“Only viewed the building exterior as an old town square courthouse”

McKinney Performing Arts Center
Ranked #9 of 45 things to do in McKinney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Enjoy Our Multi-Purpose Facility McKinney Performing Arts Center (MPAC) is a multi-purpose facility available for your special event or meeting. With a variety of rooms for rent at a flexible cost, it’s sure to make your next event historic. The theater in the historic Collin County Courthouse seats 427 for live entertainment including off-Broadway, comedy, theater and concerts. Tickets are available online or by phone at the Emerson Ticket Office. MPAC is in the center of the historic district with a variety of restaurants and boutique shops that make it the perfect destination that is unique by nature! Our Mission The McKinney Performing Arts Center is dedicated to providing the community with a unique and professional venue in which cultural, artistic and educational opportunities are nurtured in a supportive environment.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 7 November 2017

This review does not present a full review of the performing arts center. My goal as I traverse the state is to capture images of all the courthouses in the state of Texas. This old Collin County Courthouse happens to be one, as well as the larger new county offices north of town. As far as town squares anchored by old courthouses, this is a very good one. Not the best in the state, but nice. However, the square with all the redevelopment in the area is impressive. Parking is a huge problem in this area. So if attending an event or having dinner prior, get there early.

Jakia D, Public Relations Manager at McKinney Performing Arts Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Hello Shuttrrbug,

Thank you for your visiting McKinney Performing Arts Center (MPAC) in Historic Downtown McKinney. Here at MPAC, we also believe that our historic building is special and appreciate your review.
Formerly the Collin County Courthouse, MPAC is home to four performing arts groups, hosts a bevy of dance classes, and is the ONLY courtroom turned theater in all of the United States. Not too bad for a building that's 141 years old.
We're also working on "polishing" our gem with a newly awarded grant provided by Partners in Preservation, National Geographic, American Express and Delta Airlines. It was a month-long voting campaign against 24 historic landmarks across the county. To our surprise, McKinney was the only city representing Texas. Talk about "Texas Pride." With the support of our community, we garnered enough votes to make the cut and starting this year, our beloved building will receive some much-needed restoration. So I would encourage you to visit again in 2019! For more information about the contest visit: voteyourmainstreet.org
We hope to see you again real soon.

All reviews
"restaurants"
in 3 reviews
"popcorn"

Reviewed 7 October 2017

This was a great venue - we saw Sgt Peppers Bluegrass Band. Former courthouse. Great seats - looks like there aren't any bad seats and it's a smaller venue, which I like. The only problem is that the seats are incredibly uncomfortable - I think I will totally embarrass my husband and bring my "donut" next time.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Young adults generally performed in the three plays I attended over the past year. I like going there for the prices are fairly reasonable. They were well practices and I liked the family atmosphere of the place. The last play I attended they gave the audience popcorn to throw at the villain. I felt sorry for the guy for the children particularly liked dowsing the poor guy with gobs of popcorn every chance they could get. However, what I noticed is he did not miss a beat in his performance. I was more distracted than he was by their shenanigans.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

This is a great venue for just about any entertainment, only problem is uncomfortable seating. Stage good.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Located in the McKinney town square, it used to be the court house. It now serves as the meeting point for plays, concerts and social events.
While the seating is limited, and is still the old chairs from days gone by, it is a great and intimate place for small musical and concert venues.
Make sure and get your tickets early as events sell out often.

Jakia D, Public Relations Manager at McKinney Performing Arts Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

We're so glad you enjoy the unique venue that is McKinney Performing Arts Center. And thank you for sharing your positive experience, Ron.

MPAC Team

Been to McKinney Performing Arts Center? Share your experiences!