“I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon!”

Burke Baker Planetarium
Ranked #92 of 305 things to do in Houston
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

Dark Side of the Moon is a great visual/auditory experience at the planetarium. The dome style projection is enveloping and feels like 3D.
There is a sense of motion and infinity to the fractal displays that is aptly disorienting.
This is a great show that I hope to share with my Dad as soon as I can.

There are newer reviews for Burke Baker Planetarium

Reviewed 14 June 2016

I could sit in here all day and learn so much. My grandson however, is 5 and we couldn't keep him still. I think it's for older kids and adults. We saw the Solar Superstorms. I don't think I remember learning how violent the interior of the Sun really is.

1  Thank Vicki D
Reviewed 14 May 2016

We checked out the upgraded system at Burke Baker Planetarium the month after it debuted in March 2016. The projection and sound are crystal clear and amazing. We attended the Dark Universe show narrated by Dr. Tyson. The effects are so real, if you at all prone to motion sickness, you may want to take some Dramamine prior. You literally feel as though you are floating in space. The show was fantastic and my friend's 12 year old step-daughter declared she wanted to study astrophysics when it was over.

2  Thank Tori M
Reviewed 29 March 2016 via mobile

We watched 'black holes', which was done well, but not that much for grown ups. I liked the place and the choice of shows offered, I prefer a more adult, artistic approach.

1  Thank DonBerlin
Reviewed 28 March 2016

There are a number of shows available at the Burke Baker Planetarium most of which are visual explorations of the infinite beauty of the universe, however this is about the one titled The Dark Side of The Moon. Not exactly about the earth's largest orbiting satellite but instead the classic 1973 album by Pink Floyd. What? Yeah man! To be fair, the state of the art projections shown through out this presentation does in fact include some wonderful renderings of the Earth and Moon as our free floating point of view zooms through the galaxy but the overall majority of the show is more of a psychedelic mosaic of patterns and colors pulsating and in sync with this amazing soundtrack. Recorded in Abbey Road Studios 1972-73 and engineered by Alan Parsons it became one of the most successful and influential albums ever released. It remained on Billboard's charts for 741 weeks (1973-1988), an impressive feat for any album. The wonderful sound system playing the music and the Planetarium visuals are a great tribute to Pink Floyd's ground breaking album and what better way to experience and see the music than in the domed ceiling of the Planetarium and by what is being promoted as one of the best high definition projection systems in the country! If you are looking more for Hubble telescope type visuals this is probably not the show for you. If you were too young or missed out on the epic time when rock was progressing into a fine art or just want to experience it again, don't miss this show!