“OLD but with Historic Value”

McKinney Performing Arts Center
Ranked #8 of 28 things to do in McKinney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Enjoy Our Multi-Purpose Facility McKinney Performing Arts Center (MPAC) is a multi-purpose facility available for your special event or meeting. With a variety of rooms for rent at a flexible cost, it’s sure to make your next event historic. The theater in the historic Collin County Courthouse seats 427 for live entertainment including off-Broadway, comedy, theater and concerts. Tickets are available online or by phone at the Emerson Ticket Office. MPAC is in the center of the historic district with a variety of restaurants and boutique shops that make it the perfect destination that is unique by nature! Our Mission The McKinney Performing Arts Center is dedicated to providing the community with a unique and professional venue in which cultural, artistic and educational opportunities are nurtured in a supportive environment.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 6 December 2017

it's an old court house that dates way back in McKinney's local history - there is evidence of a segregated bathroom located in the basement - i'm a 70's baby so that bit of history was culturally, socially and emotionally shocking... it was evidence of a reality that was true for many Black people in America - you see it on TV and in the Movies but to physically SEE it and touch the door where it was a reality for so many people was a emotionally charged experience.

All reviews
"restaurants"
in 3 reviews
"popcorn"

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Om: We continued are yearly tradition, this time with the kids, to see, “A Christmas Carol” at the MPAC! It’s a small-ish theater that has a balcony, really not a bad seat in the house. Tickets for most plays are very reasonably priced, adult tickets for this play was around $11 a piece. Not too sure about the other shows that are put on there, but we would highly recommend the Christmas shows that are at multiple times throughout late November and December. There was a great new Ghost of Christmas Future this year, really a more imposing figure versus the bodysuit version in years past. Wish the seats were more comfortable, but a minor gripe. Great family fun with my Beautiful Nom and the kids!

Nom: This is the first year we got to take the kids to see “A Christmas Carol” with us at the MPAC. It’s really kind of cool, it is a very small theatre in a very old style, but that’s what makes it cool, well along with that organ at the back! It’s great unless you have a giant sitting in front of you then because it’s not stadium seating you can’t see. It’s such a cool and fun experience it’s something the whole family can enjoy! I can’t wait till next year with my handsome love!!!

1  Thank OmAndNom
Reviewed 7 November 2017

This review does not present a full review of the performing arts center. My goal as I traverse the state is to capture images of all the courthouses in the state of Texas. This old Collin County Courthouse happens to be one, as well as the larger new county offices north of town. As far as town squares anchored by old courthouses, this is a very good one. Not the best in the state, but nice. However, the square with all the redevelopment in the area is impressive. Parking is a huge problem in this area. So if attending an event or having dinner prior, get there early.

Jakia D, Public Relations Manager at McKinney Performing Arts Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Hello Shuttrrbug,

Thank you for your visiting McKinney Performing Arts Center (MPAC) in Historic Downtown McKinney. Here at MPAC, we also believe that our historic building is special and appreciate your review.
Formerly the Collin County Courthouse, MPAC is home to four performing arts groups, hosts a bevy of dance classes, and is the ONLY courtroom turned theater in all of the United States. Not too bad for a building that's 141 years old.
We're also working on "polishing" our gem with a newly awarded grant provided by Partners in Preservation, National Geographic, American Express and Delta Airlines. It was a month-long voting campaign against 24 historic landmarks across the county. To our surprise, McKinney was the only city representing Texas. Talk about "Texas Pride." With the support of our community, we garnered enough votes to make the cut and starting this year, our beloved building will receive some much-needed restoration. So I would encourage you to visit again in 2019! For more information about the contest visit: voteyourmainstreet.org
We hope to see you again real soon.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

This was a great venue - we saw Sgt Peppers Bluegrass Band. Former courthouse. Great seats - looks like there aren't any bad seats and it's a smaller venue, which I like. The only problem is that the seats are incredibly uncomfortable - I think I will totally embarrass my husband and bring my "donut" next time.