“HRW menu”

Ranked #475 of 9,101 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$15 - US$32
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Quaint farm-to-table style restaurant offering multiple shared style plates and hearty entrees. A revolving menu every 5-6 weeks keeps the menu fresh and new, with nightly specials and a approachable wine and beer list to match!
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Had an early dinner at Roost during Houston Restaurant Week. The HRW menu was good and offers 4 options for first and second course. We ordered the pretzel for an appetizer. SO freaking good! It is huge, warm and salty and comes with 3 side spreads that were all delicious. Wine selection was good and reasonably priced. We had Merlot and Cab that were about $10 a glass and delicious. The cauliflower and red beet hummus were good for starters. Flat iron steak and chicken were ok; could have been a bit more flavorful. Dessert choices were donuts and ice cream or bread pudding. The donuts were good (took as leftovers and had the next day) and I thought the bread pudding did not have any flavor. Wish they offered cappuccino or espresso options. Overall a good meal and I like the laid back vibe here. Service is attentive.

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 15 July 2017

My wife and I dropped into Roost for an early dinner without reservations. We came in on a Friday evening, but at 5:30 PM and had no trouble getting seated. By the time we left, it was nearly full, however. Our server, Antara, explained that we were there during their "Happy Hour" and bottles of wine on their menu were 1/2-price! We chose a bottle of EIEIO Cuvee E Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley which was very nice. It cost us only $21! Since we had just come from a nearby wine bar, we did not finish the bottle, but Antara recorked it for us and we brought it home to enjoy. We started with two small plates which we shared; their Fried Cauliflower (actually an Asian inspired seasoned dish which was really VERY lightly breaded before frying) and Spanish Octopus. We then had their bone-in Pepper Cured Pork Chop which came with a side of broccoli. Everything was wonderful. I'd recommend arriving early if you don't have reservations as the place is somewhat small plus you get 1/2 price wine!

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

Great place for casual eating with dishes that are out of the ordinary. There were three of us and we all tried different things. All flavors were great!

Only two things that could be improved - on the goat cheese salad - there wasn't enough goat cheese for the amount of salad. One more ball of cheese would have been perfect. And on the brownie desert - it was an excellent chocolate cake, but not a brownie.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 14 April 2017

Always fresh and always great service. Food is tops. Die for: Cauliflower, freshly made bread.. everything else. BUT... They really need to overhaul the restroom. I check out every restroom of each restaurant I review. I feel that the restroom reflects the kitchen. Come on guys they look like a gas station loo on a road trip!

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 9 April 2017

One of our friends told us about some good restaurants that we must try while we are visiting Houston, Roost was one of them.

Lets start with the service, our waitress was as DRY as the get.
We decided to order 2 of the most popular dishes on the menu according to her.
My choice was was the Lamb Shank & my wife's was The Mouskka....Well both were equally disappointing. My Lamb Shank was super tough & extremely gamey.
The portion was NOT proportionate with the price at all.

Of course we did not order any dessert & we left most of our unappetizing food behind!!!

Date of visit: March 2017
Stay544975, Owner at Roost, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

So sorry for the poor experience you received, definitely not our normal response we receive and we strive make sure you leave happy. With a change of marketing company we have regained access to our reviews and we understand that this is a little late, but please reach back directly and I, as the owner himself, would love to have you back with a gift card on us to change your mind on our small neighborhood gem. Thanks again and feel free to contact at kevin2n1@yahoo.com!