“Amazing restaurant...exceeded expectations”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 February 2017

The atmosphere was wonderful....the service was classy and elegant, and the food was off the chart....and reasonably priced. Definitely a place for a redo.

1  Thank stevewood64

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

The food exceeded our expectations. We enjoyed everything from the fried Green Tomato sandwich to the special Sunday Biggie dish. Hattie's prepares the perfect combination of gourmet food and home cooking. Anything you order will be a party for your tastebuds. And the service...perfect...simply perfect!

1  Thank Rhonda D
Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

The shrimp and grits was sad. The shrimp and grits at papadedeaux and/or TJs seafood market is significantly better than hattie's shrimp and grits.

I recommend going to this restaurant during dinner or brunch as the options were few.

Unimpressed and won't be returning. The quality and taste of the best lunch menu items was poor and over priced.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

On a visit to the Bishop Arts district just after the new year, my family decided to try Hattie's for the first time. I love the atmosphere and set up. From the old world style bar and white tablecloths to the beautiful old tin ceilings, abundant windows and original mosaic tiled floors, it feels like you're walking into a hidden gem in New Orleans.

My mom and I are both gluten free for medical reasons and while the lunch options were few (there are at least twice as many options for dinner) I was excited to see the shrimp and grits on the GF menu! And it did not disappoint! For lunch, the grits are in a "grit cake" form instead of loose grits. Probably leftovers from the night before but who cares!? It's amazing! The red sauce and thin sprigs of green onion were in perfect balance. The large shrimp were perfectly cooked and I can't get that grit cake outta my head. Neither my mom nor myself had any adverse reactions so I feel good about eating there again soon. Other GF options were the pulled pork, a salad with grilled chicken, sandwiches "without bread" and fried green tomatoes. No GF soup that day.

Other non gluten free entrees at our table were the fried chicken sandwich which was huge with lots of sweet potato fries on the side, crab cake salad, and pecan crusted fish..tilapia, maybe, but I don't remember. We also tried the key lime pie which I'm told was really good ( but mom's is still the best). There wasn't a crumb left on anyone's plate and we all left extremely satisfied and well fed.

The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is for the limited GF options for lunch. I would have loved to try one of their amazing looking sandwiches. A suggestion, if anyone from Hattie's is reading this: There are now MANY wonderful gluten free breads and buns that keep well for long periods of time in the freezer and thaw best with a quick blast in a microwave. There are gluten free bakeries right here in town that make fantastic breads, Unrefined Bakery being one. Or maybe consider My Bread, 3 Bakers, Canyon Bakehouse or Taylor Made for national brand options. Please, no Udi's! ;) Even if nothing changes with GF options, we'll be back. Those shrimp and grits are like a siren calling my name! Thanks!

1  Thank Kelly K
Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

From the Bloody Mary to the dessert, Hattie's is one of the best restaurants in town. Always a pleasant stop while wandering the shops and stores in the neighborhood. Try the fried chicken and waffles. The mimosa is memorable as well. And you can not miss the french fries...delectable dipped in the bloody mary...just sayin!