“It was perfect for what we needed! ”

Soulman's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #32 of 265 Restaurants in Mesquite
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: MESQUITE : 972-289-2300
Description: MESQUITE : 972-289-2300
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Wanted to have my family meet up with my cousins family as we both were briefly in the DFW area. We all wanted Texas BBQ and this place was recommended.

I know BBQ -- raised in Missouri learning how to make KC sauce from scratch and then went to college in Austin,Texas, which has a whole different different take on BBQ. I like both (I definitely have a preference ).

I had never been to Soulman's even though it's been around since the early 1970's. There is definitely an old school feel at this location. One stands in line with their red plastic trays and places their order. The tables are old school fast food booths and tables one can push together.

We had 10 in our crowd so we got 2 large family meals and two racks of ribs. (4 kids (albeit 2 were 12 and 14) were part of that 10)

Quick culinary breakdown:
•Ice Tea was great (I don't get sweet tea anymore, and one can tell how good or bad a restaurants tea is without all of that sugar).
• no mashed potatoes at this location (kids wanted it) so we got fried potatoes and they were delicious!
• fried okra needed salt, that's an easy fix
•spiced pinto beans -- yum!
•macaroni and cheese was loved by the kids, in other words it was plane mac-n-cheese nothing fancy
•green beans were average
•huge loaded baked potato (which came with ribs) was cut up into smaller portions and it was gone before I had a chance to get some
•Texas toast -- it was the worst part of the meal AND it was only thing remaining when we left. It wasn't bad -- it just wasn't worth the calories.

MEATS
•BBQ sauce -- it worked nicely for the Mears
•ribs -- they were gone before I had a chance. Bones licked clean too! I'm guessing they were delicious
•pulled pork -- it was perfect!!
•turkey -- I couldn't stop eating it
•sausage -- was good it wasn't a stand out to me.
•brisket -- never my favorite meat in a BBQ joint but it was tasty here

There was no meat left on the table when we finally parted ways :-)

Overall --I would say try it! Just don't buy extra Texas toast.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Meet a nice lady with my daughter the last time I came here same lady was here today but had a nasty attitude. Straight to the point I paid with a $100 bill she had an attitude when she came back with my change slammed the money on the counter, asked did I want a receipt and I said no, I assumed she gave me all my change due to her throwing on the counter so I got my food walking out she made a scene and yelled do you want your change I said I thought you did that since you threw my money at me at the counter she cut me off and said no I wasn't done and she still handed me a receipt after I clearly said I didn't want one. Don't you ever throw my hard earned damn money at me in front of anyone and don't you ever act like you have a problem taking my money because I don't have to EVER come back if I hand you something you hand it back to me you are my grandmothers age so I know she knows way better than that! My food was awesome everyone except her was very polite. I will always make reviews about customer service because I don't play about that I work to hard for my money to hand it to a sloppy employee to have it slammed and thrown back.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

This has got to be the best home-style BBQ in this area. The one in Mesquite is really great because they are not afraid to load you up on the meats on the meals you order. They also have some great fried pies, only thing is they have only apple and peach fried pies but still great. All there sides are like home made. Everyone come on out and eat here.

Reviewed 13 August 2016

My son and I were on a whirlwind two day trip and stopped here for some barbecue. Took the recommendation of the staff and ordered some pulled brisket. The meal and food was really good. Being from Virginia we don't get good brisket and I was glad to experience it. A meal here is a lot of food so come hungry!

Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

Cheap prices and good bbq. There sauce and cornbread could be better but they do have sausage, brisket, and sweet tea. Ok and cheap