“Can't beat the price for lunch! (Closed on Monday)”
Review of Cathay House

Cathay House
Ranked #147 of 437 Restaurants in Waco
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Had another delicious lunch in Waco again this week.The lunch specials are served from 11-3 Tuesday - Saturday. Sunday is buffet style. I started my meal with the fried wontons that are served upon arrival. I ordered the egg drop soup and it was divine. For my meal, I had the Hunan beef and was pleased with the seasoning. The lunch meal includes your soup, egg roll, main dish and rice. $6.95 LOVELY

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

We ordered the Happy Family! With diverse choices from Shrimp, Pork, vegetables, chicken. Very good size portion. Enjoyed our meal.

Reviewed 21 November 2016

I have been coming here since I was a little girl....at least 25 years. Food is good, very affordable. You can get out of here for under $10.00. I didn't care for the chicken and rice soup this time and will stick to the wonton and egg drop soup. I love the little fried won tons they put on the table upon arrival. The place could use some new paint and wallpaper for sure. Check it out. Cheap eats!

Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

We arrived mid-afternoon following completion of their long-running Sunday buffet to order off the menu. The current owners of Cathay House, which I first visited in 1980 and had enjoyed ever since (with a gap of about 25 years while living elsewhere), finally made some physical improvements to the restaurant's interior with fresh paint, a bit brighter interior and much needed restroom upgrades. They also created a new photo menu.

Unfortunately, these improvements didn't make it to their usually dependable food coming from the kitchen. We started with a bowl of egg drop soup and a cup of wonton soup. These were fine.

They were followed by a Pu-Pu Platter. Again most of these appetizers were good except for the way over cooked beef-on-a-stick (served without the usual Sterno-fired cooker in the platter's middle section) and the awful BBQ pork rib. The latter was served cold with the rib lathered in too much sweet BBQ sauce.

For entrees I had a Thai Shrimp & Chicken dish with green beans while my husband had one of his Cathay House favorites: General's Chicken with snow peas (instead of broccoli). I couldn't really detect any Thai seasoning in the sweet sauce on my dish but the few shrimp were good. However, both my husband and I found the chicken to be quite tough and inedible. His especially had so much thick batter on his thinly-sliced crisply-fried chicken pieces that it was rubbery. He couldn't even cut the pieces with his fork so most of it went uneaten. Many chicken pieces in my dish were tough as well so I pushed them aside. We informed our waitress of the problem stating we didn't want the take home container after all.

So our favorite Chinese restaurant in Waco is no longer on our dining list. It'll be some time before we consider a re-visit to see if the Cathay House kitchen has gotten their act together.

Also, the hand lettered "Help Wanted" paper sign taped to their front glass entry door should have been a tipoff that there was disappointment awaiting us inside!

Reviewed 1 August 2016

I've been eating Chinese food here off-and-on since 1980. In my opinion, it's the best local Chinese restaurant in Waco. Good service and good, dependable food at very affordable prices (including their Sunday buffet). I've never been disappointed in a meal at Cathay House (even if its exterior and interior appearance have changed little over the past three plus decades). A little difficult to find but worth it. Free parking.

Been to Cathay House? Share your experiences!