All reviews cold breakfast pleasant stay next morning alan ensuite
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Since moving to Corwen in February 2015 I have regularly visited this establishment having found my new home less than satisfactory even though I live right next door to a local B & B. I once spent several months at Plas Derwen & I have to say the grounds are spectacular & have everything I needed. The moomar especially is very nice & the doodar too but the moomar is best. So good is this place I had to be locked in an attic to stop me going as I was addicted. I found myself climbing down 4 storey's via a roof one night just to get to this fine place. I am pleased to say I am now cured due to the presence of cat nip in my own garden & I am now allowed out again. Plas Derwen will always be my special place but it doesn't have any cat nip!
So if you are not a cat please visit this fine place. It is beautiful inside & out & the dining is wonderful.
Yours Mr Tibbles (cat)

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank PhillipsBee
Reviewed 30 May 2017

We arrived slightly earlier than the advised check-in time but this was not an issue we were greeted by Chris with the warmest of welcomes. She said that she would show us our room then we could sort out our luggage. She also offered us fresh milk to make a hot drink which was a lovely touch.The room was so much better than I expected. It was extremely large with a double and single bed. The bathroom was also extremely large with both a bath and separate shower. We were also shown the rest of the house that we had access to, a lovely and cosy guest lounge and the dining room. You are only given a key to your room not a key to the house. To gain access you have to pull the door bell and either Chris or Alan will let you in, in fact sometimes you don't even have to ring as they see or hear you pull up so are ready waiting, on one occasion Chris was ready waiting with a jug of milk for my partners cup of tea. Some people may not like the idea of this but we thought it was lovely as they always asked about our day and took a keen interest in what we had done. Breakfast is a large cold breakfast with cereals fruit compote yogurt and cheese if you wanted and as much toast as you required more than enough and made a nice change from a full English. We did pay an extra £5.00 each to have a cooked breakfast on our last morning and it was lovely. Chris and Alan could not do enough to ensure that you have a pleasant stay and are so warm and welcoming the best B & B hosts we have encountered so far. Cannot wait to book again

Room tip: There are only two rooms we had the Oak Room which is at the front of the house.
Date of stay: May 2017
Reviewed 27 March 2016

This place is the family home of Christine and Alan and houses all their belongings (some of them beautiful) that they and their families have collected on their trips. However, the bedrooms are invaded by all their knick knacks and there is no space to put your own things either in the bedroom or the bathroom. The Hotel Inspector would certainly advise them to decorate the rooms elegantly simple and neutral; providing guests with space for their belongings. This is definitely not a place for children!!!. They also need to update the shower (ours was more noise than water). By the way, I could not find space to put my toothbrush. The room was cold and the flimsy, old, noisy and inefficient heater was useless. They need to invest in good heaters in every room. Another bad thing about this place is that, because it is their home, guests are not allowed a key so they have to knock on the door until they hear the bell: not a good thing.

Christine and Alan are a lovely couple who by the way, provided a wonderful breakfast in the dining room (full of knick knacks). Both came to the door every time we returned and wanted to know what we had done that day; they are both very entertaining but that is not the way to run a B&B. I told someone about it and she said that it looked as though it was a house full of flim flams!!!!!. I do hope that they listen to this amateur hotel inspector.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Christine S, Owner at Plas Derwen Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2016

To the amateur Hotel Inspectors!"

Décor is subjective.
Our website shows Plas Derwen Country House as it is :- don't like antiques
and travel memorabilia- then choose somewhere else.
If you have a problem with any of our facilities or hospitality please let
us know during your stay and we will do all we can to address your concerns.

To the real AA Hotel Inspectors- we thank you for awarding Plas Derwen
Country House B&B Accommodation 4 Gold Stars for the last 10 consecutive
years and giving us high praise for décor.

We are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and on leaving thanked us for a
very peaceful stay.

Reviewed 7 March 2016

This is an old rectory set in beautiful surroundings. Christine and Alan are very friendly and welcome you into their quirky home. Lots of interesting things to look at in each room and they are very happy to tell you about each one. The place is very peaceful, and in the summer it would be beautiful to sit in the surrounding gardens.

The breakfast (we had the continental) was of good quality and plentiful. If you want a traditional cooked breakfast you pay £5 per person. Tea and coffee was supplied in the rooms.

The only downsides are practical ones. We stayed when it was very cold weather and the room was a bit chilly. A fan heater was suplied, but it was noisy and a bit old fashioned. The shower flow was poor and again an old and noisy electric shower. It was difficult to find anywhere to put things on surfaces as there were lots of nick nacks in the room. You also had to knock to get in each time you went out as the front door was kept locked and no key supplied which felt a bit odd.

All in all I enjoyed my stay there, but would suggest some practical improvements would be good.

Date of stay: March 2016
1  Thank SeahorseWales
Reviewed 28 August 2015

You can look at the B&B's website and peruse the pictures, you can read the reviews which always say "warm and friendly" or "a great welcome" or "scenery is outstanding" and all of that is great. But I'm going to say, "Plas Derwen Country House" is much more than that.
Alan and Christine are definitely warm and friendly hosts. They'll do everything they can to make your stay pleasurable. Your accommodation will be more than adequate. Your bed will be comfy. There'll be a coffee/tea service available. And, your breakfast, whether cold or hot, will be fantastic. Don't miss the fruit compote. When your time to leave has come, you will leave either wishing you could stay longer or promising to return next time you're in the area.
From the moment you step through the front entrance, noticing the faint scent of incense in the air, you'll see that the house itself is much like a museum. Everywhere you look there are objects that reveal the hosts' interests and their families' history. An interest in the Orient is quite apparent, because, as Alan and Christine will tell you, if you inquire, there were ancestors whose desire to sail abroad meant that they brought back considerable evidence of their travels. Sculptures and other art objects, paintings and drawings, and decorative items abound for your investigation. The beauty of staying in B&Bs is the contacts you make. Alan and Christine have much to share with you. Ask questions. Listen to the great stories. Tell some of your own.
And, when you're ready to put you bags in the car, settle you account, and head on down the road, as I aid before, you'll wish you could stay longer or promise to return next time you're in the area. Plas Derwen is "A Fascinating Place to Stay." Thank you, Alan and Christine

Date of stay: July 2015