All reviews cowboy larry boot camp day trip water aerobics horseback riding outdoor pool camp fire ranch owner my daughter longhorn cattle ranch hands a great experience dude ranch experience san antonio wagon ride novice riders salad bar
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Just returned home to Scotland after a holiday in San Antonio. This trip was taken as a 50th birthday treat for my hubby who wanted to see the Alamo and ride a horse in Texas. Made the half day reservation with the ranch for the last day of our trip and I can only say it made the holiday perfect. From the minute we arrived , the hospitality shown to us went above and beyond what we expected. We were made to feel so welcome by Mr Larry and the rest of the guys. My husband and son and others went on a 2 hr trail ride on the horses and the rest of our party explored the ranch. We used the indoor swimming pool for a bit to cool down. Afterwards we spent time sitting with Larry and some others listening to his stories ( very funny man ) and generally just relaxing afterwards we went for dinner ( excellent home made fajitas.... yummy!) then a wee ride to go and feed the cattle with Luke and Buster. Then unfortunately it was time to leave, we had booked a taxi and were unable to stay for the camp fire really didn't want to leave.... so a big huge thank you to all at rancho Cortez for the great day had by us all, I really do hope that we can return one day for a stay over and I would 100% recommend this ranch for anyone looking for a ranch experience.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Mary C, Owner at Rancho Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

It was wonderful hosting you and your family for your husband's birthday, Beth! We're so glad you all had a fantastic time on the trail rides and exploring the ranch. It's nice to know your experience here was a highlight of your trip to Texas. Thanks for all of your support.

Take care,

Reviewed 15 September 2017

I did the day trip with my brother this Sunday just gone, and Larry and co were very welcoming and insightful to their culture and experiences - kindly over a cold beer or two and as if we'd known each other years.

- The horse back riding was very peaceful and scenic, a great way of switching off and getting away from city life.
- The lasso throwing was challenging and fun.
- The campfire at sunset/Larry's story/S'mores over the fire was also a great experience.

Would definitely recommend Rancho Cortez to others.

[John/Theo]

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for the recommendation and support, Yian! We're glad you had a wonderful time on our ranch. We hope you and your brother return again in the future.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 21 August 2017

This was my second visit to Rancho Cortez and it was like going home. I was greeted like an old friend and I enjoyed every moment of my stay. What was different was my sleeping accommodations in a recently purchased RV. The RV Park is centrally located with full 30 amp hook up. There was, of course, the expected great hot cooked meals, cattle feeding, horseback riding, and the bonfire with guitar accompaniment. The Wranglers were people oriented, well-trained, knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, and professional. As a Camper, the experience gave a more cowboy atmosphere and I strongly recommend that campers take advantage of this option. I found that the website accurately describes the various facilities and events. I enjoyed all of it and. I will be returning in the near furture.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Mary C, Owner at Rancho Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

It was a delight having you stay with us in your RV! We're so glad you enjoyed all of the fun activities on the ranch as well as the welcoming environment our friendly team provides. Thanks for spreading the word about our ranch. We greatly appreciate all of your support!

Take care,

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Our two daughters (16 & 18) had the time of their lives at this friendly, down to earth ranch about 45 minutes from San Antonio by car. They were warmly welcomed and entertained from start to finish by the owner, Larry, his family and staff. In particular Bas, Sandon, Charlotte and Anthony made this an experience never to forget. Food was plentiful and delicious. Accommodation was spacious, clean and comfortable. There are extensive facilities including two pools, a games room, a gym and acres of unspoilt Texas hill country to enjoy. The horses were well trained and although our girls are experienced riders Rancho Cortez caters for all abilities.
Both girls were reluctant to leave and are planning to return when next in the USA.
Thank you everyone for a truly memorable and happy few days.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Mary C, Owner at Rancho Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

It's fantastic you and your family had a blast staying at our ranch and exploring the area on horseback. We love being a part of your unforgettable memories. Thank you for the support. We look forward to seeing you all here again whenever you're back in the United States.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

The place is nice, big and the facilities are good (swimming pool, hot tube and room with the game).
Horseback riding with the cowboy was a very good experience.
By the way The lady at the "cashier" was unkind, impolite and not very welcoming; she looked me like a "money" not a person.
The feelings about the "women chef" are mixed, one the one hand, some where impolite (at lunch) while other (at dinner) were very nice. The food was taste but few (the price of the ranch is not "few"....).
The Boss "Larry" intrude upon our relax and was inappropriate.
At the end, the amount for this experience is too much.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Mary C, Owner at Rancho Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

While we're glad you enjoyed our facilities and had fun on the horseback ride, it's disappointing to hear you felt the visit wasn't worth it, Carmen. We sincerely apologize for anything our team did or said that was off-putting to you -- this wasn't our intention. We always want the best for our guests.