“The only place I would stay if I travel back through Flores...”
Review of Chaltunha Hostel

and 1 more site!
Chaltunha Hostel
“The only place I would stay if I travel back through Flores...”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

A few buddies and me stayed here for a few days over christmas after we found that everything in flores was completely booked. The los amigos hostel website never seemed to work either and everytime we called no one picked up. As it turns out it was a blessing in disguise...

It was a little daunting at first because the hostel was actually in san miguel across the lake, but we emailed the hostel owner and he responded incredibly fast actually on how to get here. It was something like 2 quetzales (25 cents american or so) ride on these cool little ferries operated by the locals to get across the lake and the view was awesome!

The hostel itself was really cool and had a lot of space to chill and relax. It had a sweet pool and we met some cool people while we stayed here. Neil, the hostel owner also helped us out with some cool stuff to do in the area. I would definitely recommend it if you are passing through flores on your travels in central america.

p.s. Neil and his wife have some amazing coffee!

• Stayed December 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Arizona
Reviewed 17 February 2009

The view was remarkable, the land is beautiful and the rooms are spotless ! Beatriz and Neil were very excellent hosts and have a wealth of knowledge about Guatemala. We will be coming back!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 27 May 2008

I'm originally from Guatemala and wanted to show my boyfriend, his first time in Guatemala, the best that the country could offer. After seeing their website, and having stayed in the island of Flores before, I decided to try something new. I'm glad that I did. The lodge was great it has hammocks to just relax, read, or even take a nap. The pool is great but most of all the view is amazing. Beatriz and Neal the owners, made us feel at home. Beatriz's cooking was the favorite part for my boyfriend and the prices weren't bad either. I highly recommend this place. Great for adventure, romance, and relaxation. It's hard to find a place that has all of the above. Neil was great at helping us plan a trip to Tikal to see the ruins and Ixpanpajul a natural reserve park with lots of activities (horse back riding, zip line, a great hike with suspended bridges thru the Jungle) we highly recommend the activities. I would have to say that visiting Peten was the highlight of our trip and choosing Chal Tun Ha Lodge turn out to be a great decision.
Pictures coming soon.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
Reviewed 4 March 2008

This place is an undiscovered gem. The owners will pick you up in Flores for a 3 minute boat ride to their lodge which overlooks Lake Peten and the island of Flores.

The covered patio built into the side of the hill provides a lovely view and is a relaxing place to enjoy the truly delicious meals the lodge provides. Watching the birds in the flowering trees in the morning or seeing the lights of Flores coming on in the evening is memorable.

The cabins, built about 6 feet off the ground have a porch, screened in windows covering all 4 sides and an effective ceiling fan which keeps the room comfortable. The cabin is covered with a tent like fabric. Although this is a very simple structure, the wood is beautiful which gives it gives it an elegance. I paid $19.00 a night ! Check out their website and look at the pictures.I don't think you'll find a better value for your money.

• Liked — the setting and the food
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank engphile
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flores
Hotel Isla de Flores
Hotel La Casa Del Lacandon
Hostal Casa de Grethel
Hostal Casa de Grethel
#4 of 24 in Flores

Been to Chaltunha Hostel? Share your experiences!