“Very good, but pricey”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: San Jacinto
Transit: Located conveniently downtown at the corner of San Jacinto and Prairie Street in Houston's most happening zip code, 77002, and only steps away from the Main Street Light Rail Transit Train.
Description: *17 is dedicated to offering guests bold, unpretentious food while focusing on the freshness, seasonality and origin of the ingredients. Since opening, the restaurant has received outstanding local, regional and national recognition including: Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Gourmet, Town & Country, Travel+Leisure, USA Today and “Best New Restaurant” by Esquire. Texas Monthly rated #1 Where to eat now, “I like just being in *17, with its glittering crystal lights and sleek chocolate-and-white color scheme set off by froufrou red wallpaper on one side of the room.” Restaurant may be contacted at 832/200 8800
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I ate at *17 before going to a show at the symphony down the street.

Service was very good here. The first thing the waiter asked us was if we had plans that evening. When we said we had a show, he promptly provided the wine list as well as their traditional menu. Our reservation was at 6:00 p.m., with a show at 7:30 p.m. Although we were initially thinking we would need to hustle, the service took all the worry out of that part of the evening.

We had an apetizer "sampler" of sorts, and all of it was very good. From salmon to carpaccio to goat cheese, it was a very good start.

My wife had a filet mignon entree and I had seared scallops. It was all very tasty and portions were just about right. We both cleared the plates.

The restaurant was very sharp and music was nice. This would be a great place to have a bottle of wine with friends, or entertain a group in their banquet room we saw from the street.

The pricetag on the meals does not *quite* match the product in my very humble, non-expert, opinion. While the food was very good, you should usually leave a $100+ meal shouting about the restaurant from the rooftops. They were not quite there. Although the food and cooking was on par, there was no particular *wow factor* to the entrees. That is to say, nothing really made their steaks and scallops stand off the map.

However, a very good and tasty option as long as you are comfortable with the price tag on the items.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Beautiful, quiet and intimate restaurant with excellent food and wine selection. Small enough that there is little foot traffic and noise and you can focus on your date. Our food was very fresh and cooked perfectly.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

The food is fresh and served first class. I have eaten there for breakfast and dinner and it was perfect both times!

Reviewed 15 October 2011

We suffered through a very noisy dinner, the restaurant had a party of about 50 people, expecting fabulous food. The food was just average. I had the scallops they were fine but for the price you should expect great. My husband had the fish special which was small, bland and $33. I can recommend the octopus salad, the jalapeño dressing was excellent. Overall a disappointing evening, perhaps it would have been better if we were able to carry on a conversation over the noise of the party.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Went there recently and had a really good meal. This place used to be top notch but has been going thru a rough patch over the past 2-3 years. There was a new sous chef and he was working wonders. I did not have it but several of our party had the Steak Tartatre and pronounced the best they had every eaten. These are well travelled experienced diners. I had a de-constructed New York Strip Steak on a bed of crushed baby potatoes and shitake mushrooms-very stasted and well prepared.