“Nothing spectacular here....”
Review of V Star

V Star
Ranked #2,387 of 8,628 Restaurants in Houston
Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

..... But the food was good and the place was clean. With so much variety it is likely that they would have at least a couple of items that are spectacular but everything was just average. Service was above average and price is pretty steep considering the quality. Still an ok place to please everyone's taste .

Reviewed 24 January 2016

Wide variety, clean, fresh, well kept up.

Nice, modern design but the music's a tad loud and the eye assaulted by numerous TV screens. Quite a few families with noisy young kids. Not a quiet, romantic scene.

The place has a great selection including sushi, although somewhat sticky.

Would be great if they placed a label on all the items, especially the more unfamiliar and exotic ones.

Reviewed 28 November 2015 via mobile

We had a group of 10 for dinner an we were quickly accommodated even though the place was packed. Very clean place and very well stocked Buffett selection. There were some items that I did not like but then again that is why places like this offer a huge variety. The fried shrimp and BBQ wings were my favorite . My wife had the fried crab and was constantly raving about how good it was. The service is A+ and Overall a great experience . I will come back.

Reviewed 9 November 2015 via mobile

I am typically not a fan of buffets. I visited the Gulfgate location not knowing it was a buffet, and now I'll eat here any chance I get. Everything I've eaten had been very satisfying. I love the stuffed crabs and smoked oysters mossy of all. Most people seem to enjoy the crawfish, and I'm talking year round, they go quickly. I highly recommend having a bite of you're looking for a diverse selection.

Reviewed 12 July 2015

I found myself in SE Houston for business on Friday and as the day wore on, I realized that I had not eaten. Decided to give this place a try in spite of a previous warning by a friend. I should have listened to my friend.

Lunch M - F is $9.99 per adult, plus an unknown charge for a soft drink or tea. At that price, I had water with lemon.

I was disappointed with more than one dish that I tried while eating hear. Let's start with the Won Ton soup.....it was flavorless..... I mean no flavor whatsoever. I really tried to eat it as I hate to waste food (I was taught to "take what you want but eat what you take"); well, I had to leave it as it was that bad.

Sampled the baked seafood; mistake here too. The cheese sauce mixed in with the 'baked seafood' (white fish) seemed to resemble the cheese one would find in mac & cheese.... not what I would expect for a Chinese buffet. Tried the skewered bbq chicken....seemed a bit off temp to me but it was early afternoon (~ 2.30 pm), so what do I know.

The green beans were nice, a little crisp just as I like them so I know they were fresh and not out of a can. Had a couple of pork egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce; acceptable enough to go back for seconds. Enjoyed the sautéed mushrooms over white rice too, but how can you go wrong here? Tried their mixed vegetables (zucchini, squash, onions, carrots) but they were off temp a bit too, so I left most of that serving on my plate also.

I cannot remember what other non descript dishes I sampled, but I guess it is safe to say that they did not make a big (positive) impression. There was what seemed to be a fair amount of sushi for those so inclined; but honestly I just call it bait. Not a big sushi fan here, but I have eaten it in the past.

They do include free ice-milk with your meal in a bowl or a cone. Be careful though, as the machine kinda shoots it out towards you and if my reflexes had not been so fast, I might have worn more than I ate of this cone.

Once was enough; I won't go back ever again. The meal did cause me to have a bad case of the green apple two-step the balance of the day. Why can't someone just get Chinese buffet right?? Is it really that difficult a thing to do??