See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 August 2010

The facility is new and looks wonderful, but you have to walk 100 yards minimum with your bags to the hotel. Then if your on the second floor walk around the building, through the pool area, and up treacherous stairs. The River view rooms have no view. The main issue was the owner of the property. She asked the kids if they wanted ice water and then brought bottled water at 2.50 apiece. I was not aware she asked the children and was surprised she would do that. They are very controlling and I really felt like I was being watched the whole time. At check out she had added 4 glasses of wine and 3 beers to our room. We don't drink and when I brought up the charges she got very defensive and ugly.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank atxmarks
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Let me first say that the service you will get at Walden is first rate. I booked a room for 2 nights for our anniversary, and the manager, Deborah asked if there were any special accomodations that we would need. After telling her that it was our anniversary, she asked what time we expected to be in, and I told her. Upon our arrival, there were fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate with a bottle of champagne on ice ready in our room. The service from Deborah and Terry did not stop there. Deborah is a great cook, and breakfast each day was delicious. Lunch was especially good with the Chicken Bruchetta Sandwich. At every turn, one of the staff was asking if there was anything they could do for us. Whether it was topping off orange juice in the morning, driving us to kyak in the Llano River, or getting us a new bottle of wine to share, the staff was attentive and willing to help. The Walden Plantation is in a great secluded setting right on the Llano River, and is a great spot for a romantic getaway. The room we stayed in was luxuriously appointed...the bed mattress was incredibly comfortable. I would highly recommend going here!

Reviewed 13 July 2010

My wife and I live in the Houston area and decided on a spur of the moment trip to the TX Hill Country. Booked this place after reviewing it on-line (Waldenplantation.com). Spent 3 nights at this newer (1-2 yrs old) B&B just outside of Llano, TX. Walden has river front property directly on the Llano River (a spring-fed, crystal clear river) and sits on sizeable acreage with no neighbors. Room was spacious with king bed, plush furnishings, sizeable shower/washroom, ample closet/drawer space. LCD flat panel TV with good satellite channels and HBO. Would recommend west side of building so you don't contend with too early of a morning as the sun rises. Price is awesome given everything you get or that's offered, especially comapred to big-city B&Bs.

Breakfast was hearty each morning (not just one of those yogurt & fruit dishes) and served with a smile. You can eat inside or out under a covered patio or at the pool. We chose outside even though the temps were upper 80s/low 90s (that's why we have ceiling fans). They also serve a limited lunch menu at a reasonable price as well as a good selection of beer all day until closing time (8ish). You need to drive into town for dinner (about 15 minutes each way).

At night, it was so clear as I sat under the stars, I actually saw a few satellites moving in orbit. No biting bugs (mosquitoes especially) if that's a concern to you, although beware you are in the country (ample lizzards, grasshoppers, june bugs, etc.) - but to me, that's part of the charm. They stay out of your room and you only see them on the grounds.

The owners were on-site during our stay and everyone extremely friendly. Ask a question/make a simple request and they do their best to pamper you. They arranged for an on-site masseuse for my wife and I (was a bit skeptical given our location but she was very good). Also rented tubes for a tubing trip down the river thru the B&B. They can arrange for a fly-fishing guide (one couple did just that, the guide came out the day before to scout good locations - reviews were very positive).

The pool & jacuzzi hot tub are nice (but not big enough to do laps in)...but who needs the pool when you have the river just a short walk down the grounds? If you've never been to the Llano River, then you haven't seen a true Texas Hill Country river. This river is spring-fed and flows northeast into Lake LBJ. This part of the river travels over the Llano uplift, which is a unique geological feature in this region. Basically, the rock below the topsoil is solid granite, and it was not uncommon to see pink granite in walking the grounds. This is important in the summer because the river doesn't go dry and run underground through limestone (like say the Pedernales River). In talking with locals, this part of the river has never been dry in their memory (but sometimes very low).

During our stay, river flow was good as was the fishing (Guadalupe spotted bass & perch). Many spots from which to fish...the river crossing itself in the rapids is where I caught the most but there are several spots upstream and downstream in which to fish. The river is very clear and cool. Even in spots where it gets 8-10 feet deep, you can see all the way down.

You spend most of your day down near the river or enjoying a crisp beer under the covered patio/near the pool. Take plenty of sunscreen and a hat. Fredericksburg is about a 45 min drive with great food and good, albeit overpriced antiques (if you like that type of thing). They're also known for high-end chocolates.

Highly recommend this B&B if you want rest, relaxation, and privacy. If you want a big-city, B&B, this is not for you. Be prepared to get lazy, over-indulge in world-famous BBQ in/around Llano, float/swim the Llano, and not want to leave. And I can't write enough about how friendly the staff/owners are to everyone.

Date of stay: June 2010
1  Thank Longhorn1996
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Stayed at the Walden Plantation on the 4th of July and it was fantastic. I found it on the internet and it looked perfect for what we were looking for. The internet doesn't do it justice. It is like a luxury hotel with the river running behind it. The staff was very welcoming and very accommodating. The place is about 8 miles out of Llano Texas. If you want a bunch of restuarants and shops right nearby it is not that. But, that was the beauty of it. There is so much within easy driving distance but you get the peaceful serenity of the country atmosphere with all the perks of a first class hotel. It is a very romantic place to take your spouse or someone special. Nice pool and hot tub. The facility itself is first rate and makes you feel like you are indeed on a plantation. It has a nice cozy bar and breakfast area. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. There is kayaking in the river and several umbrella tables down along the riverbank. Fredericksberg was a half hour drive and we hit Luckenbach while we were there. I love the hill country of Texas and this was a great place to headquarter out of to see this area. Lots of history and shopping nearby. The warm family atmosphere made you feel like you were very welcomed and appreciated. Real laid back and relaxing atmosphere. I highly recomment you check this little jewel out!
Mark Ellis

1  Thank duffer73069
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Walden Plantation is a truly relaxing and gratifying experience that will have you checking out on the final day of your stay with a feeling of never wanting to return back to reality.
The owners and staff members are very professional with only your happiness and comfort on their minds. I like to think of it as a small piece of paradise tucked away in the beautiful Texas hill country. It's a place that everyone should put to the top of their list!
We will see you all soon. Reid and Beth