“Afternoon Lunch”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

I have been coming here since the 80's but today I witnessed the Manager disrespect a homeless older "white" woman. I'm a Afro American woman and your race is not a issue with me but to watch the Management team tell me that I didn't have to feed her really. First she was hungry and I asked her to come go with me to pick out her food they immediately asked her to leave. Then the manager said that I didn't have to feed her. We are so blatantly quick to make judgement. I offered the woman food and they were discouraging me to feed her. I understand that she may be irate and drunk but she's a person. We have to stop judging people. God sent me here today to see that take place. Then they put her food in a to-go container. I'm livid because I spent my money here. This is a downtown establishment and across the street from a park where the homeless live so they should expect that. The woman wasn't harassing me and I asked her was she hungry. How much food do they throw away. But you can't show a little compassion. We all are Americans and we come from a different walk of life buy come on we have to do better. I'm not here for that but this is one of my favorite places but I will never come back her or tell anyone else to come here. The food quality wasn't even good today. My food was cold and the Management team is the worse. Then the other manager came outside to try to justify her behavior I'm so done and over this place. I will not spend any more money here. Just lost a good paying customer.

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

I met a friend here yesterday for lunch. They have so many great options it was hard to choose so I went with the catfish special which comes with two sides. The catfish is breaded in cornflour my favorite way to have catfish. I chose the dirty rice and green beans. I usually skip the bread but they had wonderful bread with butter. Everything was delicious. I look forward to going back because I want to try some of the other options. We even shared the carrot cake which was amazing. You have to try this place if you are in downtown houston.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 17 December 2016

We love downtown Houston. We chose this for our wedding in March 2016 because of the atmosphere and the food. It's the next to oldest building in Houston and we just liked everything about it. The history, the exposed brick and feel of the venue. Treebeard's cakes were outstanding. We chose one of each. Such a good choice if you want an intimate venue for your wedding or party. April is a great help in arranging everything you need. Really the only thing is the ladies room is a bit small. Wish there was a "dressing" space, but space is limited so what do you do? :-) Great venue overall and excellent for lunch during the week too!

We felt like we got a great bang for our buck here for sure.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed 4 April 2016

We had a spur of the moment business luncheon and the shrimp etouffee and the red beans and the fish was great with a lot of leftover for our workshop. I will recommend them for any business events. Everyone enjoyed the lunch.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Great Gulf Coast/Louisiana food served cafeteria style. Exceptional value given both the quality and the portions. You can really trash a diet here with everything prepared fresh and killer, classic southern desserts.

Date of visit: October 2015