“Landed here by accident, but the stay was all I expect from Hampton”

Hampton Inn Houston-Brookhollow
Ranked #152 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 26 November 2017

I found myself in this property's driveway having no plans to be here at all. Houston's traffic had been moving at snail speeds for a period of hours such that I was willing to take a no-show charge for a room reserved down the road. I was looking for any place that gets me off this road, and much to my surprise a property appears where I normally gather points. So, when I walked in the door and rack rate was a very reasonable amount I was delighted to check in and stay for a while.

This place is aged, but it's all Hampton, and it met all Hilton standards I could tell. The condition of the room and furnishings could only be described as good. When you're not looking for problems it's very easy to never notice them if they are present. I'm an early bird and of course I was down in the lobby long before breakfast starts looking for something to drink. They had their coffee ready with all the expected flavoring things. And, their breakfast person was still getting ready but very kindly poured me an orange juice which I greatly appreciated.

Their breakfast was decidedly Hampton and on this day they had sausage, eggs, and home fries. They had all the carbohydrates anyone would want to kill themselves and the standard help yourself waffle iron. For what they intend to serve it was as good as it ever is and I was happy with it. The desk staff was kind, courteous, and efficient, and I had nothing at all to be concerned with.

I would come back to this place if there ever were a need, but that's unlikely. I would recommend it to another for what the brand intends to do. The only thing I saw that really needed improvement was either power wash the building or paint it as it's age is showing on the outside. Nothing about it was in badly eroded condition, but I know that all Hilton brands are expected to maintain an appearance of brand new and this one isn't quite doing that.

Room Tip: Not much to look at outdoors all rooms about alike
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Have stayed here in the past and this hotel is starting to feel well worn. I know this is a very busy area and it doesn't seem that the hotel is keeping pace with its surroundings. The bathroom fixtures and furniture in the room shows its age and its not aging gracefully. The staff seemed very un-personable. The breakfast was as to be expected but nothing more.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
John B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Houston-Brookhollow, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. I am happy to announce that we are going to be starting our full renovation of the interior and exterior of the property beginning next month. I apologize that this was the impression that you did receive and hope you will come see us again to see our fully renovated property.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

I've stayed in hundreds of Hampton Inns, and they're always my choice when I'm on the road. This was a really bad experience, though. The biggest issue was that the deadbolt on my room didn't work correctly. Instead of being easy to throw the latch, I had to use all of my strength to get the lock completely engaged. When I complained the next morning, the staff at the front desk acted like it wasn't a big deal, but promised to fix it. However that night, I couldn't get the lock more than halfway engaged, which means that the door wasn't completely locked. When I complained at checkout, again nobody seemed to think that guest safety was important.

Also, I was bitten by an insect while I was asleep, which is worrisome. And a minor thing-- there were not pads or pens in the room. In a business hotel, pads and pens area must.

This was a seriously disappointing stay. I'll be looking at other Hampton Inns the next time I have to go to Houston.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 332 unless you can verify they've fixed the deadbolt.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
John B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Houston-Brookhollow, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. I apologize that the lock was not taken care of for you right away and want to let you know that I can certainly understand how that would be frustrating. I have looked into this matter and assure you that it has been fixed.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Our stay here was very pleasant. The staff was great and the breakfast was delicious (as always). My only complaint was that there was some sort of construction going on near the hotel and it woke me up early, however, that is no fault of the hotel. Houston seems to have a lot of construction going on right now, so I expect this could/would have happened anywhere.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed 8 November 2017

I stay at several Hampton Inns in different places every year, and this one is probably more in need of an update than any I've been in lately. Room carpet is stained, furnishings are dated and cheap looking, walls look dingy, and the TV is small and initially put up a fight before eventually working correctly. Offsetting that is that the bathroom was very clean and in good condition, the bed was comfortable, and additional electrical and USB power outlets had been installed at the desk and one side table for all your plug-in stuff. The hotel is located in an industrial area next to a freeway and roads with heavy traffic and construction. Despite that it was reasonably quiet. You will need a car as there is one restaurant next door and that's about it for anything in walking distance. The customer service was very good. One night cost $182 with tax (base rate of $155) which seems a bit much.