“Best Chicken Fried Chicken Around”
Review of OST Restaurant

OST Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Bandera
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 10 August 2015

This place is a treat! From the decor to the simple laid-back feel you can't go wrong. We had a large group stop in for an early dinner. Pleasing 9 people in a single spot is always a challenge and everyone left happy, full and ready to go back.

We were greeted with a smile and had fantastic service. And, as you know, with a large group this is always a concern. Don't worry about that at this place.

The only downside was one of the steaks ordered was woefully overcooked (they don't ask you how you'd like it). Other than that ... give it a go! You shouldn't be disappointed.

Reviewed 4 August 2015

lots of locals eat here - definitely a good sign. Must try the ranch chicken - one of the best meals I've had.

Reviewed 3 August 2015 via mobile

We popped into the OST for an early lunch on the National Day of the American Cowboy, and it was a pretty dang good experience!

The last time we were in Bandera, there was a long wait to get in, but this time, we were seated quickly in a dining room that was part dining room, part shrine to John Wayne. The kids were entertained by the salad bar in a covered wagon in the middle of the room and the saddles at the bar.

Service was quick, and before we knew it, we had iced tea and homemade chips and salsa on the table. Really good tea too, which was great because it was hot outside!!!

The OST has a varied menu, and we all ordered something different. One cheeseburger, one plate of ginormous pancakes, one club sandwich, one burrito with "real taco meat" (which I though was hilarious because, of course, it was ground beef, but I kept trying to convince my 5-year old that they probably had a taco farm out back so they'd always have real taco meat), and my hubs ordered some sort of cowboy lumberjack plate (or should I say plateS because it came out on two or three plates!).

As the mom, I assert my right to try everyone else's food, and everything was very tasty. The Mexican dishes weren't amazingly authentic Mexican dishes, they reminded me more like cowboy campfire Mexican dishes. It all came out very quickly (even though they soon became crazy busy) everything was hot and freshly made, and our drinks were never empty. The pancakes were phenomenal. Our server even brought us a stack of extra napkins with our food because we had 3 kids. In itself, that always deserves a big gold star in my book when that happens without having to ask!

All in all, it was a good visit, and we will most definitely be back the next time we are in Bandera.

Reviewed 24 July 2015

I have eaten here a few times and have been impressed with the food. The chicken fried steak is average at best and the hamburgers were a real disappointment.

There are a lot of photos of John Wayne and some other western stars hanging on the wall, but that don't make the food good. I can't imagine The Duke eating here more than one time.

Reviewed 22 July 2015

We went to this restaurant twice while vacationing in Bandera. The first time was for lunch. We ordered burgers and they were very good and the staff was fairly prompt. The second time we went was on our way out of town on a Sunday and there was a 15 minute wait which we didn't mind at all (it gave us a chance to go to the 107 year old general store across the street). 5 of us ordered breakfast for lunch and we were anxiously awaiting those biscuits. About 45 minutes later out food finally arrived with NO BISCUITS!...and they never came. They had run out and were making more but we finished our breakfast with cold toast instead! I ordered breakfast so I could have those biscuits, so I wasn't very happy about my experience! The eggs...were just eggs!