“Best location for Galveston Pleasure Pier”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Dallas, Texas
“Best location for Galveston Pleasure Pier”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Just returned from weekend in Galveston and stay at Country Inn. This property exceeded my expectations. We had a room facing the Pleasure Pier. Awesome view of the beach and pier. Great location for walking to restaurants, etc...on Seawall Blvd. The bed was fabulous! Most comfortable hotel bed I have experienced in a long time! The room and entire property were very clean during our stay. Would definately stay at this property on return visit to Galveston. Had originally booked another property down the street for 1 night, but got a much better rate at Country Inn when we decided to stay for 2nts. So glad we changed reservations to Country Inn!

Room Tip: Room 414 faces Pleasure Pier and is one of the front-most rooms. Assume 514 would have even better...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
San Angelo
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife & I spent one night at Country Inn Galveston Beach in late March prior to taking a cruise. We found the hotel to be very clean and Dee & her staff to be very efficient, professional & friendly. Wewere given very specific instructions on finding a restaurant that we asked about & they inquired about how we liked it when we returned. Our room was very clean and afforded us a great view of the boardwalk and seawall. Breakfast was much better than at most hotels who offer free breakfast. We left our car at the hotel while we were on the cruise and rode their shuttle to & from the pier. Our driver was very personable and gave us a delightful commentary on Galveston during the ride. When we returned, we called and the shuttle was there to pick us up very shortly. If we go to Galveston for any reason in the future, we will definitely stay at Country Inn again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TexasHawkeye
dallas
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Free hot breakfast, right next to beach, indoor pool, free parking for people going on cruise. These were main reasons to choose this hotel. We did not feel for once that it was overpriced at all. service was good and employees were very polite and helpful. We'll definitely stay here next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My family of 5 stayed at the Country Inn & Suites on the Seawall in Galveston, and although we only were there for one night, we all left very pleased with our visit. Our room was on the 3rd Floor lobby side (west facing) with a nice view of the beach. The hotel room had all the essentials (full breakfast included, free wireless internet, on-site parking, flatscreens mounted on the walls in both the living area and bedroom, walk-out balcony, refrigerator, and microwave. The room was clean for the most part; there was a dead bug in the corner of the bedroom, and there was a fairly large stain on the couch (just flipped the cushion over), but no other problems. The beds were very comfortable.

The location was wonderful being right by the seawall and very close proximity to restaurants, bike rentals, and gift shops. Once Pleasure Pier is opened, this hotel will be ideal for a visit. We will definitely stay here again when we drop in for a visit to Galveston!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I made reservations for this hotel in Sept. 2011 for March 2012, for one night before we left on a spring break cruise. I reserved a one bedroom suite through the Country Inn & Suites website. When we checked in we were given a standard room and when I went back to the front desk, they were less than enthusiastic to help me. They said I must've booked my room through Hotels.com because they only had a reservation for a standard room. Luckily I had the print out from the Country Inn & Suites website showing what I actually reserved and the manager, quite begrudgingly, gave us the correct room. Another issue with this hotel is the lack of parking, I seriously doubt there is enough space in the lot to accomodate the guests actually staying in the hotel, much less anyone not staying in the hotel that is utilizing the "free" cruise parking. So when we tried to find a spot in the lot there were none and there were vehicles in made up spots all over the lot, but there was no place for us, so my husband when to the front desk again and asked about parking. He was told we needed to find a spot on the street. All the nearby street spaces were taken, probably by other guests that couldn't find spaces in the actual parking lot. We ended up having to park about a block and a half away from the hotel, in a not so great area, and it made us both really nervous. The next item is more minor and just shows general lack of concern for customer service. The hotel has a small laundry room, it is $1.75 to wash and $2 to dry and $2 for any type of detergent or softener. The hotel laundry only takes quarters and there is no change machine so again we went to the front desk to ask for change. They told us we need to provide our own change that they aren't responsible for that and that if we didn't want to leave the hotel we could buy $1.50 sodas from the pop machine and get the change! The next morning we went down to get the complimentary breakfast, the kids stayed in the room and my husband and I went down to get some food, The breakfast area is extremely small and there was no space for us to sit so we were going to take our food back upstairs and we were told no food outside the breakfast room, by a not so nice lady working in there, when we pointed out that there was no place to sit she said we could wait someone would leave soon enough. Then finally at checkout, which is supposed to be at noon, they deactivated our room cards at 11am so getting the luggage down to the car a block and a half away was another hassle as someone had to stay in the room at all times so we could get back in. When I informed the front desk, the girl said "Oh OK" and didn't offer an apology or anything. I really thought this was the end of my dealings with this hotel, unfortunately no. When we returned from our cruise, I came home to another set of messes. Between the time I made the reservation and the time we stayed, we switched banks, I had one small outstanding check at the old bank so the account was still open. When I checked into the hotel I gave them the card from the new bank and told them it was a different card than I reserved with. On my checkout papers it shows the last four digits of my new card, yet they somehow managed to charge the card I reserved with, which resulted in an overdraft on the old account. As if that weren't a enough, there was also a random $25 charge that was not reflected on my final bill causing not one but two overdraft charges. At that point I called the customer service line, they contacted the hotel and the hotel told them that we took a pillow so they charged us $25, we didn't take anything from the hotel, we were leaving on a cruise. The customer service line said the hotel would have to settle the dispute, and given the level of customer service I have experienced there, I am sure there is no hope. The customer service line said the hotel had two days to get back to them and then they would get back with me, that was a week and half ago and I haven't seen a refund to my account or heard from them at all. I personally will never stay in this hotel again and I would not recommend it to anyone. The level of incompetence that I have experienced with this situation borders on negligence and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family