All reviews clock tower steam room italian restaurant on arrival main restaurant four poster afternoon tea sea salt beautiful hotel sat nav set in beautiful grounds fine dining bottle of prosecco relaxing break wedding breakfast changing rooms large pool
Reviewed 22 October 2016

We decided to stay here as a special place to spend our last night before embarking to Ireland on our way home. It was a beautiful spot with a lovely room overlooking a courtyard. While i was able to book a massage there wasn't capacity to accommodate my husband which was disappointing.
The staff were helpful explaining the facilities available and ensured we were looked after in the cafe while we waited for our room to be ready.

Room Tip: main floor is great
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2016

Many thanks for your review. Glad you had an enjoyable stay and the team looked after you. We hope to welcome you back to the hall soon

Reviewed 21 October 2016

I am writing this review based on my experience but also on what the hotel rack rate is. At £150/night for the basic room one expects everything to be impeccably, in my view it was not. Actually struggled to work out what was wrong with the hotel as nothing is wrong but neither does it offer good value. Only on leaving did I get it! The owners of the hotel seem to spend more effort on the grounds than on the inside of the hotel. The grounds are beautiful and obviously a labour of love. The interior of the hotel is not bad but not brilliant. They even offer to supply wellies so you can explore the grounds, which probably says it all.

The bedroom was enormous so a really positive but the actual decor and furniture very, very old fashioned. A bedspread, last time I saw one of those was in the 1970's. Thing the hotel like to give the impression of antiques, I saw it as stuff from a second hand shop! Fortunately it wasn't too cold when I stayed as the heating doesn't come on to 6pm! The bathroom was good and had been recently refurbished, though again the choose of decor could be better.

I used the spa which was good for what I wanted, a swin and a sauna and the staff there were very helpful.

There are two restaurants, an up market one which I saw a for an occasion and as I was on my own gave it a miss. Used the Italian one, which was again a bit of a disappoint. Though Italian food is open to interpretation and sometimes you can order the "wrong" item. Though their Pizzas weren't that great. I ate it, but!

Overall didn't get a great impression and I might stay there again if only to get a chance to explore the grounds.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Howie922
TreYsgawenHall, General Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2016

Dear Howie, thank you for posting and sharing your opinion on the Hall, the price and style here at Tre-Ysgawen Hall. Thank you also for your custom, I realise you have a choice of where you choose to stay and never take that for granted.
I’m really please and encouraged you are considering returning and it’s nice to hear you are interest in exploring the gardens , woods and (if you would like the walled garden also) where as you rightly say we provide wellington boots (no charge) for guest use due to certain areas being a little muddy at times.
I’m an however sorry you don’t feel you got value for money from the hall and I can say I don’t think the rate will drop much more even depending on the time of year for the £150 you paid for 1 nights bed and breakfast. This is in part due to 20% of that figure being Vat and then a further 20% commission to the booking agent leaving the hotel with approx. £96.00 nett to provide some of the services and facilities mentioned below.
I consider, offering bed and breakfast, where a continental buffet to start is available followed by a cooked to order breakfast traditional breakfast with all the usual cooked breakfast choices along with smoked salmon/haddock/kippers etc. all available at no supplement. The option of a casual bar and restaurant in the day time in the clock tower and then in the evening the hotel bar , Noëlles fine dining restaurant or the Il Giardino Italian restaurant (where starts start from £5.50 and main courses from £8.50) is worth considering as part of the experience.
It’s also worth noting that at no extra charge car parking is available (often £10/£20 at other establishments or overnight car parks), and not only access to the swimming pool and sauna as you mention, but also to the cold drench, the ice fountain, the salt inhalation room and the experience shower, not to forget the fully equipped Gymnasium (all this costs £35 per visit to non-residents) and option to book spa treatments, along with being provided with complimentary use of towels slippers and robes within the spa and complimentary Wi-Fi (again sometime charged for) if needed throughout the hotel if required.
Part of the experience of Tre-Ysgawen is the country house feel , the feeling of space , tranquility, options of where to relax be it in the lobby , clock tower bar , the library, by the side of the pool or the hotel bar , and not to forget your room or outside (weather permitting ) in and around our beautiful gardens. We also provide an opportunity to interact with our local team of people who can offer advice and insight into what is available and to do in the local area and I don’t think should not be overlooked either.

So it may be of no surprise that I think with all that we offer I consider £150 to be very reasonable and fair compared to what can often be the price (and also a lot more) of for one of the “lodge or Inn” type establishments who often provide nothing but the room.

I do hope we do get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hall shortly and have the change to change your opinion.

Yours
Neil Rowlands
CEO.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

We stayed at this Spa hotel mid September. This was our second stay and was just as wonderful as the first. We had a courtyard room and a bottle of Prosecco. The room was very airy and because it had French doors leading out to a small terrace it was bright and sunny.
Our only problem this time was a different restaurant had opened. It was Italian Ill Giordino and we did eat there and had a gorgeous meal, however we really didn't want to eat Italian every evening. I didn't find anything I really fancied on the menu for the Noelles restaurant and felt it would have been a waste of money. During our previous stay we ate in the Clocktower and found the menu varied and more to our liking, plus we were able to eat there without the worry of 'dressing up' if we had been in the spa for either a swim or a treatment. We really missed being able to eat there in the evening and we did mention it to the staff. One member of staff Amanda stood out for her friendliness and help. I had been (still am) poorly and she remembered us from our first visit and bought us tea or coffee as requested with a bit of banter and a chat. This was very welcome.
I had a Reiki treatment which was brilliant but I believe this has now stopped.
The gardens were still gorgeous, all the trees beginning to change to the Autumn colours, we did look for the red squirrels but didn't see any.
We are hoping to return again before Christmas and look forward to our stay. I would recommend the Courtyard room, we were lucky and had lovely weather so sitting out in the evening with our drinks was truly like being on holiday.
Thanks go to the reception staff as well, especially Nia who arranged our room after I had had to change our dates twice.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room this time, but our room along the corridor last time was just as lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Josy w

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed your time with us and that the team looked after you. We look forward to welcoming you back before Christmas!

Reviewed 13 October 2016

From the moment we arrived we were treated so well by all the staff it was like being welcomed home! And what a home. I actually won a competition to stay here for dinner bed and breakfast which also included an Anglesey SeaSalt massage. All of it was fantastic. The room was beautiful, the meal in the smaller of the two restaurants was sublime, and the service was impeccable. My only very small criticism was that that some of the public rooms were a little bit cold that evening, and it would have been lovely to have had some sort of fire in the drawing room where we retired for coffee after the meal. But as I say this is a very small criticism as I don't wish to say anything other than that we loved it here! It all added to a totally unique experience that I would recommend wholeheartedly, we can't wait to return.

4  Thank PeteCowell
Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night in October.
First impressions - beautiful building in lovely grounds which were very well maintained. Inside the decor is very old fashioned but in-keeping with an old country house hotel. Our room (6) was huge with a whirlpool bath, which was a surprise, and a large, comfortable four poster bed.

The spa is definitely the highlight of the hotel. Very clean, lovely facilities. Staff at reception very friendly. The heated pool is great and steam room, sauna etc were spot on.

Dinner at the Italian restaurant was interesting. Staff nice but our waiter (sorry didn't catch his name but his English was terrible and no he wasn't Welsh) didn't understand a word we said and actually had to copy from the menu onto his notepad when taking our order. Food was nice but overpriced. Spicy lamb ragu was lovely, but the Welsh lamb rump was drowning in creamy polenta. Far too much sauce!

Drinks very pricey but wasn't surprising, usual hotel prices. Bar was often not staffed despite being 24 hours.

On the whole, despite the issues at the restaurant, we really enjoyed our stay as the room was comfortable and the spa fantastic. Would return but probably wouldn't eat here. Ideal for a spa day/weekend.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2016

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. I will pass your comments on regarding the service and food to the relevant departments to discuss. Apologies on the waiter, he is a student from France here to improve his English for six weeks and to have hotel/ restaurant experience. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.