“Best stop on Highway 59”

Prasek's Hillje Smokehouse
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in El Campo
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Description: We are famous for our jerky and sausage and smokehouse products, but we are so much more. We are a bakery, specialty meat market, restaurant, convenience store, gift shop, ice cream parlor, and Prasek's gear. We also offer a huge line of wines, specialty food products, outdoor fire pits, grills, hunting gear, deer stands, fishing gear, Yeti coolers, and Costa sunglasses and gear. We are your One Stop Shop!
Reviewed 18 November 2017

For over 30 years I have regularly driven Highway 59 between Houston and South Texas and patronized Prasek’s Hillje Smokehouse. In my earlier stops, it was just a tiny stop in the middle of nowhere, selling smoked meats, tasty jars of relishes, pickled vegetables, and sauces, and the most incredible cream-cheese iced apricot strudels. They have expanded over the years to a major stop with a western town facade, and so many employees that half of the local towns’ populations must work there.
There are so many products now that you should plan on extra space in your vehicle for the most savory-sounding goodies. Prasek’s has a full selection of smoked meats, both domesticated and wild game,and a huge selection of jerky. Canned goods and sauces are all tempting—the jalapeño pickled green beans are a personal favorite—and I haven’t bought a barbecue sauce, rub, or marinade I didn’t like. Prices are about what you would expect from artisan-level goods—between $6 to 14 during our last stop.
The bakery also produces an incredible array of goods, the marbled pumpernickel being a favorite. And my father always asks for a couple of mini lemon bread loaves, which he freezes and eats a little at a time over several months.
Finally, if you’re hungry, the diner counter offers fresh sandwiches, barbecue plates,and burgers. Favorite here is the patty melt, or any of the all-beef burgers, which are made of beef so fresh, the taste is so rich it’s not like any beef I’ve ever had. I’ve eaten beef at some top-rated restaurants, but the ground beef Prasek’s uses in their burgers tops any others in my experience. And for around $10, give or take a few bucks.
I could continue, but I’ll conclude by saying that if you’re traveling down 59, pass up the big chain stops found a few miles in each direction and make Prasek’s your destination.
Final note: the restrooms are large enough to handle a bus load, and always immaculately clean.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

BBQ is good, sweet tea is just ok, but the sweets there and the jerky are really good. Plenty of parking and they have meats that you can cook at home that look really good. Lots of variety

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

We had a group of a dozen. Service was excellent, and everything was clean. Food was very good according to everyone in our party. I had brisket sandwich and mine was delicious. Worth a stop!

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

There are so many things to choose from, but the cinnamon rolls are Devine. Take home a dozen and your family will love you.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Perhaps because we come from the UK, but not what we expected. A fairly long wait for our food, although we asked a few times where it was, having to get to Houston airport. Expensive for basically a burger and a sandwich, with a side of fries for each of us. Thought when I ordered I would be getting a chicken SALAD not a chicken salad sandwich. Also thought the meats, cheeses etc on display for sale were expensive . Disappointing.