Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
SAVE US$14
Orbitz.com
Expedia.comUS$111
3,244 results
All reviews library bar bertie's restaurant medieval banquet prince of wales suite cream tea peacocks wandering moat spa steeped in history relaxation room roll top bath grounds are lovely spa facilities birthday treat deluxe room cooked breakfast steam room some tlc
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 December 2020 via mobile

Phone ahead because although we had booked, that vital bit of information was too far down the email to be read. It was easier to say, you have no reservation, so you may find yourself standing around like a teenager trying to gatecrash a party. If you have a meal you might want to check what you can eat, and what is 'forbidden'. It seems that the deal we were booked in on (by our kids) meant we were not permitted steak. They don't tell you this when you order, they will embarrass you later when they hit you with the bill and you contest the amount. Lovely surroundings and if you like to be treated like you shouldn't even be there then this may well be the place to visit.

Reviewed 11 December 2020 via mobile

Came here on a post-lockdown honeymoon.
Staff were incredible, a notable shout-out goes to Dean (who is usually in the restaurant but said he had been moved to the spa) who really made our visit feel special and is a credit to the hotel.
The hotel itself is spectacular. Such an incredible building, beautiful furniture and actual live peacocks cutting about.

The spa was incredible, we had the body smooth and soothe which was rejuvenating and I've genuinely never been smoother. I feel like if I ran a 10k I'd have shaved several seconds off due to lack of wind resistance.

The room was adequately sized, some might say small but you need to take in the fact they'd managed to get an almost queen sized bed in there and in the bathroom a genuine claw foot bath.

The dream.

I'd say anyone who wants to book a few days away should absolutely go here.
We'll no doubt be back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James Cunningham, General Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2020

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay - thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review.

I hope to welcome you back to Ruthin Castle very soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2020

Where do I begin. The receptionist left us standing 10 minutes while she finished her phone call, followed by a rude conversation checking in. I was told the facilities were open when I booked but got there to find out they were not:defeats the object of a spa stay. We had to chase up our bottle of prosecco which was supposed to be in our room and there was no record at the tavern of our lunch booking. We paid for a meal in berties restaurant which we did not receive. The food was ok: not what is expected of a 4 star hotel. We were not the only people who were majorly disappointed with the service. We will not be returning.

1  Thank Stacey J

I am sorry to read of your disappointment.

In terms of our spa we have been very clear since we re-opened in August that the government mandates - like in all hotels & spas - that saunas and steam rooms cannot open but we have built a whole spa garden with hot tubs for you to use instead.

Your dinner, bed and breakfast rate isn't specifially within Bertie's, and I would hope that in these very trying circumstances you would understand we cannot always have two restaurants open if the demand is not there. That said your dinner was in our newly refurbished Tafarn in the oldest part of the castle which has just opened to great applause from locals and hotel guests alike.

I am sorry that your check-in was delayed as the receptionist dealt with another guest on the telephone - each guest whether on the phone or in person is extremely valued and we aim to offer the very best service to them and so cannot just cut them off.

I do hope I can welcome you back to Ruthin Castle to see the continued improvements we seek to make in 2021.

Reviewed 5 December 2020 via mobile

Having just returned from Ruthin Castle spa hotel having planned a romantic night away to propose to my partner I have now found myself leaving it until I arrived home. I emailed the castle a week earlier to ask for a bottle of champagne to be left in our room and never received a reply or the champagne ( I hadn’t asked for a free bottle incidentally) the room was nice to be fair with a lovely bathroom and views. Had drinks in the bistro which was nice although service extremely slow. We decided to eat in the restaurant that night and the food was ok decor a little tired however we ordered a cheese board to share as we didn’t need one each and the waiter asked if we wanted side plates...these never arrived neither did a knife to cut the cheese despite several requests so we ended up eating the cheese by cutting it with a spare fork on the table. Breakfast was particularly poor. Ordered full welsh only to watch people served who came in later including a couple who ordered something completely different given our food and I can only presume that they were also fed up waiting so they took it. After an hour the couple sat next to us put in a complaint and mentioned us also. Breakfast arrived but not what we ordered and by now the fawlty towers service was not as funny so my partner asked for his scrambled eggs which they finally brought out in a bowl 20 mins later as we were leaving. Needless to say they were sent back. I’m not usually one to complain but even on a Black Friday deal the night we spent £200 all in. On the whole we enjoyed ourselves because we chose not to let it get us down but it was definitely not worth the price and I ended up proposing back in our local wine bar. Needless to say the wedding will now happen on holiday in India rather than a local castle. Shame really. Glad we hadn’t travelled too far for the experience

Date of stay: November 2020
1  Thank camping874567
Reviewed 28 November 2020

We stayed thursday night and upgraded to the patsy suit which was fantastic
Double bath and a tv to watch in the bathroom whilst in the bath. That night we had a 3 course dinner and wine which was really lovely. The restaurant was beautiful and service, food was great. Breakfast was also lovely.

So we stayed a 2nd night and used the hot tubs which were outside by the spar with lots of tree lights all around and it was really special. An amazing experience and cant wait to go back. Xx

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James Cunningham, General Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2020

I am so pleased you had such a lovely stay - hope to welcome you back again soon.

James