“Dads 90th Birthday”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 April 2018

My Sister and I decided to surprise my Dad on his 90th birthday and get all the family together for a meal . We chose the Harp as we have been before and have enjoyed it.
My Mum and Dad arrived and thought that there would only be my Sister and her daughter entered the restaurant to find the whole family there. I had not seen my Dad for nearly a years as I live abroad. We had a lovely meal and thanks to the staff for everything . In our party we had a Vegan a Vegetarian and a few carnivores all we catered for and we all enjoyed our meals . Again thanks to all at the Harp and the photos came out nice. We will definitely be back.

2  Thank David M

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We came for a family meal and really enjoyed our evening at The Harp Inn, Leterston. We all ordered from the specials board, which was extensive and everyone enjoyed their choice. Locally caught fish was the main attraction and was cooked to perfection. Some of the side salads were a bit more like a fruit salad, but that’s a minor point.

Attention to detail could be improved, the condiments were like those in a chip shop (vinegar bottle) and the decor was a little dated, but this didn’t detract from the food.

Customer service has been commented on some of the reviews here, but we had no problems, they were attentive (but not overly so) and helpful.

Overall a very enjoyable family meal.

Jack S, Manager at The Harp Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

thank you for your nice review we endeavour to offer a wide range of local produce and fresh fish , as to your minor mentions ,I do like fruit on our salads ,but understand that some people don't ,the vinegar bottles are there for the customers ,we don't do sachets for sauces ,and when we have had oil bottles and glass condiment sets they seem to disappear ,hence the old fashioned vinegar bottles

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We chose to eat at the Harp on Easter Bank Holiday Monday for the first time.
We were hoping to have lunch but found a very limited menu without much variety. I chose the cold turkey and my husband cod and chips. At over 12 pounds each we thought these surely would be very nice. The turkey itself was fine but very over priced for what it was, and I didn't try the salad garnish as it looked horrible, the chips were basic cook from frozen oven chips and lukewarm at that.
Overlooking the bad chips and poor salad on his plate, my husband began to tuck into his fish. Beneath the fish was a strange, unbattered, tough bit of - presumably - fish. This was a grey colour and clearly not part of the fish on the plate. My husband tried to cut into it to work out what it was, but it was far too tough. Instead of eating his fish, my husband ate his and mine chips and we promptly left.
Whilst paying 27 pounds for this meal, the manager showed no interest in our meal and why we left so fast.
The décor in the Harp was very basic, with the tables and chair more fitting for a bingo hall. We thought the reason for the poor décor was that the money from the expensive meals goes towards high quality food. Cleary not.
We will most certainly, definitely never return, and may never eat fish again.

2  Thank Sarah C
Jack S, Manager at The Harp Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

after reading your "review" ,I am not sure what you think you ordered , on our menu it says
cold Pembrokeshire turkey ,oven baked on the premises with chips ,peas and salad garnish £10.95
an extra large fresh battered cod with chips ,peas and garnish for £12.85 , and it is an extra large fillet of cod
we don't offer frozen chips, neither do I make my own triple cooked chips .we just use a very nice popular chip .
fresh cod once skinned has a distinct underside that is not white but neither is it grey and all our cod is of the highest quality .if you had a problem with your lunch we would have dealt with it there and then ,but neither of you commented to the waitress or in deed when you paid your bill to my wife
quite what your taste in décor has to do with your lunch review,I am not sure ,I have seen lots of your other reviews on your pages and feel that you really are not happy most of the time -I am sorry we where one of them .

Reviewed 15 March 2018

the set meal was absolutely tasteless even the gravy had no taste to it. What went wrong chef? and the waitress could have had a smile instead of looking as if whe did not want to be there

4  Thank mary m
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Being a large party of 21 we were asked to book our meals two days in advance. Unfortunately there was an error in the original order where a child's scampi meal had been ordered as an adult meal instead - this caused a bit of confusion when all the children but one had received their meals along with the adults starters. The head of the party proceeded to order a further children's meal (chicken nuggets) believing she had forgotten the meal, immediately afterwards she realised her mistake and attempted to cancel the order and amend the adult scampi to a child portion. The woman in charge was not very pleasant or accommodating and more or less refused stating with an attitude that "the chicken nuggets had just been put in the fryer" but agreed to change the order.

Admittedly the initial mistake was on our part, but was rectified as soon as it was realised. This should have only affected the restaurant in the loss of a child's portion of chicken nuggets as the adult scampi had been amended in sufficient time. As a gesture of good will for 20+ meals you would hope this could be overlooked - but oh no! Our party was actually charged for the child's chicken nugget meal (£5.95) and an adult's scampi (£10.95) - both of which were never even received.
So who actually ate these meals?

The poor service does not end here, there were a number of mistakes (no longer on our part) - but most people can forgive these and no fuss was made on our behalf at all.

1) Two mixed grills were received which did not have the same variety of meat on
2) A curry was ordered with the option to substitute chicken for prawns at a
supplement of £2.95 extra and there were literally only 4 prawns in the dish
3) A steak with salad was ordered but chips received instead
4) Chocolate brownie desserts were sent out that no-one ordered
5) Three apple and cherry crumbles were ordered, but three apple pies received
instead. When these were returned, the woman in charge came back to state there
were no crumbles left so they sent out apple pie instead. Rather than make a fuss
these were accepted, but the pastry base was raw and inedible.
Surely it is good practice and etiquette to check with the customer that this is
acceptable first!
6) Unable to accommodate a child's portion of chocolate fudge cake - is it so difficult
to cut a smaller piece?

What could have been an enjoyable evening, but average meal was definitely spoilt by the attitude of the woman in charge and her greed for money rather than good customer service. I found the quality of the food was not up to the expectation of the prices. The starters were especially expensive. It was simple, average pub grub.

I will not be returning after this disappointing visit, and I will not be recommending it to anyone either. The food is ok, but there is better in the Haverfordwest area with a far warmer welcome and better service.

9  Thank Sarah H
Jack S, Owner at The Harp Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

it is much easier when you have a problem to mention it at the time,in order to rectify any mistakes on either part ,however you chose not to do this and then write a couple of reviews that are not exactlycorrect
As you said the initial problem was the re-ordering of a extra meal when you had already over ordered .all meals were sent out as the party accepted the mistake and said that they would get eaten .so in answer to your question some one on your table ate the meals
.1.our mixed grills are sent by the local butcher in a vac-pack set - .rump steak ,pork steak ,lamb chop or steak and gammon ,so the meat is always the same on each portion
.2.you fail to specify that the prawns are tiger or king prawns and you get 6 in a portion not 4 and a supplement is normal instead of chicken
3.an extra salad was sent to the table on request , even though the steak salad initially had been sent
4.the brownie was a mistake we accept ,it was ordered for another party
5.we did apologise on selling out of the crumble ,and as you say people accepted the alternative offered .our homemade apple pie is very popular
6. we offer child portions in approximately 8 desserts ,but not i am afraid the chocolate fudge cake ,as it is not on that list

we are sorry you felt the need to write 2 reviews instead of talking to us at the time ,please read the answers above