All reviews roman holiday tournament of roses rocking chairs the smoky mountains lion's den pool table each morning third floor beautiful property fixed menu winding road wedding cake english mountain sunrise room fall foliage food allergies both mornings
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We got a good deal from Groupon for a 2-night stay; even with the reduced price, it was still a lot of money but my husband wanted a nice getaway for my birthday. The view of the Smoky Mts is beautiful from the back of the house--can be seen from the dining room, porches and maybe a couple of the rooms. We had the room above the exercise area which was nice because it was private.

We were greeted by someone who could care less that we were there--gave us the tour matter-of-factly and had no interest in engaging w/us. Because I'm a picky eater, we decided not to make dinner reservations since it would be likely that the menu wasn't appealing to me and we weren't able to look at it beforehand even though it was available due to lack of internet access. I had remembered reading something about a pub and was hopeful that we could eat there rather than having to leave the resort. Since the location is somewhat remote, after the long drive to get there, I didn't want to have to go back out; unfortunately, that was our only choice. The pub is only open on Sundays and Mondays and we arrived on a Wednesday. There were some delicious home-baked cookies available on Wed but the jar was never refilled once they were gone and we left on Friday. Breakfast was very good and the staff there was very nice; however, for the price of the rooms, the coffee was terrible. I'm not sure what kind they served for breakfast but the in-room set-up had Folgers! The room itself was very spacious and it was fun having the whirlpool bath in the bedroom area so you could watch tv from the tub. I do have to say they provide the best bathrobes I've ever had--soft teri inside w/a silky outer layer. I would have loved to wear the robe the entire 2-1/2 days we were there. We were there for the do-nothing appeal and spent most of our time reading though my husband did a short hike from the resort. I probably wouldn't recommend the resort; if someone had a reason to be in this area, they'd be better off staying in a chain-priced hotel.

Room Tip: Nice and private over the gym but nothing beats a good view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mggc
Marston72, Owner at Christopher Place Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Thank you for your review and it sounds like you loved our views, privacy, cookies, robes and breakfast! These are all wonderful things that make Christopher Place a true gem. Marston’s Library Pub hours vary based on season and has only been open Sunday and Monday for several months. Chef Karen Valentine creates a wonderful meal nightly in our main dining room and loves the challenge of a picky eater! As each guest makes their reservation we specifically ask for dietary concerns and those are applied to breakfast and dinner. I am sure had you chosen to experience this you would have found the meal one of the most memorable portions of your stay. We welcome the feedback on the coffee and will take it into consideration as we are always looking to ensure our guests visits simply perfect. Again, we are happy you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Quiet, peaceful, beautiful, clean, super comfortable bed, 2 room suite, and everything else you would want for a stress free get-a-way! Meals were excellent, staff was friendly and competent. Although we didn't use the facilities, it was nice having access to hiking trail, tennis, exercise room, sauna, game room, and billiards. Highly recommend, we will go back!

Room Tip: Sir Charles was nice for us, it had a table for us to play a board game and use the laptop.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean S
Reviewed 1 August 2012

What a place!! The staff were perfectly what you would expect at a mansion-kind, helpful, and respectful of privacy. The mansion itself was full of antiques and fancy little touches here and there. The food prepared at this amazing place was beyond superb! Loved it!! Last, but not least, the view was breathtaking....to wake up every morning and take in the view of the mountains while rocking in your rocking chair and sipping on some hot tea in your robe (which is supplied) felt like heaven :) Plenty of activities to do onsite and would also recommend Zip-lining nearby. This is the perfect place if you are looking to relax & unwind in the mountains of TN!

Room Tip: The Lion's Den wins it for me!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chelbear
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I held my wedding at Christopher Place recently and the staff could not have been more gracious, helpful, kind, and simply wonderful. The location itself is breathtaking, a hike up English Mountain, I highly recommend. That being stated, the beautiful rooms, the delicious food--- none of that compares to how lovely Marston and Debbie and the rest of the staff were to my family and I for the weekend and the months leading up to it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank WabashaYankee
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We rented the Sunrise and Mountain View sutes to share with our daughter and son-in-law. Perfect set up for two couples. Wonderful treats on the welcome tray. Comfortable well furnished rooms with and awesome view from the deck. It was very hot while we were there and the pool provided a welcome relief. Good work out equipment and hiking trails. Fish in the bar, dinner in the dining room, and breakfast all excellently prepared, & delivered. Awesome place to stay and eat. Would go back again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple