“Good Location and price, but it had Bedbugs!”
Review of Buffalo Inn

Buffalo Inn
Buffalo Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Canyon
Reviewed 25 October 2010

After reading all about the USA bedbug problem and studying what they look like, this was my first time encountering them. It was awful! However, I received great customer service from the female Manager upon check in and the motel appeared to be well maintained.
I was put in a corner room, #9. I went to bed at 1:00am and discovered a live bedbug in my bed. I checked the other bed and it also had a live bedbug under the pillow.
I immediately put the live bugs into a plastic ziploc to show the Managers in the morning.
I pulled all the bedding off the beds and shook each piece outside. I checked the mattresses and found evidence of bedbug excrement along the top edge of the mattress and some dead bedbugs on top of the box spring. I slept on one sheet with my own blanket and was bit by another bug during the night. The next morning, I took the plastic bag with bedbugs to the Manager, who gave me just over half my money back in cash.
The Manager claimed that they had no reports of bedbugs, but I suspect that is not true, as the bedbugs were clearly well established. To their credit, the Managers immediately called an exterminator to deal with the problem. I hope that they can get it under control, as the motel would otherwise have been an adequate place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Travelin_T

Reviewed 13 August 2010

We had obtained an OK for our little mini-schnauzer beforehand, except someone failed to write it down or whatever those people do, and I caught hell for having a dog in the room. They received hell in return. We had reservations for two days with either a queen or KS bed. We had two full beds. Stay away from that office! They will find some other instructions for you, like - don't let the dog pee on the grass, take the dog with you if you leave, turn off all lights (a no brainer), turn off AC-it's 98 degrees outside. It was like you were a second grader being lectured by your teacher-only these people were VERY RUDE! I just gave them my credit card & told that woman to process a refund for one night's stay immediately. She did! I switched to Knight's Inn & had a very pleasant stay the second nigt, AND a KS bed! NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cornshucks
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Close and convenient to Palo Duro Canyon. Cheap in comparison to other places. Breakfast is doughnuts and muffins. The place is just real old--with obvious repairs that look creative, if a bit iffy, but no big problems as a result. A/C worked well. Toilet needed coaxing to flush completely. Feel like I should say that we found one and only one bed bug on the sheet in morning (checked google images to make sure what it was). Didn't see any in our stuff for the rest of our trip. Don't see any at home, but we washed everything to make sure. So--maybe it just got left behind by some unfortunate someone or was missed by an exterminator? Otherwise, no huge cleanliness qualms. It's not the Ritz and it's not the greatest, but we just needed a cheap place to sleep for one night. I'd probably try to find someplace else in the future unless price alone is your only priority.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have always been a firm supporter of the Buffalo Inn. We have stayed there mulitple times. However, after this weekend, we will not be staying there again. We had requested a softer mattress, theirs tend to be very firm. They were not able to accomodate us the first night. We asked Sat. morning if there would be something softer available for Sat. night. They discussed it in front of us, (not in English) , the end result was they couldn't be bothered, and we were welcome to go somewhere else. To top it off one of reasons that we liked to stay there was the unique showers, dating from the time the motel was built. These have been replaced by standard tub and shower surrounds. Our room had an unused feel to it and all in all we were sadly disappointed .
On the up side our daughter's room was one of the more used rooms and she had a softer mattress.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2008

This is a wonderful little motor inn. Quaint and charming. I walked to the town square, restaurants, the grocery store and the Pan Handle Plains Museum. It's very retro, like stepping back in time to the 60s, yet it had microwave, refrigerator, cable TV and wireless internet.

I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canyon
0.9 km away
Comfort Inn & Suites
#18 of 72 in Amarillo
1.1 km away
Holiday Inn Express Canyon

Been to Buffalo Inn? Share your experiences!