“Hotel as good as it looks”

Cleopatra Palace Hotel
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Have been frequent visitor to this part of Tenerife for many years and was always impressed by the imposing frontage and position . Decided to stay on a bed and breakfast basis . Cannot find any faults . Great attention from staff from start to finish . Glass of champagne welcome when checking in . Breakfasts fantastic - extensive options and something for everybody . Great beach directly in front of the hotel and promenade . Access to hotel via security gate . Fantastic sea view room .
Did not use the pool facilities but they were very impressive . From people we spoke with on half board the dinners on an evening are very impressive . My wife and I prefer to eat out . Rooms comfortable and well maintained on daily basis by hotel staff .
In hotel bars etc ok but limited . Again prefer to drink out elsewhere .
Hotel has a great deal with La Palapa beach club only 50 yards away . Perfect setting overlooking sea - great sunsets . All cocktails half price after 4 in the afternoon - closes fairly early circa 10 each night . Surprisingly not too busy either . Cocktails discounted to 3-4 Euro each . Extensive selection . Great way to have a post dinner drink in a great setting .
Only annoyance you need to be up at 8.00 to 0815 to get loungers and parasols in front of hotel - great location so popular to all .
Will definitely return next year . Strongly recommended .
Submitting this by iPad - for some reason cannot grade service , cleanliness and location on line - if I could have would have given each one 5 stars

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great - fantastic views
Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chillmeister
Alejandro Cresp... D, General Manager at Cleopatra Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Chillmeister,

Thank you very much for your very detailed and positive review.

I am happy to know that your entire experience with us has been up to your expectations and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you agaian in future visits to the island.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any special request. We will be glad to assist you.

Warmest regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,104)

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Stayed at the Cleo for the third time in ten years in October. The general maintenance of the hotel is not good and has deteriorated at each visit. Bedroom furniture is dated and looking sad (but I didn't go on holiday to look at the furniture). The balustrade on our balcony was dirty with dried in bird excrement and the paint was flaking and turning brown. The room was cleaned very well except for the floor. It could have done with a little mop once or twice. The sun beds are in a sorry state. I could not see any that did not have that horrible worn out and dirty look to the feet area.
Stayed half board. That was a mistake. Breakfast was absolutely fine. If you want a full English you may not be pleased with bacon or sausage but there is more than enough choice of breads, cake,fresh fruit and yoghurts to keep most people happy. I never had a tea or coffee ever as they use longlife milk and I personally don't like it. So for me breakfast was very good (fresh orange juice on tap). Evening meal was totally different. On our first night we arrived at 9pm after a delayed flight with my elderly parents. We decided to have a bite to eat rather than go out as we were tired. The food was just horrible. Lots of choice but not very nice. Even the salads were sad. For the entire length of our meal the staff were clearing away the restaurant and the noise they were making banging plates etc was ridiculous. We tried the evening meal a few times and I only manage to have a decent meal once. The rest of the time I had bread (always good) and fruit followed by ice cream.
The staff in the restaurant are nothing like the staff in the rest of the hotel. The woman who appeared to be in charge spoke to me once, that was to tell me off for leaving the night before without giving my table number. She was a bit rude about it so I calmly said that we had been sitting there for long enough and had not bought any drinks so that was down to her staff. The clearing of dishes from our table in the evening was very poor. The restaurant has absolutely no character or ambiance and lets the rest of the staff down badly.
Because the food was so bad we bought some in and when I asked at reception if we could have a couple of plates I was told there would be a four euro charge. This was the final straw with regard eating here. We had paid for half board and could not eat the evening food, we had upgraded both rooms to sea view at and extra charge of over 600 euros per room having already paid a great deal for an average room and they wanted to grab another 4 euros from us.
The piano bar is a nice place to sit most evenings. But there is one female singer who has the volume button on full and produces many flat notes. I would also say the volume was very loud most evenings which meant conversation was almost inaudible.
We had a couple of maintenance problems in our room but once we reported them they were sorted very quickly.
The reception staff are brilliant, and I must commend Yolanda for her professional and friendly attention. We were given a fridge in each room as we had medication that required it, and we were given a room to move to on our last day as I was afraid my parents would not cope with the heat all day as we had an evening flight.
Sorry Cleo but I won't be back in a hurry. The hotel is being allowed to run down and the restaurant is a real let down for both service and edible food in the evening.
Your prices for drinks, upgrades and incidentals are bordering on extortionate based on the quality.
On a final note. There was a charity function one evening. So two thirds of the pool area was set up with tables all day and sun beds removed. The loud music began at 9pm and went on well into mid night. This meant that EVERY guest with a pool view was subjected to the noise unconditionally. I get that the hotel wants to support local charities but I don't get the absolute inconsideration towards the guests that pay to keep the hotel in business.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank 185alison
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

The hotel is stunning from the front entrance to the pool area! Greeted with Champange on arrival, which was a nice touch, we stayed bed and breakfast and the choice of the breakfast was fantastic, freshly made omelettes and pancakes on alternate days. The room was spotless and clean, never had a problem, had a brilliant veiw of the sea and very friendly staff! Right outside the back of the hotel is the Hard Rock Cafe and some great restaurants and bars and to the front is the beach.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mfs1991

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review here on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to know that your experience with us has been positive and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in future visits to south Tenerife.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Wonderful hotel, located very nice behind Hard Rock Cafe, staff very nice and helpful, very clean and well maintained, vip lounge and spa well worth a visit, rebooked already, recommend , located perfect for the beach and restaurants on the strip, am going for a spa treatment now ,

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TREVOR G
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

I personally dont think is even 3 star, very old and out dated surrounding which is ok but its not very clean at all. Bedding and beds need updating, replace lightbulbs its not hard. Why cant the staff at breakfast smile?!? ( thank the lord we are only doing bb). It needs a deep clean from top to bottom, it also needs more staff, the staff who are working here all seem miserable ( im sitting at breakfast now listening to a manager having a go with 1 of the waiting staff... really im trying to drink my cofffee!!)

Top and bottom of it... in my opinion it needs to be down graded to 3 star or shut it up for a month and bring it up to date and clean it!!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julia D
Alejandro Cresp... D, General Manager at Cleopatra Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear Julia D,
Thank you for sharing your disappointed. As explained by our Guest Relation we are working on the design of the hotel that we intend to refurbish soon. Although the exact dates are not still scheduled, I can confirm that changes will be made, certainly for positive.
Undoubtedly, the most important thing for me is the part your comment regarding the treatment of our staff. As hoteliers, many years since we know that one of the main assets of Expo Hotels & Resorts is the quality of our staff. Each and every one of the people working in Mare Nostrum Resort is the depositary for our greater confidence, both in terms of their professionalism and attitude. We always work on continuous improvement and professional and personal development of all our colleagues, through conducting training courses, to ensure that the service we offer is the best, not only for the quality of work done but by the unpayable animosity of the people who make up this company. We have to apologise as it seems we have caused you a bad image and due to it a bad experience. All kind of feedback is very important for us it gives us the chance to improve and continue working hard to make our guests holidays an unforgettable experience. Thank you once again very much for your time sharing your experience with us and we say goodbye hoping to have the chance to welcome you again at Mare Nostrum Resort. Best regards, Alejandro Crespo, General Manager of Mare Nostrum Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
0.1 km away
Europe Villa Cortes
#7 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
0.7 km away
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa de las Americas
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa d...
#5 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
2.5 km away
Iberostar Las Dalias
Iberostar Las Dalias
#8 of 59 in Playa de las Americas

Been to Cleopatra Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!