Royal Goat Hotel(Beddgelert)
US$127
Alpine Lodge(Llanberis)
US$93
TripAdvisor
Bryn Tyrch Inn(Capel Curig)
US$132
US$132
Llyn Gwynant Campsite(Nant Gwynant)
Lake View(Llanberis)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsresidents loungebreakfast and dinnerdrying roommeal timesedmund hillarypublic roomsvictorian bathlimited choicesmoke roommarmalademount everesthistoric hotelet alicing on the cakewalkers and climbersmod conscapel curig
Reviewed 16 September 2017

I booked a room for a couple of nights because I didn't fancy sharing a dorm at the nearby hostel. What an amazing find.
The place reminds me of Jamaica Inn, tucked away in the middle of nowhere. It's about a mile from Pen-y-Pass which is the start of several routes up Snowdon. As the carpark there is extortionate and fills up by 8am it's easy to leave your car at the hotel and just walk a bit further free of charge.
I've read some of the negative reviews and can honestly say it wasn't like that when I was there. It was busy but the service was excellent. The breakfasts and dinners are very good quality. I didn't try the packed lunches. My only complaint was the time breakfast is served. In peak season at the weekends residents don't want to wait until 8:so to have breakfast. It should be earlier.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Best location of any hotel for walking around Snowdon - but be prepared to live with traditional approach - fixed times for breakfast and dinner - no key for rooms - no sinks in loos and only one shower for those not en-suite. The upside is lovely old fashioned bathrooms and being able to walk up Snowdon from the front door. We were very touched by our daughter being allowed to join the Snowdon Club and being presented with a silver pick-axe badge, which is awarded without charge to under 13s who walk up and down Snowdon. A few more creature comforts and a bit more service and flexibility would be appreciated...but we are very grateful and many will love it for what it is...

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2017

A friend was booked in on a scrambling course at nearby Plas Y Brenin and I was able to get a lift up for a three night stay at the Pen Y Gyryd (PYG).
The hotel has played an important role in mountaineering history, being the base for Sir John Hunt's pre 1953 Everset training and has long been a favourite haunt of mountaineers and enthusiasts for the great outdoors. You will find memorabilia and artifacts throughout the hotel.

It probably hasn't changed that much since Ed Hillary was a resident all those years ago, this is a big part of it's charm, the hotel hasn't succumb to too many mod cons. It is certainly more than a little quirky, no signing in or formal registration on arrival, no room keys (you can lock yourself in for the night though), breakfast and dinner religiously announced by a gong at 830 and 1930 prompt...
Despite the few eccentricities, I loved the place, the food and drink were good, staff very helpful and friendly, plus good banter with the other residents.
My main objective was to do some hillwalking and you won't find a more ideally situated hotel than the PYG. On my first day, despite very poor weather, I set out for Snowdon, there is now a path linking PYG to Pen Y Pass thus avoiding the dangerous walk along the road, from Pen Y Pass, I went up via the Pig Track and down the Llanberis Path, from Llanberis the "Sherpa" bus took me back up the pass to PYG. On my second day I enjoyed a fabulous walk in great weather taking the Miners Track (starts just a few yards from the hotel) up onto The Glyder's and then down into the Ogwen Valley, again I made use of the bus to return to base via Capel Curig.
So if you're a keen walker or budding mountaineer, I can very highly recommend a stay at the PYG, I certainly will return!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We visited this hotel on the back of a group walk to Snowdon. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. We arrived quite late on the Friday (just in time for a swift nightcap) but the staff remembered that we were off out before breakfast so showed us where our packed lunches would be and how to get out.
The hotel is a wonderful time warp of old mountain memories (Hilary and Everest) and service. The breakfast and diner are signaled with a gong , the quality of the food is good and the idea of a bracing swim in the lake followed by a warm-up in the sauna make for a visit that will always stay in our memory.

Room Tip: quiet, old fashioned service, but no modern 3 pin plugs in room!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

We came across this pub but knew nothing about its historical links i.e. Hillary et al and Mount Everest. I'm sure this is a life saver situated where it is but personally I found the lady behind the bar unwelcoming. We ordered sandwiches which came out reasonably quickly to the (slightly neglected) garden where we enjoyed a good drink in the sunshine.. The interior of the bar is very dark and oppressive, as were the toilets. This establishment could benefit from just TLC without spoiling the rural situation and the type of Hotel that us strives to be. Nothing wrong with the situation, food, beer just lacks that important something.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple