Okay, lets start by putting my review in context. I wanted a long weekend in the sun for me and the wife so took myself to lastminute.com and up came the Sol Tenerife with half board. Now, its clear from my fellow 'trippies' reviews that this hotel is a bit like marmite - you loved it or hated it & the ranking didn't exactly install me with confidence - so armed with low expectations and sun cream off we went.
Location wise its pretty good - right on the sea front with nice ocean views (from most room). The staff were all extremely friendly and its clear the hotel works hard in this regard as every employee wore a smile and genuinely seemed to want to help. If you check out the reception you will see pictures taken back in 1979 which just about prepares you for the rooms. I'm pretty sure the decor hasn't changed too much in that time. In truth, its grotty and really really lets the hotel down. It was clean - but that was it. If your idea of a hotel room is that its somewhere to sleep and wash - then you'll be fine - but if you want more from your room you will have to choose a different hotel.
Now for the food. I wasn't looking forward to the mass canteen approach and visions of a prison slop queue rushed through my head. Actually though, it was okay-ish. Putting aside the bird soup and the green beans, carrots and chips from breakfast - there was plenty of choice and we managed to eat reasonably well. The food wasn't particularly warm but it was edible. They wont be getting a visit from Michelin any time soon but nor will they by HM Inspectors of Prisons.
The hotel boasts three pools and its absolutely hilarious to watch the early morning mission to secure a sun lounger. Its now a military exercise involving bungy chords - strapping towels to the beds along with plastic chairs and parasols! Be warned - by 8:00 am you have slim pickings left...
Now never let it be said I ignored the other reviews and as such I purchased a nice set of earplugs for the night time and was grateful I had. There is considerable noise from the local bars and clubs which I imagine is pretty horrendous if you are in Tower A facing the strip. So ask for a room in Tower B facing out to sea.
As for the resort itself - it is what it is... beaches are clean and accessible. The night-life has a slightly seedy side with lapdancing clubs handily located next to a Spar and if you want to get a tattoo on your holiday you have a number of choices of studios - again I would struggle to know what you would do for 14 nights but for 3 it was fine.
So if you are looking for a quick and easy long weekend in the sun then its pretty good value but I would caution anyone planning their annual 2 week getaway....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This property is 3 minutes walk from the beach. Sol Tenerife is located 200 m from the beach in Tenerife's Playa de las Américas Resort. It offers 3 outdoor pools with sun loungers, a tennis court and rooms with a furnished balcony with partial or frontal sea views. The air-conditioned rooms at Hotel Sol Tenerife feature tiled floors and cheerful colours. They are equipped with satellite TV, fridge, desk and chair. The private bathrooms come with a hairdryer. There is free Wi-Fi available in the rooms. The hotel has a kids' club, hairdresser and supermarket on site. Sports facilities include a volleyball court and a small football pitch. There is also a massage service. The Tenerife Sol's restaurant serves international buffet meals. There are also 2 bars, including a poolside bar. Las Américas Golf Course is 500 m away from the hotel. Tenerife Sur Airport is 14 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Melia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sol Tenerife reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Tenerife Hotel Playa De Las Americas
- Hotel Sol Tenerife
- Sol Tenerife Playa De Las Americas