“Disappointed in our meal”

Stella's Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 676 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The original Stella's was founded in Suffern, New York, in 1973 by Billy's mother, Stella Rizzo. She opened her Deli on Airmont Road and featured the finest cuts of meat, fresh breads and Italian family recipes. Over the years, she perfected the art of authentic New York Italian cuisine. In 1998, Billy brought the "family business" to Lubbock. He opened Stella's Restaurant & Deli on 14th Street across from Texas Tech. With his mother's help, he was up and running right away, and in 2001 he purchased, completely renovated and moved the restaurant to the Steak & Ale building at 50th and Utica. Today, Stella's has grown into one of Lubbock's most popular upscale Italian restaurants, including an inviting bar and lounge area, patio seating and live entertainment on weekends. Stella's offers authentic New York Italian cuisine made fresh from family recipes.
Reviewed 5 June 2017

We were promptly seated and the waitress was very attentive to our needs. Our menus choices were rib eye and blackened salmon. The salmon had a very salty sauce over it causing it to be very hard to eat. The brown rice served with had no flavor, was oriental in flavor and certainly frozen. The Rib eye was order medium but cooked to medium well. The sautéed onions were cold and the potato dish not tasty.

We would not choose to eat here again.

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

I was here for a business meeting during lunch. The service was awful. The food was bland and cold. My paste was mushy. My Alfredo sauce had separated. I asked for a manager when the check arrived. No one showed up. I will never eat at this place again.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank medsdis
Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

It was graduation weekend so the place was hopping. That said, the service was wonderful, for a packed house. We thought it would be a long wait for a table but we were given the option to try the patio. The night was beautiful. No wind.
I got the calzone with sausage and split it. Wonderful. Salad, good and the bread was some of the best I've eaten. My sister asks about the sea bass, which is a favorite of hers anywhere it's offered. But it was $49 a plate with sides. She opted for spaghetti instead. The calzone and pizza for one are very reasonable. $8 plus $1 for each additional topping. There is very upscale food and they do have all types, with Italian being the main one. I'd go again with my husband for a special occasion. Cloth napkins and an elegant atmosphere.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 14 May 2017

Stella's is our preferred restaurant in Lubbock for dinner or lunch. The food and service are, overall, very good. Our latest outing to Stella's was for a late dinner. My wife and I shared a grilled Romaine salad. Grilling added a pleasing note to the lettuce. The salad was light, fresh, and tasty. The lobster ravioli was excellent with delicious lobstery filling, rich, creamy white sauce, and the largest ravioli I ever have eaten. The kids menu offered the largest kid portions of spaghetti and of pizza that I saw. The only hitch with our food was the order of crab cakes. This was the first time that we ordered crab cakes at this restaurant. Because of the quality that we expect at Stella's, it was most disappointing to find that the crab cakes were essentially deep fried lumps of crab flavored filling. We expected lump crab meat grilled, not deep fried. We could not eat them. The attentive waiter noticed the problem and removed the crab cakes from our check. On the way out the manager took time to let me explain the problem with the crab cakes. Another note that detracted from the meal was the prices of a glass of house merlot for which we were charged $13.00! A bit steep for house wine.

We know not to order crab cakes here and we will try to remember to ask how crab cakes are prepared before we order at any restaurant. Stella's menu offers plenty of dinner options for us; we will return.

I also am able to recommend the sandwiches that also are served at Stella's.

Date of visit: May 2017
2  Thank BillM551
Reviewed 25 April 2017

The white chocolate bread pudding- so, so good! Have been there on holidays and their special menus are always good. Am never disappointed here.

Date of visit: February 2017

Been to Stella's Restaurant? Share your experiences!