“a dump, I left half my food”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Great Mexican food and top notch service
Description: Great Mexican food and top notch service
Reviewed 14 October 2014

the place was not clean and the food and servive awful. the waiter looked like a bum . so many good places on the island, no reason to eat herr.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

So glad to find El Jardin just one block from the Tremont Hotel where we were staying. $3.50 buys you a "Surprise #1" breakfast burrito. Served on a homemade tortilla, it was so loaded with goodness that it split, and I had to eat it with a fork. Locals were having breakfast there (including the police, which is always a good sign!). My favorite part was the line drawn around the room where the water rose during Hurricane Ike in 2008. It was over my head! This plain little Mexican cafe won my heart for overcoming such odds and still keeping prices so low.

2  Thank Cindy W
Reviewed 24 October 2013

One word...flavorless. Our chips were cold/old & very greasy. All the food received at our table (7 of us) was greasy & the flavor was either not there at all, or tasted like leftovers. Our service was not great as our orders were not correct. Our office has voted, we will never go back there! With all the other choices for mex-food in Galveston, your best bet is to go somewhere else.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Thought we would try this for lunch due to the good reviews on this site. Was a mistake. Perhaps breakfast would have been better. The very minimalist surroundings with zero ambience should have been a tip-off. The waiter although nice, had a startling appearance with his facial tattoos that was off-putting. Salsa was mediocre with greasy cold chips. The dishes were bland and not well prepared or presented. I had fajitas which were more like carnitas than the actual skirt steak they are supposed to be. They were overcooked, tasteless and tough. The tortillas are strange; overly thick and also tasteless. My partner had a combination plate that was also not to his liking. There are so many excellent Mexican restaurants it is hard to see how this place survives or gets these good reviews. I will not return.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I am not a huge breakfast person, but this place is GREAT! My personal favorite is the Migas a la Mexicana (I get them to hold the jalapeños) extra crispy with pan sausage and cheese taco. Make sure you ask for the ranchero sauce. They really do an excellent job on the way they do all of the tacos/burritos. Very reasonable prices for what you get. I am not a big fan of the lunch items, but they serve breakfast all day (they close at 2pm)

1  Thank Rita H H