“A Bit Disappointing”

Price range: US$4 - US$12
Description: Old fashion 50's cafe true to route 66 theme family friendly
Description: Old fashion 50's cafe true to route 66 theme family friendly
Reviewed 6 April 2018

After reading the positive Tripadvisor reviews, I was anxious to stop here and enjoy a burger and some of their homemade pie in a welcoming atmosphere. I arrived on a Thursday afternoon after the lunch rush and was the only customer. The waitress was in the back so I seated myself in a back booth and waited for the waitress to appear with a menu. I ordered a cheeseburger which came with your choice of French fries (not homemade) or tatertots. Waitress said they had no cake and had been "too busy today" to make any pies. The ice cream flavor of the week was vanilla so I ordered a shake. After taking my order, the waitress went about her work in the front of cafe-no welcoming and friendly conversation as others had mentioned in their reviews. When the cook yelled "order up" the waitress made no effort to go get my food nor did the cook bring it out. Finally I mentioned to the waitress my food was ready and she went and got it saying she had not heard the cook. When an older couple came in, they saw me sitting in the back and asked me for menus as they thought I was the waitress as I was the only person around.
On the positive side, the burger was good. The cafe is clean with seating at your choice of table, booth, or counter and the black and aqua decor with Route 66 memorabilia is pleasing. Outside is a picnic table with wagon wheels rather than a bench on one side which adds to the wagonwheel atmosphere.
I am thinking I probably came at an off time and will probably stop again to see if I can try a piece of the pie and enjoy some of the welcoming feeling others have.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Joan W
Chuck W, Owner at Chuckwagon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear Joan,

I am so sad that your experience was not as i would exspect it to be!! we want all of our customers to feel like family and to always feel welcome!! i do hope when you come threw again you give us a second chance!! and let me give you a piece of that pie you were wanting again i am so sorry

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

I was top-down cruisin the backroads of the Panhandle and decided to stop in McLean. Had a great burger and a wonderful conversation with Pam, the owner. I was there mid-afternoon, so she sat down and we visited for a while. It’s what I love about road trippin’ through small town Texas. Located on Route 66, there is plenty of history, including the story of Alfred Rowe, son of prosperous English merchants. Long story short, Alfred found his way to America, and donated land for the town of McLean. He lost his life on the Titanic. If you find your way to McLean, be sure and stop in at the Chuckwagon. Enjoy a piece of pie. The fudge pie was marvelous.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank markrw
Chuck W, Owner at Chuckwagon, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

I'm so glad you enjoyed our restaurant and our waitress Pam. Wish I would have meet you myself. My husband and I love visiting with travelers when we get the chance.and I thrilled you like my fudge pie. Hope you get to stop in again and we can meet

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Stopped in for breakfast. We like finding and supporting local business when we can. Coming Through town was sad to see so many places closed down, Really makes you want to help rebuild these towns that were so hurt on the interstate bypassing them. We found this charm of a restaurant and were treated as if we go there every day. Conversation started up with a local couple and staff very friendly. Food was great and would Highly recommend.

Date of visit: March 2018
Chuck W, Owner at Chuckwagon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

So glad you liked your visit. We thrive in making everyone feel Lol or they are Family.. Ty you for stopping in hope to have you again. Colleen and David Hutchison (Owners)

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Early supper. Had chicken fried steak. Staff very attentive. Mashed potatoes were not instant. White graveyard was not a mix. Steak was tender. Not a fan of the breaking but not bad. Some help could work on looking a little more groomed.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 30 December 2017

Almost no one in the place (one other couple) and we sat down for breakfast. After a short wait, the waitress brought us coffee. When we went to order breakfast, she told us "Sorry, we aren't serving breakfast anymore, only until 10:45". We got up to leav and when we got back in the truck we saw what time it was............10:49!!
Business must be good enough that they can be that strict with the times. We probably actually sat down before 10:45, but that didn't seem to matter.
Sorry, can't review the food, only the no breakfast after 10:45 policy.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Sergeant2057
Chuck W, Owner at Chuckwagon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

We are so sorry this happen to you! yes are policy is breakfast is served till 10:45 am but we do normally make acceptions that close to cut off time. unless we have a lunch order waiting to be cooked. we are a small restaurant and have small grills so we have to clean them after breakfast. again i am sorry for your experience!!