“Good stuff!”

Jack Pirtle’s Chicken
Ranked #592 of 1,652 Restaurants in Memphis
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

If you want a good ol chicken box, this is you're spot! (Went to the one on Highland) And what's different is it comes with this peppery gravy for dipping I guess.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

It was sunday after church let out drove by the place was packed. Turned around decided to give it a try. Chicken was very good. Nothing like KFC. This place hands down blows away KFC.no seating drive thru or walk up window.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

This Jack Pirtles just isn’t the same. The quality of the food has changed for the worse. The gizzards taste awful; like they were overcooked in motor oil. The gravy is watery and tasteless! This really angers me to not have anything to cover up the bad tastes. Chicken pieces are smaller- they look more like baby bird pieces. You take your chances on taste. One day it is good, the next day it tastes like old, burnt grease. The steak sandwich has changed tremendously. The steak texture is of a fake, flattened nature. It has an ongoing burnt taste no matter how much gravy and cheese you put on it. This is no longer my favorite sandwich. whatever they have done, i wish they would change back. yeah not only has some of the staff changed but the food has too. one one Memphis’ finest has gone right down the drain! Good Riddens!!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 8 July 2017

I was mighty hungry when I spied "Jack Pirtle's Chicken Since 1957" and I figured it had to be decent if it's survived that long. I parked my car in the lot and ordered from a kindly lady at the walk-up window (there's also a drive-thru option).

None of the chicken was ready when I got there after 10 PM on a Thursday, so they prepped-to-order my "hot" tenders, which came w/ wavy fries and a biscuit & gravy. I also got a pepper, two small sides of BBQ sauce, and a sweet tea. Everything was ready in less than 10 minutes for less than $10 while I stood around a bleak parking lot.

There was nothing "hot" about the tenders (guess they forgot that part) but the batter was light, nicely seasoned, and the chicken was excellent. The biscuit was under-cooked and the fries were soft and a kinda soggy. The warm gravy was savory and had a natural consistency- that was good. The BBQ sauce was a bit chilled, but I like the sweet tomato-base style they serve, and the pepper was vinegar-soaked w/ barely any heat. The sweet tea was delicious.

I have no idea how consistent the food is at this Jack Pirtle's Chicken shack, and I should probably rate this "average" instead of "very good" because I can't recommend seeking it out. The price managed my expectations, however, and it definitely satisfied my hunger, so if you happen to drive by when not much else is open then it'll prolly work out for you too.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 1 June 2017

Let's just be honest. There are somethings some places offer that others don't. If you live in Memphis you know you have to go to Jack Pirtles. It has long been a staple in South Memphis, Whitehaven Orange Mound areas for years. The chicken well seasoned, the gravy is finger licking delicious especially when dipped with their biscuits. Add fries and a sweet tea OMG!!!

Date of visit: June 2017

Been to Jack Pirtle’s Chicken? Share your experiences!