See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 October 2016

We stayed the the "French Cottage" 10/21/16 for the weekend at Fred Wine & Food Fest. I was really excited when I saw the photos. Hmmm. Don't believe it.

When you find the unmarked property, and you look at the reservation note they sent you, there are no instructions on what to do when you arrive. So, I called. I asked if we should come to the big house. "NO! Don't do that. Just park and go to your cabin." Hmmmm. Ok. "Where do I park and none of the cottages are marked. How do I know which one is mine?" I was told to park by the cedar fence and walk back across the road to the last bldg to my right. Friendly is not to be expected here.

The ranch is close to town and tucked out of the way, making it a cozy atmosphere. The amenities listed are non-existent other than the pool. The sticker burrs are everywhere on the property. If you like bleeding on your feet and legs, you are in luck. You do not even have to step outside to have them stuck into you everywhere. They are in all of the rugs, by the dozens (each rug) and even embedded in the bath towels.

Be extremely careful when stepping out on the back deck. The wood is rotten and gives way with any weight at all. The supports are on about 5' centers and with rotten wood, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Between dodging the red wasps and the breaking wood, I retreated. I hauled one of the chairs to the front porch, sat in it and the arm broke right off. It is extremely dark at night on the property. The buildings do not have porch lights. They do offer LED rope lights on the porch and about 30% of the rope light works. You will need a flashlight.

Breakfast is a joke. Their advertisement says "Continental Plus". Nope. The $1 loaf of bread, shriveled up apples and coffee cake purchased at probably the dollar store was really sad. The coffee maker did work and I was scared of all of the little reused jars with white granular contents, so I went and bought coffee, cream and sugar. The little 3"x3" sponge was ridiculous to clean with.

The "King" bed is 2 twin beds pushed together. We sleep cuddled up, so one of us was on the hard seam of the two beds both nights. The bed(s) is on rollers with no headboard. Any "bouncy" activity causes the bed to roll all over the room and bang into the walls. Not good.

The bath. There is zero water pressure in the shower. The mixer is broken, so you have 2 choices, hot or cold. Nothing in between. When you flush the toilet, the flapper is worn out, so you will have to lift the lid and stick your hand in the tank to get it to stop running. When you turn on the sink faucet, the faucet literally comes off in your hands. You have to tuck it back in its hole to use the water, but it does have pressure! And ladies, if you do not want to smell like Irish Spring, bring your own bath soap. Very poor choice of toiletries offered for guests.

All in all, I was with my hubby and we have fun no matter where we are. I would not go back. This property is seriously overpriced, under maintained and misrepresented start to finish. Any joy you receive from the ambience is quickly diminished by having to dig more stickers out of your feet and body, inside and outside of the cottage.

Lots of awesome and well run B&B's in Fredericksburg. Sadly, this is not one.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank intriguingtxlady
Reviewed 2 October 2016

Charming little B&B. Booked it just for the room and breakfast. Massages were a nice add-on. Owner cooked a great,fresh breakfast. Owner was also very nice and gave us some options for eating dinner in town. It was great waking up to see deer outside our window and fun watching the horses run around. Spent two mornings watching the sun rise and listening to the birds.

Room tip: Good Views. Not far from Main Street.
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

My wife and I are VERY disappointed with how the B&B was/is run. When we arrived there was no one on the premises to greet us or explain where our cabin was and how the amenities work. Had I not called we would have not known when the massages were even to take place. When we walked into our cottage we found it very dusty with wasp flying around, a very small tv, two twin beds pushed together to make the bed a "King", a loaf of bread with peach jam for our "full breakfast". We waited till after 8:50am and no one showed for our massages that were scheduled for 8:30 am. Upon looking online we now see why there are majority of of the ratings,15, as a 1 star. They took the whole $449 out of our account more than a month before we were to arrive, they avoided our phone calls and if "Maria" was there to give massages, like the owner claims, then why did she not call us and let us know she was there??? We are the customers we should not have to wait on something we have already paid for. Due to their poor organization of our visit we had to stay at another location. To this day we have never met anyone from the, so called B&B, face to face. This place is a SCAM!!!!!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
trish4494, Owner at Back Forty of Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2016

These lovely people did not stay after making their arrival. When a reservation is made, at the very top of the confirmation it says 'be sure to print out these directions as there may not be someone there at the time you arrive'. With hospital and doctors appointments happening more frequently these days, we do not always manage to stay home. The package they purchased came with full breakfasts (delivered to their door in both mornings) and free massages, all of which they declined to enjoy. They left immediately after arriving and informed me that they wanted to come the next morning for their free massages. They did come back, and unfortunately the therapist was a few minutes late, so they just left. I paid the therapist for the time she had booked, and that was the end of it. So sorry they missed all of that. Bless their hearts.

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We stayed at the Sunday Haus for two nights during spring break. The location was nice and the cabin was quaint but the attention to details is a zero. The bed mattress was old and lop-sided. We had a horrible night's sleep if any at all. The owner tried to compensate for this by using a memory foam pad which just made it worst. The light fixture over the bed was broken and hanging on by the wires. The coffee pot took 45 minutes to brew which had been previously reported back in 2010 and never fixed or replaced. The tv was very old and did not work. The water pressure in the shower was just slightly over a trickle. The cupboard of goodies was an open box of generic cereal, a pint of expired milk and a $5.00 pastry that looked quite old. There are no curtains in the bathroom, the front door or the rear patio doors, thus no privacy. The owner was notified and tried to make up for it by bringing a new coffee pot, some baked bread, four kid size boxes of cereal and some store bought mexican tacos the morning we checked out. We couldn't wait to leave and felt ripped-off. Will definitely not recommend this so-called B&B to anyone.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Mario S

Am so sorry the guests had so many issues. Somehow that light fixture was broken by a previous guest, and it was not brought to my attention. The water here is very hard, so coffee pots get changed out every couple of months, and the shower head has to be cleaned as many times.....As for the milk date, it states sell by, and that is what we go by.I am so sorry they felt they needed privacy with curtains, but out here it is only the animals wandering about. So much for excuses, we are trying harder to keep up! So thank you for letting us know!

Reviewed 20 March 2016

If you want an escape where you are waited on hand and foot, this is not for you. I read the reviews after I booked the French Cottage and was a bit worried.
There were no cobwebs, spiders, or other creatures in the cottage. It was very clean and comfortable.
The bed is actually two twins pushed together. However, it also was comfortable.
Our water pressure was fine, took several showers and no problems.
The breakfast was not much. However, we didn't book this retreat around eating. Found a great coffee house in town where they roast their own beans. Excellent breakfast tacos. Hated being around all the tourists and able to escape back to the Back Forty.
Bottom line, if First world problems really get you down. Redbox doesn't have your movie, BMW doesn't have your car in the right color etc. Skip this B&B. However, if you enjoy solitude, wildlife, wine on the deck, good cigar and a few minor foibles with the cabin, then come enjoy.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you, great guests. You have the idea! That is why it is named The Back Forty! Hope to see you again! This winter the sauna is fired up every Saturday night!