“beautiful and restful”
Review of Garn Isaf

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haverfordwest
Garn Isaf
Ranked #4 of 44 Haverfordwest B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2015

stayed a week at Garn Isaf. Wanted somewhere a little "off the beaten track" as we holiday annually in Pembrokeshire and know it pretty well with family having lived in the area. Garn Isaf was a very good choice, excellently managed, very good food and
first class accommodation. A short distance from Abercastle bay/beach with beautiful views all round. Available : B&B (very good value), self catering and camping around the main farmhouse site, Friendly pub for reasonably priced 2/3 course meals a very short drive away and easy drives to Fishguard, Goodwick, Gwaun Valley, St.David's .
and surrounding beauty spots. Ideal for kayaking, boating, walking and sporting pursuits. Thank you especially to our genial hosts Ann & Ibrahim,

Room Tip: Ask for advice when booking as plenty of scope
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 October 2015

My husband and I have stayed at Anne's (owner) several times both on the Campsite and the Bed and Breakfast.

We have yet to find a more accommodating host, plus the facilities are excellent! The area is perfect for outside adventures, with outstanding beauty all around.

We would highly recommend a stay!!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2015

Birmingham was the starting point for our trip to Garn Isaf in west Wales. Because I don't 'do' satnavs, I relied on our driver and co-driver to work out the best route. My recollection was that Birmingham is just a bit to the right of Wales and therefore, I calculated, west Wales would be a bit further to the left - maybe two hours, in total? Deep in conversation, I was rather surprised to discover that we were speeding past Cardiff (uh, hullooo - south Wales, surely?) on the M4. When we finally reached sea in front of us, as opposed to on our left, I assumed we had nearly reached our destination. Evil laugh. In fact, it was another two hours before we found the brilliantly hidden Garn Isaf, set back from a B road that had approximately five digits attached and was the width of a disability scooter.

Clever move. Keeping the roads tiny and inaccessible means that this part of Wales remains beautifully unspoilt and I really did feel as if I were re-visiting my 1950's childhood: tiny hamlets with one church, one pub and three dwellings, post boxes set into ancient walls, the odd red telephone box, profuse hedgerows that threaten to meet across the narrow roads and few humans - but a super-abundance of birds, insects, wild flowers and sheep! When you did encounter humans, they seemed to have taken on many of the characteristics of sheep: gentle, slow and woolly. I'm not sure how warm and welcoming sheep are, being a bit of a townie, but the humans were also extremely hospitable and friendly.

Having arrived at our B&B and worked out how to get in (it's the right hand door in the building facing the road), we were delighted with what we found: a beautiful old farm building conversion which offered a cosy shared lounge lit by two walls of windows and decorated with lovely African cloths and ornaments, a spacious dining room with a massive wooden table and a few additional small tables and our really lovely en suite bedrooms that provided everything we needed.

After our long drive, the first thing we all needed was a walk so we hopped back into the car for about two minutes until we found the beginning of the nearby coastal path. The scenery was stunning and the walk bracing. Cliff edges were close enough that a light dog could get blown over in a strong gust of wind. At each turn, we were treated to fabulous views of inaccessible rocky bays that constantly disappeared beneath the crashing waves. We even saw a couple of seals playing in the swell.

Suitably refreshed by our walk, we stopped for food and then returned to Garn Isaf to enjoy a relaxed evening playing cards and quaffing wine. After a couple of hours, Annie, the owner, arrived and we were delighted when she agreed (in response to our insistence) to join our game. (If you're thinking of doing the same, be prepared for a thorough thrashing.) Annie is very easy-going, warm and friendly - the perfect host.

She is also brilliant at preparing the most appetising breakfast feasts, which we spent about an hour wading through the following morning before continuing on our adventure. As well as the delights already mentioned, we also discovered an ancient yew in the churchyard of St Brynach's, a 6th century church, that has been bleeding ever since a monk was hanged on the tree for a crime he didn't commit. You can actually observe the 'blood' seeping out of a wound in the tree, about rope height. I found myself feeling a bit goose pimply when we also saw in the same churchyard a carved stone obelisk that marked the grave of a ROMAN - Vitalinus - from just a few centuries into the first millennium AD.

Still reeling from our unexpected brush with ancient history, we staggered on to Pentre Ifan, which turned out to be a NEOLITHIC burial chamber. We mused in disbelief at the enormous stone that had balanced so delicately on two tiny points for, we learned, 5.5 thousand years. What these two sites had in common was the casual insouciance with which they were made available to anyone who cared to explore: no security, no cordoning off, no health and safety restrictions - just an extraordinary piece of living history that was simply there.

Following another coastal walk and a delicious supper, we left our final evening's wine untouched deciding instead to sink into our comfortable beds and rest our aching muscles to dream of bleeding trees and bleeding sheep.

Room Tip: The upstair family room has sloping ceilings that might be unsuitable for tall, accident-prone types
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2015

I stayed for 2 nights at Gran Isaf with my dog. The owner is lovely - very friendly, hospitable, and helpful. The accommodation is great, I had a large, spacious room, and downstairs the dining room and sitting room are very comfortable, complete with dvds to borrow, also maps and books. The accommodation is very near the coastal path, with magnificent views as you walk. A wonderful spot and a wonderful B & B. I will definitely go back there when I visit the area again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have direct access to the outside.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2015

Stayed at the campsite for a week and I have to say that Ann (the owner) deserves a page of her own here- very welcoming and more than happy to talk. The toilets were basic in terms of some campsites out there, and washing up facilities next to the toilets.. but that is nothing when you consider the views, the huge pitches (13 I think?) and the perfect location for walks along the coast, from Abercastle 250m down the road.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family