“Perfect”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: San Jacinto
Transit: Located conveniently downtown at the corner of San Jacinto and Prairie Street in Houston's most happening zip code, 77002, and only steps away from the Main Street Light Rail Transit Train.
Description: *17 is dedicated to offering guests bold, unpretentious food while focusing on the freshness, seasonality and origin of the ingredients. Since opening, the restaurant has received outstanding local, regional and national recognition including: Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Gourmet, Town & Country, Travel+Leisure, USA Today and “Best New Restaurant” by Esquire. Texas Monthly rated #1 Where to eat now, “I like just being in *17, with its glittering crystal lights and sleek chocolate-and-white color scheme set off by froufrou red wallpaper on one side of the room.” Restaurant may be contacted at 832/200 8800
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The food is fresh and served first class. I have eaten there for breakfast and dinner and it was perfect both times!

Reviewed 15 October 2011

We suffered through a very noisy dinner, the restaurant had a party of about 50 people, expecting fabulous food. The food was just average. I had the scallops they were fine but for the price you should expect great. My husband had the fish special which was small, bland and $33. I can recommend the octopus salad, the jalapeño dressing was excellent. Overall a disappointing evening, perhaps it would have been better if we were able to carry on a conversation over the noise of the party.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Went there recently and had a really good meal. This place used to be top notch but has been going thru a rough patch over the past 2-3 years. There was a new sous chef and he was working wonders. I did not have it but several of our party had the Steak Tartatre and pronounced the best they had every eaten. These are well travelled experienced diners. I had a de-constructed New York Strip Steak on a bed of crushed baby potatoes and shitake mushrooms-very stasted and well prepared.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

The feast prepared by Chef David Coffman was exquisite. Scallops over black rice was a real treat. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed 1 February 2011

Ate here 3 days ago. The food was OK, although the butternut squash ravioli was over wrought. The evening started out horribly though. I walked up to the desk, stated my name and reservation time, and was told that they didn't have my reservation. After a great deal of back and forth, with me asking whether or not they could feed us, the hostess returned to tell me that she had a table for us. She just had to figure out who she was going to make wait later. Really?! There were always empty tables. Won't be back.