“Morning Coffee Break”

Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2017

While touring the western part of the brecon beacons national park we stopped off in LLandovery for a coffee, There is a large pay & display car park a short walk from the hotel (the castle car park) then the hotel is found on the exit of the car park. We had a warm greeting at the bar where we ordered our drinks 2 lattes & 1 hot chocolate, which were then prepared & brought to the table, The drinks were very good & hot, it seemed a very busy place with a lot of people coming in for food & drinks all of which looked very good. The building & decor seemed in keeping with the type of building & there seemed to be a lot of staff on duty. It was around £8 for the 3 drinks which is reasonable.
I would recommend stopping here for a drink & or a bite to eat if you are in the area.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel on a Saturday night. It's a lovely old building with beautiful rooms. The room had a massive bed, sofa, desk and complementary lollipops and water.

The bathroom was clean and tidy but the wall was really hot where the hot water pipes were behind it. Also there was a dodgy bifold door which was hard to close and you could see through the glass. This isn't very good when you're sharing the room and bed point directly at the door.

There was a wedding party which was really loud that finished at around midnight, but then the drunk load party goers were shouting around for another hour. At one point someone even attempted to get into the room thinking it was theirs.

The customer service was a bit poor. They weren't overlying interested when we arrived, and took ages to find someone to allow us to checkout. They also charged us for the room even though we paid through the agent. So had to sort that out with the agent to get a refund.

The breakfast was poor, food just wasn't very nice. They kept running out of coffee even though there was only 8 people eating.

I would recommend that if you stay here to check if there is a party on, otherwise you might not sleep.

1  Thank Terry P
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Popped in here for lunch today. Was served by a lovely European chap, great service; however whilst I was mid conversation with him, an older lady, who I assume was the manager decided to butt in and ask the chap about a problem she was having with the till. Not a great start.

I ate from the specials board (see picture), my wife ate from the main menu.

I had Plaice and my wife had 'pie of the day', which our friendly waiter explained, was Beef.

The Plaice was well cooked, but was served dripping g in butter, so much so that it was the dominate flavour of the dish. I moved the food to other side of the plate and was able to eat the meal, was actually very nice. The Plaice was served on Thai crushed potato, I can only assume this was cooked at the beginning of the day, had dried out by 14:00 when we ate, and the butter was to liven it up.

My wife's pie on the other hand was not cooked, the pastry tasted of flour and was inedible. See picture. The gravy was also mainly oil and not very nice to taste. My wife managed to eat the beef inside the pie and the chips. The beef was well cooked and in a tasty gravy.

Another waiter came to take our plates and I explained the situation, he agreed to remove the pie from the bill.

My wife noticed the rude lady from the bar, go into the kitchen following the waiter who agreed to remove my wife's meal from the bill.

I went to the bar to pay, and the waiter came back and said he would remove the drinks from the bill. I'm not sure why, as the drinks were fine. I didn't want to argue and accepted the new gesture.

The Castle Hotel is a lovely old building and full of character, the menu is extensive and the specials all looked very good. I can only think rude lady was having a bad day.

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Good varied menu & food was good. Nice rustic charm. Our visit was slightly spoilt by a wedding party that decided to congregate at the door & restaurant area! But otherwise it was ok

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Frozen uncooked fish not well sorted out. Went as part of a stay in the hotel.

Slow repayment with minimal apology and no offer of any other discount or recompense.