it gets pretty noisy. Unit 6 or 7 may be the best options for reducing the highway noise. Almost no traffic at night so had no problem getting to sleep and staying asleep.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tuttle_NC
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Upon booking a stay in a roadside motel in a town as small as Hatch (pop. 127), we were a little concerned at what we would find when we arrived. As it turned out, our four-night stay at Hatch Station during our visit to Bryce Canyon National Park was very pleasant. The room was spacious enough for our family of four, the beds were comfortable, the property was quiet, the rate was reasonable and the people there were pleasant. The satellite TV and wireless Internet in our room both worked fine, as did the microwave and refrigerator. There is a convenience store on-site and a few pretty decent places to eat in town (several of which share the same parent company as the motel, Hatch Hotels).

This is not to say that everything was perfect – the carpet was a little worn, the toilet ran, and they don’t change the sheets (or make the beds) until you check out. But all things considered, this property definitely exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank BruinDan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatch
0.1 km away
31.1 km away
Red Ledges Inn
Red Ledges Inn
#3 of 5 in Tropic

Been to Hatch Station? Share your experiences!