“Great day out”

Healesville Sanctuary
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Healesville
More attraction details
Owner description: Healesville Sanctuary, in the heart of the Yarra Valley, is world-renowned as the best place to see Australian wildlife in their natural habitat. Set in a beautiful natural environment, the Sanctuary offers a place for people and animals to reconnect with nature from creek to canopy, and plays a critical role in saving some of the world's most endangered animals. Explore the 70 acre bushland haven to experience close-up encounters with some of Australia's unique and endearing wildlife, including koalas, kangaroos, wombats, emus, dingoes, birds of prey and platypus. Visitors are also free to explore the Australian Wildlife Health Centre, a working vetinary hospital treating over 1500 orphaned, ill or injured wildlife every year. The expert team shares the journey of animal rescue, rehabilitation and release with the Sanctuary's visitors. Don't miss: Spirits of the Sky: A free flight presentation featuring Australian raptors such as the Wedge Tailed Eagle, and colourful parrot species. Tales from Platypus Creek: Come face-to-face with Healesville Sanctuary's most iconic species in a world-first interactive Platypus show. Observe Platypus as they interact with keepers, play in the water and even enjoy having their tummies tickled! Wade with the Platypus: In this world-first, hands-on experience it will be your turn to be the Platypus keeper. You will have the opportunity to step into the shallow water of the 'Platypus play pool' where it's normally the keeper's job to play, frolic, tickle and feed our little furry friends.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Visited with 2 year old grandson. It was a lovely day out. I hadn't been for 20 years. It's improved quite a lot . The animals look happy and healthy and staff were very good.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,764)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"picnic lunch"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

My husband and I had a great time here at the Sanctuary, my favourites being the Koala's. We loved seeing all the different animals, but my husband liked the Snakes best, probably because he knows how creepy they make me feel...lol . There are plenty of amenities throughout the park - toilets, cafe's - and a great gift shop! This place is a must see for people young, old, and disabled (which I am).

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I spent 4 hours here on a beautiful day but could easily have spent another couple of hours. I arrived soon after opening time at 9am. Some of the animals were sleepy and not to be seen but on my way out I was able to catch up with most of them. You do have to retrace your steps at times to see the complete sanctuary. Because of my time constraints I was unable to see the Spirits of the Sky presentation although I had seen it on an earlier visit and would highly recommend it.
I stopped for a hot chocolate at the Pavilion Cafe but there are many beautiful picnic spots dotted around if you bought your own food.
We were a bit disappointed that there was only one dingo visible and that was hard to find. The wombats were nowhere to be seen either.
The platypus exhibion was excellent and what a privilege it was to see them. Likewise the Animals of the Night area.
This was the very best day that my husband and I had experienced in a long while.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Our friends, who live in the area, took us to Healesville for the morning. It is a very well laid out sanctuary, with plenty of view points for the animals and the availability to engage in feeding/petting some species. I would encourage anyone thinking of visiting to book ahead, as there were no spaces left on the koala feeding when we went. We did, however sit in on the Platypus Experience - fascinating - and the Birds of Prey display - awesome.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This place is very impressive. It doesn't feel like a zoo with how they have the plantings and exhibits set up. Boardwalks run alongside the koala trees so you're right at eye level with them, the emu and cassowary enclosures feel very open, you can look right down into the wombat and devil enclosures. Aviaries with birds right alongside you. It covers a lot of ground, so be sure to wear your walking shoes and bring a bottle of water to refill as you walk along! You can bring in a picnic lunch which was so nice.