“Historic Hotel and pub perfectly situated for exploring the mountains of North Wales”
Review of Pen Y Gwryd Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nant Gwynant
Pen Y Gwryd Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nant Gwynant
Reviewed 31 October 2017

To visit the Pen y Gwryd hotel is to wallow in the history of British mountaineering and Victorian plumbing.
I had passed many times but never stopped and decided to change that one day by popping in for lunch. I was so impressed that I booked for an overnight stay that weekend.
We were made to feel very welcome from the start and our room was clean with comfortable beds and traditional bedding (the bedspreads are from the local woolen mill in a traditional Welsh design woven from the colours of the surrounding mountains).
We were forewarned about some of the idiosyncrasies of the hotel (the lack of room keys, fixed mealtimes etc) and embraced these as they are part of what makes the PYG unique.
As promised, dinner was announced by a gong at 7.30 and served in a welcoming dining room. The emphasis is on hearty and sustaining food rather than fine dining, perfect after a day in the hills. The manager had attempted to call me to ask if our party were vegetarian, but I would advise that non meat-eaters let the hotel know to be on the safe side as food choices are limited.
Standard rooms are not en-suite but there are ample bathrooms, some of them with wonderful original Victorian fittings.
There are no tea-making facilities in rooms but we ordered an early morning tray and it arrived on time.
Breakfast is announced by an 8.30 gong and served in the dining room and is well cooked with plenty of choice.
The hotel is particularly dog-friendly with dogs allowed throughout with the understandable exception of the dining-room.
The hotel is well heated and there were blazing fires in the bars and lounges in the evening.
The PYG is particularly well situated for walkers and climbers: the Miners' Track to Glyder Fach starts at a stile about 100 metres from the hotel; the Miners' Track to the summit of Snowdon begins less than a mile away.
I thoroughly recommend a stay at the Pen y Gwryd. Those willing to embrace its eccentricities will be rewarded by a friendly and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I booked a room for a couple of nights because I didn't fancy sharing a dorm at the nearby hostel. What an amazing find.
The place reminds me of Jamaica Inn, tucked away in the middle of nowhere. It's about a mile from Pen-y-Pass which is the start of several routes up Snowdon. As the carpark there is extortionate and fills up by 8am it's easy to leave your car at the hotel and just walk a bit further free of charge.
I've read some of the negative reviews and can honestly say it wasn't like that when I was there. It was busy but the service was excellent. The breakfasts and dinners are very good quality. I didn't try the packed lunches. My only complaint was the time breakfast is served. In peak season at the weekends residents don't want to wait until 8:so to have breakfast. It should be earlier.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Best location of any hotel for walking around Snowdon - but be prepared to live with traditional approach - fixed times for breakfast and dinner - no key for rooms - no sinks in loos and only one shower for those not en-suite. The upside is lovely old fashioned bathrooms and being able to walk up Snowdon from the front door. We were very touched by our daughter being allowed to join the Snowdon Club and being presented with a silver pick-axe badge, which is awarded without charge to under 13s who walk up and down Snowdon. A few more creature comforts and a bit more service and flexibility would be appreciated...but we are very grateful and many will love it for what it is...

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2017

A friend was booked in on a scrambling course at nearby Plas Y Brenin and I was able to get a lift up for a three night stay at the Pen Y Gyryd (PYG).
The hotel has played an important role in mountaineering history, being the base for Sir John Hunt's pre 1953 Everset training and has long been a favourite haunt of mountaineers and enthusiasts for the great outdoors. You will find memorabilia and artifacts throughout the hotel.

It probably hasn't changed that much since Ed Hillary was a resident all those years ago, this is a big part of it's charm, the hotel hasn't succumb to too many mod cons. It is certainly more than a little quirky, no signing in or formal registration on arrival, no room keys (you can lock yourself in for the night though), breakfast and dinner religiously announced by a gong at 830 and 1930 prompt...
Despite the few eccentricities, I loved the place, the food and drink were good, staff very helpful and friendly, plus good banter with the other residents.
My main objective was to do some hillwalking and you won't find a more ideally situated hotel than the PYG. On my first day, despite very poor weather, I set out for Snowdon, there is now a path linking PYG to Pen Y Pass thus avoiding the dangerous walk along the road, from Pen Y Pass, I went up via the Pig Track and down the Llanberis Path, from Llanberis the "Sherpa" bus took me back up the pass to PYG. On my second day I enjoyed a fabulous walk in great weather taking the Miners Track (starts just a few yards from the hotel) up onto The Glyder's and then down into the Ogwen Valley, again I made use of the bus to return to base via Capel Curig.
So if you're a keen walker or budding mountaineer, I can very highly recommend a stay at the PYG, I certainly will return!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We visited this hotel on the back of a group walk to Snowdon. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. We arrived quite late on the Friday (just in time for a swift nightcap) but the staff remembered that we were off out before breakfast so showed us where our packed lunches would be and how to get out.
The hotel is a wonderful time warp of old mountain memories (Hilary and Everest) and service. The breakfast and diner are signaled with a gong , the quality of the food is good and the idea of a bracing swim in the lake followed by a warm-up in the sauna make for a visit that will always stay in our memory.

Room Tip: quiet, old fashioned service, but no modern 3 pin plugs in room!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
10.7 km away
Swallow Falls Hotel
Swallow Falls Hotel
#6 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Pen Y Gwryd Hotel? Share your experiences!