“Love Mexican Cuisine - Love The Plaza”

The Plaza Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 629 Restaurants in Lubbock
Reviewed 15 January 2018

The Plaza is a popular Mexican restaurant chain in Texas, my wife and I visited this location on Milwaukee Avenue during our stay in Lubbock. We hadn’t booked a table so found it busy with a queue outside for the evening session, however, we provided our names for a table and waited, not too long, enjoying our drinks at the large impressive bar. If you love Mexican food, this is the place, there is a fantastic full menu with all the favourite Mexican dishes. Whilst busy the servers were attentive and we were very well looked after. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

We came through Lubbock after staying in Las Cruces. We ate dinner at The Plaza Restaurant. The chips and salsa were tasty. We shared a fajita dinner and it was more than enough. The food was really good, and the service was perfect. We liked it a lot, but it was more Tex than Mex after eating at some great restaurants in New Mexico. Everything seemed less spicy and more usual. This is a nice restaurant in a good location.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

As soon as you walk in the place is crowded and the smell of home cooking inviting. The chips were a bit thin but some people prefer them light, salsa was tasty with a kick to it. I had a cucumber margarita which I regret to this day not getting a second one! My colleague had a jalapeno margarita which she raved was delicious. Food was great, service could of been a bit faster but place was packed. I left my scarf there and went the next morning right before they opened and they had it!

Reviewed 2 December 2017

First time here, dinner in late November. Free parking in lot on busy commercial street. Seems like a part of town that is newer. Really good frozen margarita, beers were cold, good chips and guacamole, and good service. All food was as ordered, including fish tacos, some combo sort of platters, and more margaritas. Really nothing negative, except it was hard to talk over the high level of noise. Would try another location in another town for sure, and come for dinner again here.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

I visited The Plaza on a Wednesday evening around 6:45pm. The parking lot was full and I saw vehicles parked on grass south of the restaurant. I went in and was told there was one low-top table in the bar area if I didn’t want to sit at the bar itself (where there were a couple of empty seats). The rest of the restaurant was full and several parties were waiting, which is often a sign of a popular restaurant. I took the low-top table in the bar area, the hostess gave me food and drink menus, and it took a few minutes before a waitress showed up as the area was very busy with a combination of high-top and low-top tables, all full by the time I sat down. The waitress brought a large bowl of chips and a big mini-molcajete full of salsa (see picture). Having had plenty of time to study the menu, I ordered a draft Modelo Especial (22 oz. version, the “tall”) and Enchiladas Veracruz. It took about 10 minutes to get my beer and my waitress came by as I was waiting to explain the bar was backed up with so many patrons. The salsa has a hint of spiciness but lots of garlic tang. The chips, unfortunately, were crisp but most were broken up so the large bowl didn’t contain very many full chips. It wasn’t too long after I got my beer when the enchiladas came out. They were accompanied by a small lettuce-tomato side salad, rice (see picture), and a small bowl of charro beans. The inside of the enchiladas has spinach, squash, and zucchini and they are topped with a cream vegetable and shrimp sauce (there was a shrimp per enchilada). I found the taste to be very good. Considering how busy the bar area was, I felt the service was very good. I’d return to try other menu choices. The only thing I found disappointing was that “Camarones a la Diabla” (spicy shrimp) was not on the menu, and I like to try this dish wherever I go around the United States to see the different recipes and presentations.