“Down-home restaurant with great prices”
Review of The Cupboard

The Cupboard
Ranked #168 of 1,558 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Gardens Area Association
Description: The Cupboard Restaurant has been serving up the freshest veggies in town since 1943. We serve breakfast all day, lunch and dinner, and offer a variety of catering options for groups both large and small. The Cupboard is also known for preparing fresh vegan and vegetarian dishes, as we do not use meat products in any of our veggies and many options are egg and cheese-free as well. The Cupboard prides itself on the fact that we have a number of customers who dine with us every single day.
Reviewed 6 February 2018

We have a tradition of taking a trip over the Thanksgiving holiday. This year we chose Memphis and Little Rock as our destination of choice.

Before we left home, I did my typical research for restaurant reviews. Since we were traveling over a holiday, I called ahead to inquire about the prices, reservations, etc. I called The Cupboard Restaurant and the kind woman that answered the phone confirmed that they would be open Thanksgiving Day and that they had a meat and three veggie plate for $11.51. I asked if that was the price for Thanksgiving and she said yes. I remarked that I expected it to be more since it was Thanksgiving and she said if it was good enough to charge in May then it was good enough to charge in November. I knew we had to visit.

We arrived and Memphis from Dallas and went straight to the restaurant. There was a line out the door but everyone coming out was saying it was definitely worth the wait. They also had someone come out with some warm cornbread muffins to whet our appetite and they were yummy.

The Cupboard restaurant has been a Memphis tradition for 70+ years. It has a down home diner feel where you would expect all the locals to hang out. It is a Memphis’ favorite casual home-cooking eatery. They will not accept reservations, but are always popular, so keep that in mind when planning your day.

I ordered the turkey, stuffing, cucumber and tomato salad, cranberry sauce and macaroni and cheese. I skipped dessert as we were planning on eating again later but it was all delicious and the wait staff was very friendly.

If you enjoy down-home cooking and are okay with a no-frills atmosphere then you will love the great food and great prices at The Cupboard. I would definitely try this again on my next visit to Memphis.

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

I️ have heard a lot about this place. I’m pleased to say I️ was able to experience them today. The portions are very large so come hungry. We all ordered a variety of foods and not a single person came up dissatisfied. The parking lot was packed so we anticipated a long wait. To our surprise and delight we were seated upon entering. They were adequately staffed for the lunch rush so we did not wait long for anything. I️ would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

No frills. Great food. Good prices. O my goodness, this is great. Food is well prepared. Plenty of comfort food. You can tell by the crowds of locals, this place is good!

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

We’ve eaten at 4 of the “best” BBQ places and the Arcade and our best meal was HERE. OMG the chicken and dressing, corn pudding, turnips, eggplant casserole, cornbread and green bean casserole were amazing!!!!!!!! Nice server and delicious hot food.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

For those who like traditional Southern fare, the Cupboard never disappoints. Recently the Cupboard served as a meeting place with out-of-town relatives passing through, and we enjoyed food and fellowship together. Gracing the walls are portraits and photos of celebrities and others who have dined at this historic spot. The menu offers a variety of meats and vegetables with different specials every day. The food is tasty, well-prepared, and moderately priced. I always get a veggie plate that includes turnip greens and fried green tomatoes. The eggplant casserole is famous in Midtown Memphis. Although fried chicken and catfish are popular, baked and grilled entrees are also available. I have not had breakfast at the Cupboard, but the menu looks very tempting! This restaurant is one of my favorites, and I expect to enjoy many more meals here.