“Afternoon Tea - poor service made worse by the manager”
Review of Chez Philippe

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Second Street
Description: The most opulent dining room in Memphis enthralls gourmands who relish its Old South splendor and the classic French cuisine of Executive Chef Andreas Kisler and Chef Robert McGrattan. In addition to being the only Forbes Four-Star and AAA Four-Diamond rated restaurant in the Mid-South, Chez Philippe has been named among Food & Wine magazine's "Top 50 Hotel Restaurants," described as "worth a special trip" by The New York Times and included on Open Table's list of Top 100 "Most Romantic Restaurants in the U.S." Located inside the historic Peabody Hotel. Dinner and Afternoon Tea served.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My partner and I went to Chez Phillipe for afternoon tea and I have to say it was pretty average, I have had much better in the UK and other places around the world and the customer service was horrendous. Never served just delivered - no small talk just rude and un-engaging never asked if we wanted more champagne just delivered the check and said no rush!! I Made a complaint to the manager Carl, didn’t ask for anything wasn’t after anything but was offered to have a few drinks on him before dinner. Agreed to his offer and we sat down to have drinks. Mentioned to waitress that we were there. Carl walked around and didn’t acknowledge us only really to gauge that it was indeed me that complained!!! Soo poor. All he had to do was welcome us and assure us that this was the true service we should get. Anyway so we ordered a couple of rounds of drinks as per his offer and when the 2nd round came out the waitress said these aren’t free! So when the bill came she didn’t even come over again to take payment for 10 minutes!! Carl no where to be seen (shock)... anyway so went up to the waitress and said how disappointed I was and how it could
Have made a poor experience better but only made it worse! The drinks were $30 I gave her $40 and said she should pass this comments on to her boss. I doubt she did!!

So bad and so disappointing.

Reviewed 21 October 2018

At Chez Phillipe food is A+. Service is A+. The menu includes package deals at $95 or $135 per person. We each took the $95 one, which consisted of 16 different selections. Food was excellent. The only complaint I would have is that the amount of vegetables one receives is miniscule. (I did not order the salad.) Here the ambiance is warm, the environment is clean, and the hostess is inviting. However, half the decor is gaudy--kinda like Las Vegas hotels. Apparently the decorator attempted to ring out France during the time of M. Antoinette, but that did not work. While the paintings were very well done, the draperies were too much.....It also would be an improvement if the decorator lowered the chandelier. I would return for the food or service, but not the decor.

1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

Over rated food and over priced. But excellent service and ambience. Don't order the Tasmanian trout

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Great service and great food. You see the perfection in every dish and detail served to you. Everything was perfect. The table side Caesar salad was a great experience. I highly recommend it. The smoked bourbon although a little pricey but was amazing! A very nice time and experience. I’d highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. Carolyn, the hostest was amazing and so was our server, Solomon and his team. The food was amazing to say the least and the presentation was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I would definitely recommend this restaurant

Been to Chez Philippe? Share your experiences!