“Wonderful Experience, Can't Wait to Return!!!”

Black Dog Sandwich Shoppe
Ranked #19 of 74 Restaurants in Canyon Lake
Reviewed 7 June 2018

When we moved to the Hill Country of Texas we left a wonderful city of restaurants and wanted to be sure we continued the search after moving. Yesterday we had an outstanding experience at The Black Dog Sandwich Shoppe in Canyon Lake, TX. The place is owned and run by two talented chefs. Not only is the food terrific, but the owners, David & Jill, are awesome people and fun to be around.

Don't forget to check out there FB page too. This will keep you current with any specials.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 24 April 2018

These are not your ordinary sandwiches...they are gourmet, cooked to order and served hot. They are excellent...and the staff is extremely friendly. It's a pleasure to go in every time and the service is excellent. This a family owned operation and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Last week, my husband and I were trying to find a little something to eat for a late lunch, and like most weekdays in Canyon Lake, you're pretty much out of luck finding something open after 2pm. Then I saw @theblackdogsandwichshoppe and thought "Well it's this or the Mexican place again" (which was great but we wanted to try something new).

When I walked in, I was immediately hit by the yummy smells coming from the flattop grill behind the register. But my eyes landed on the variety of homemade cookies tempting me (which I did, in fact, purchase).

The owners, Jill and Dave, are from Vermont and opened this sweet little neighborhood sandwich shop and named it after their actual black dog, Lil Jo. (Who is still alive and kicking.)

Jill and Dave are incredibly welcoming to everyone who came in (even making a special "custom" sandwich for a younger little customer). And when I shared I traveled full-time and wanted to take some pics and stuff, they were very open to the idea and even invited me to go behind the counter to see things up close.

So how were the sandwiches you ask? SO yummy! And HUGE. And... messy. Which explained why they packed forks and wet-naps in the bag with sandwiches, which I thought was odd at first. Oh and the 3 cookies I purchased were also divine. (Did I just admit I bought 3 cookies?)

If you're in #canyonlaketx wondering around the #texashillcountry to go tubing or kayaking, grab a few sandwiches and you won't be disappointed. And pack extra napkins.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

We were spending the day at Canyon Lake and decided to try this little sandwich shop. We were not disappointed! Fresh baked rolls, delicious cookies, and even the pickles on the sandwiches are homemade! Next time we are up in this area, I know where we are stopping for lunch!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 25 January 2018

The sandwich was very good but kind of expensive. The selections are culinary works of art which probably drives the price.

Date of visit: October 2017