“Great Place for kids”

Ranked #6 of 304 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hands-on interactive exhibits in the areas of science and technology, history and culture, health and human development, and the arts.
Houston, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Place for kids”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

It has been awhile since going here, however, it was fun for my son. It has lots of interactive displays and I think most kids would enjoy the experience.

• Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
USA
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Fun spot with kids”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We visited the museum on a Thursday afternoon, which filled three hours for two elementary school age boys and a toddler. There are a lot of hands-on activities and kid-sized, grown-up activities (miniature grocery store, restaurant and kitchen, etc) so they can replicate the daily activities of adults, but at their own level. There are many craft-type activities from building cars for a race track to rockets for launching. There are quite a few energy-expenders, such as a multi-story climbing gym, rock wall, virtual snowboarding and so much more. Upstairs they have the "Tot Spot" which is for kids under 39 months.

If you, like me, are worried about germs when large groups of kids congregate for shared hands-on (germs-on!) activities, they do a good job of keeping things clean here. Up in the Tot Spot, they very friendly workers come around and swap toys every so often with clean toys.

They also have a fun water activity center outside. This isn't for swimming, but for building boats, assembling pipes with flowing water and many other educational ways to get soaked, if you wish.

If possible, park in the parking lot beside the entrance which was $5 for all day parking, rather than the museum parking deck, which costs a few dollars more.

Admission is $8 per person over 1 year of age, even for adults, which is the only thing I can really gripe about here. The 5 adults in our group cost $40, even though we could only watch the kids play. But still, it is a good experience for the kids and we enjoyed ourselves.

Visited February 2012
West Columbia, Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great experience for older kids”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

In our party there were 8 of us, 4 adults and 4 children. The oldest one was 5 years old, next was 3 and the youngest were 2. The kids enjoyed themselves, but I think this place is mainly geared for school aged children. The adults enjoyed themselves, but I think we will come back when the kids are older.

Visited February 2012
houston
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“I Guess I should Expect the Frenzy”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a great museum if you are a kid. But as an adult, I will only take one of my grandchildren at a time to it because they can get away from me too easily. Keeping up with one is hard enough: two impossible.

Visited January 2012
Beaumont, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“Great for Kids of all ages”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The museum is done very well, and a great trip for the entire family.