“Inexpensive, Yummy and Healthy Thai Food”

Chan Thai Restaurant
Ranked #1,311 of 3,934 Restaurants in Dallas
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: Wynnewood North
Neighbourhood: Wynnewood North
Reviewed 19 May 2015

Chan Thai was recommended by a friend, so we gave it a try. It's pretty small and a little hard to find, but well worth the effort. We went for lunch and there was a decent crowd that day. The restaurant was clean and the server was friendly and attentive. I had the Pad Karna - Sauteed broccoli with mushrooms, carrots and oyster sauce. You get your choice of beef, chicken, pork or tofu and they make it as spicy as you like. I chose the chicken. It comes with steamed rice, crispy spring roll and soup of the day, which was very good. The portion was large, fresh and tasty and it only cost $8.50 (M-F 11:00-2:30). I could barely finish half of mine, so I took the rest home and enjoyed it for lunch the following day. My companion had the Sesame Chicken, which she really enjoyed as well.

1  Thank Lori C

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We've lived in the area for about 8 years, long before it became such a hot ticket. This restaurant is tucked away behind Oddfellows and we don't think anyone knows it's there. Great food, reasonable prices, and we have always been able to get a table even on a Saturday night.

Bishop Arts parking is a horror show but there are now valet stands all over the area, not just at Hattie's, so you can pay $5 and not have to worry about it.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I live in Fort Worth, but work in Dallas - a 45 mile drive each way each day. So, lunch breaks are always exploratory, since I'm still not very familiar with the area. I am also a bit sensitive to Asian restaurants with many "run of the mill" pretending to be Chinese, Japanese or Thai buffets leaving me with an upset tummy after. So I always am careful with Asian food establishments and do remember the good ones. This is one case. Firstly it is alacarte , with choices of set meals for lunch or an entree and side list. Good specially if you are not too familiar with Thai cuisine. I'm normally partial to curry so that's what I jumped at. A nice yellow curry as against the stronger red Indian curries. What struck me where the flavors and ingredients. They were all distinctive and did not just blend in your mouth as one sweet and spicy concoction as many wanna-be Asian food establishments produce. I say this because in the US many Chinese restaurants are run by Taiwanese, Japanese restaurants run by Thais and Italian Restaurants run by Albanians. You can't help the added influences changing the flavors a bit. I'm no expert but the food at Chan Thai left a very pleasant after taste. I was not feeling bloated so it didn't have any of the "bad" stuff in it like MSG, sugar or recycled cooking oil. That to me as worth remembering, plus you could request for more spice if you wanted your ears cleaned out or just mild spicy. All in all, the experience was good, price was reasonable and atmosphere was better than good.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Food are rather hit or miss and I'd like to recommend to stick to simple, can't go wrong food like chicken satay, fried rice. I tried an unusual item in Thai place, corn patties and it is quite bland. But pad thai is the worst and I don't like the color as well as taste. Any average Asian girlfriend could make a better a better pad thai.
Only real positive is okay service and some free soup for lunch.
I would recommend this place only if you live around that part of the town, does not cook and you are either tired of other Regional, American food or can not get into first tier places in Bishop district like Hattie, Lucia.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

The Pad Thai was my favorite choice, it wasn' as greasy as other hai places. The staff was helpful and attentive to our needs and quesions of the different type of dishes.