See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 December 2014

Although I felt like I was stepping into the 1970s with the decor, the room was clean and spacious. The bed was large. The owner quickly checked us in and out, no hassle at all. Right off I-10. We stayed here when we ran our Shiner Half marathon, only 20 mins or so from Shiner. Easy to get to from Houston or San Antonio.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Was traveling during Sping-break and thus San Antonio was way over priced for a mere layover, so went here for the night instead. Place was clean, bed okay, staff friendly. Would recommend it for a one nighter.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My husband decided that he was too exhausted to drive so we stopped at this place. The rate was 69.99 plus 10 each both of our dogs. When we drove up to our room, a sheriff's car was circling the hotel. It made me feel really not safe. Who knows what could be going on here? There were tons of bugs outside the room. When i came in the room it had a very musty smell. I found one tiny white bug in my room. I soon stains are on the carpet. I brought in a blanket from my car to use instead of the comforter. The bed was nice and firm and I slept well on it. The ac took a bit to get really cold. Again I think the room is really mediocre, but in another had to stop cannot keep driving moment I would rather sleep in the room here than ant the picnic area with the truckers 4 miles from here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The Carefree Inn Motel, aka Antlers Inn Motel, is the 2nd filthiest place I’ve stayed with Howard Johnson’s in Manhattan, N.Y. taking 1st place.

I had issue with everything. A sampling of problems is hard surfaces harboring water and mold in the cracks. I saw a multitude of bugs. The shower leaked and spewed water from somewhere all over the floor. The bathroom door was warped with wood falling off of it, really. Carpeting was filthy and stained. The aged bedding on both beds had holes and stains. It smelled like B.O. Complex has thin walls and plenty of rowdy activity happening outside all night. There was a shot fired close by as we were walking to the unit for the first time. Being married to a retired policeman I can tell you it was a gun. Shortly after, sirens wailed. We should have left but were too tired from driving all day.

Management surcharged my cat which I told them about upfront. I asked for a cat refund but was denied. My cat is much cleaner than the Patels caring for this establishment. The price was no great deal either and no reward points are offered.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2010

A friend and I had to go to a meeting in Flatonia, and decided to stay for a day to sight-see, eat some great food, go letterboxing, and learn our way around the countryside. We spent one night in Flatonia at the Carefree Inn. It was very reasonably priced (the owner/manager gave us a deal of $45!). The rooms are very basic, but clean and comfortable. There does not seem to be room service or breakfast served, but there are places within walking distance. I would recommend bringing your own toiletries and towels, since the ones they provide are soap and the towel are very thin. It would be a good location to stay if you plan on heading to and of the area festivals, particularly Flatonia's Czhilispiel festival since it is just down the street. Prices are listed online, but try calling to see if they are accurate or offering any specials. They have free WIFI that works very well, but you'll have to ask for the code for access.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business